• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brand new in Kernersville

Tom79G

Hi everyone, I'm Tom. I live in Kernersville and I have stumbled upon this site while researching what my rights are as far as OCing. I do not own anything yet but I am currently saving up for a possible springfield 1911 or maybe something a little smaller , not sure yet. I figured this would also be a great place to really educate myself on where I am able to OC around Kernersville, Winston, and the Greensboro area. I've been reading alot of the posts on here but I haven't seen too much on any areas or any type of experiances in Kernersville. I would really like to come to any of the OC breakfasts or lunches in Kernersville and learn a little more for everyone. I would really like to know how KPD feels about OC in K-vegas. Also if anyone has any suggestions on purchasing a 1911 for my first gun to OC.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hi everyone, I'm Tom. I live in Kernersville and I have stumbled upon this site while researching what my rights are as far as OCing. I do not own anything yet but I am currently saving up for a possible springfield 1911 or maybe something a little smaller , not sure yet. I figured this would also be a great place to really educate myself on where I am able to OC around Kernersville, Winston, and the Greensboro area. I've been reading alot of the posts on here but I haven't seen too much on any areas or any type of experiances in Kernersville. I would really like to come to any of the OC breakfasts or lunches in Kernersville and learn a little more for everyone. I would really like to know how KPD feels about OC in K-vegas. Also if anyone has any suggestions on purchasing a 1911 for my first gun to OC.

Presume that you are located in Kernersville, NC - moving this thread to the NC sub-forum. Please post in appropriate location.

nobama

Welcome Tom, I take it your post was moved because your in the right spot. I also live in Kville and OC in the summer on a regular basis. I have OCed all over Kville where legal to do so without any problems (eccept one bed wetter in Lowes hardware) we had a dinner a year ago and I think someone called the cops on us because they came in and sat down across from us but didnt do anything so if they were checking us out,they did it correctly. We have dinners and some go for breakfast which I cant do. Read all you can and learn what to do,what not to do,how to act ect. Just remember OC can draw attention, but I find most people dont notice or care.

Tom79G

I'm glad everything went well for you and that the cops were being professional about everything. What is your opinion on getting a Springfield 1911 for a first time gun owner to OC around town?

nobama

I'm glad everything went well for you and that the cops were being professional about everything. What is your opinion on getting a Springfield 1911 for a first time gun owner to OC around town?

I dont have experience with a 1911,but a friend of mine does and he didnt like it. He said unless you buy an expensive "tuned" one,they can be very unreliable,but like I said I am only going by what he told me and he is a gun guy. Check you tube and do a little research. I would recomend a Glock 19 or 23,they are lighter and will feed anything,any time. I carry a Glock 26,small enough to conceal but big enough for OC.Also Glocks have a good selection of holsters like the Blackhawk serpa level 2 which is great for OC. Hope this helps.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

smlawrence

Welcome, I live in Colfax but OC all over kvegas where legal and have had very little problem. Most of the cops are OK with OC and the ones that aren't get over it I guess...lol. Hit me up when you get one and we will catch some coffee sometime. I was more comfortable with starting to OC when I had someone else with me, so I don't mind. I carry a Springfield xdM so I have no input on the 1911.

cricketdad

IMO, for a first time gun owner, NO. The 1911 is the greatest combat handgun ever. For first time carry get something simple. Then get a 1911 and train with it. You will know when to start carrying it as your carry gun.

jag06

Welcome! I live in kvegas as well. I have OC'ed in a lot of places around kvegas and have not had any problems. Springfield 1911's are great guns, if thats what you decide to go with, though I would suggest test firing one to make sure its comfortable for you to shoot. I guess its time we get another triad OC meetup together, seems to be a couple new OC'ers in the area.

allenjeremy

New in the triad.

Original poster,

I have a springfield GI that I have modded up with decent small parts.

It is currently at the smith getting better sights. When it comes back to me I would be happy to let you shoot it at calibers in Greensboro.

I currently carry a kahr cw45 in a mitch rosen http://www.kahr.com//P45-Holsters/K...de-Holster-w-Thumb-Break-Right-Hand-Black.asp
I like it for OC because of the thumb break retention.

I moved back to the area in June from a 3.5 year sting in northern va / DC

Everyone else,
We should definitely get a Triad OC meetup / dinner going.

JA

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--
We should definitely get a Triad OC meetup / dinner going.

Build it and they will come!

Pick a location, date and time - 10 to 12 days is sufficient - start a new thread w/date in the title and win a stickie!

Select 2 or 3 others as an ad hoc committee to make the decision as to when and where if that makes you more comfortable.
Have found that the announcement is all that it generally takes - even 4 or 5 meeting together is a success.

This is how we do it. Glance over the thread, but look at post #77, adding to the "confirmed" list generates enthusiasm.
http://tinyurl.com/6vz6alu

Good luck and have fun.

Tom79G

I really appreciate all the info everyone has given me on this. I have also talked to a couple of buddies of mine that are pretty crafty with guns and they also said that maybe a 1911 wouldn't be a great idea for a newbie but it is a good gun to get after I'm more comfortable with OC late on. I have used a few Glocks and I felt pretty good with all of them and I'm thinking I may go in that direction. If anyone decided to have a meeting I'm sure I would very much enjoy meeting any of you.

Tom79G

Good friend of mine took me out the other day shooting. He wanted to let me get a good feel for a few different handguns so I can make a better decision on what I'm going to OC. I shot the Springfield 1911, the xd, a glock 26 and a glock23 among other things that dont apply here. I believe I have made my decision and I'm going to be going with the Glock 23. I really like the weight of and the feel, felt pretty comfortable. Anyways, I was wanting to know from some of you on any positive or negative experiences with the Glock 23. I really like the OD Green.

jag06

Its a Glock, you won't have any problems. I have a Glock 21, in OD, love it. I don't remember off hand what caliber the 23 is, but if you have shot it and it feels comfortable to you, go for it. If you are worried about quality and durability of Glock's. don't. They are one of if not the toughest gun out there. All the models are basically the same, just slightly different sizes for each caliber and then scaled down for the compact and subcompact.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Its a Glock, you won't have any problems. I have a Glock 21, in OD, love it. I don't remember off hand what caliber the 23 is, but if you have shot it and it feels comfortable to you, go for it. If you are worried about quality and durability of Glock's. don't. They are one of if not the toughest gun out there. All the models are basically the same, just slightly different sizes for each caliber and then scaled down for the compact and subcompact.

A Glock 23 is a .40 cal compact w/fixed sights - same configuration as a Glock 19.

There are now 4 generations of Glocks - the Gen 4 has dual recoil springs for better control and interchangeable back strap, there are other differences i.e. chamber support, finish etc.

FoxFireArms

I have open carryed all over kvill and have yet to have a problem anywhere, i know when you open carry in gamestop they think sits pretty cool, dont know how offten you go to gamestop just saying. Also the only time i have ever heard anyone say anything about me open carrying it was a mexican lady at walmart and im not really sure what she said but i heard the word pistel. So it seems like you wont realy run into much trouble in kville its pretty calm.