• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about recording Illinois police

Tucker6900

Hey all!
I look at some of the threads here and havent found anything.

I know that there were a few cases in Illinois about people getting arrested for filming officers, and that the courts overturned them. However, here is my question.

Since those rulings called the law unconstitutional, are we now able to record LEO without fear of charges? I would assume not, but I figured I would ask.,

lockman

State Researcher
There have been two decisions in favor of recording police. One was a federal district court and the other a Cook County circuit court. Neither ruling is binding on other courts. I hope the state appeals as it would speed up a resolution.

Tucker6900

There have been two decisions in favor of recording police. One was a federal district court and the other a Cook County circuit court. Neither ruling is binding on other courts. I hope the state appeals as it would speed up a resolution.

Gotcha. Thanks for the information. Thats what I thought was the case, but I wanted to make sure.

EMNofSeattle

Be careful though, because some parts of Illinois it's going to take a while for the local constabulary to take a hint, expect more lawsuits and incidents before this blows over. not saying it's right. but some people just can't do their homework properly.