• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FFL Paperwork error correction

Echo4PapaBravo

I didn't know where else to put this so I threw it up here.

So on March 28th I went into Dick's Sporting Goods in Olathe, Kansas and was looking at the H&R Pardner Protector 12ga. to tac out for HD. I filled out the paperwork and ended up being Delayed, had a DUI about 5 years ago and it always hold us my purchases, and they said they would call me when they got word back either way.

So I wait 3 business days, I believe the 28th was a Wednesday, and when I hadn't heard anything I called them back the next Tuesday and the guy on the phone says that they can't even call to find out what the hold up is and that they have to wait to hear from the FBI before they will release the weapon. So then I wait another 3 business days and when I haven't heard anything by that Friday I call them back. Same spiel as before, the guy didn't even go check the file. So I wait another couple business days and by that next Tuesday afternoon, April 10th, I'm pissed off so I go back to the store and ask the WTF. The guy tries telling me the same thing, cant release it until they hear back and can't call the FBI to check up on the Delay. So I have the guy give the the number and I called them myself. The lady I spoke with is going on and on about how they do things and basically not wanting to help until I finally ask her if she would just look and see if there is a note or anything saying a reason for delay. So she looks it up by my SSN and seems to get confused and asks to speak with the guy at the gun counter, so I give him the phone. He goes into the back and comes back out with my paperwork, which has a bright yellow Post-It note on it saying that it was given the Proceed on Monday April 2nd, 3 days after I filled out the app, and no one called me or even checked the file to see if there was a change either of the time I called in to check. Needless to say I'm seriously pissed at this point. So I sign and date the delivered line and the manager comes over and starts looking over the paperwork. No apology from him about how they messed up or will make it up to me or anything. After a few minutes the manager says that the manager who helped me the first night told me to write the year wrong on one of the date lines and he asks me to correct it and initial it, so I did. Then I left with my new 12ga.

Today, 6 days later, a different manager just called me and said they needed me to come back up to their store after all of that and put a date next to my initials because their district manager said they needed it on there. I tell her that I'm not going up there again after all that idiocy on their part just to put a date on an initialed correction that one of their managers incorrectly told me to put in the first place and another watched me correct and initial and didn't say anything about needing the date. So then she proceeds to tell me that she isn't going to argue with me and she will just have to give this over to her Loss Prevention person and see how they want to proceed. Are you kidding me? I told her that they need to take a look at there policies and procedures because they are horrible. Needless to say, I'll never be shopping at any Dick's Sporting Goods ever again.

I do have a question though, is there any legal issue I might face over not going back up there to put a friggin' date next to my initials on the correction, or is this just something they want for their ATF inspections and nothing I need to worry about? Because honestly, if it is just for their ATF inspections, I'd rather they get failed for this after the fiasco I endured.

Jack House

I'd tell em to sod off, unless they wanted to reimburse me expense plus extra to do so.

Threatening you with loss prevention? Seriously? I don't even know how to respond to that. I assume there is a corporate? I'd contact them.

They should have released the gun to you after three days, whether they ever heard back or not. That is the law.

As for delays, might like to consider investing in a CHL if you buy guns regularly. You won't have to do the background check if you have one.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Loss prevention is a joke, poorly made. Obviously you paid for it.

See any ATF record keeping as their problem.

Follow through with corporate if you wish. Enjoy your new shotgun.

Brimstone Baritone

As for delays, might like to consider investing in a CHL if you buy guns regularly. You won't have to do the background check if you have one.

Is that a Kansas thing, a Texas thing, or what? I know my Alabama CPL doesn't give me any special benefit at the gun counter.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
Is that a Kansas thing, a Texas thing, or what? I know my Alabama CPL doesn't give me any special benefit at the gun counter.

Kansas, Texas, and 18 other states meet the requirements of 18 U.S.C. § 922(t)(3)(A), which exempts from the federal NICS check if they have a license to purchase or carry a firearm that meets certain background check requirements. Alabama does not.

Last edited:

Jack House

Shame, here when I am looking at firearms, if I flash my CHL, I tend to receive preferential treatment. I reckon it might have to do with that. Sucks that I won't get carded too much longer, it's hit and miss now. :p