• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FL concealed app: ssn required?

xenophon

The app says SSN# is optional. Ok, got that. What about the fingerprint card? Instructions are not so clear on that one.

"SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER – Section 119.071(5)(a) 2, Florida Statutes, authorizes the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Licensing
to obtain social security numbers from applicants. Applicant social security numbers are maintained and used by the Division of Licensing for identification purposes,
to prevent misidentification, and to facilitate the approval process by the Division."

Thoughts from current FL holders?

IH8SPM

I'm a non resident and I included It on both the prints card and app. On numerous calls to them for actual status updates they use it to verify me. A SS to me is not something I worry about keeping confidential on legal apps.

Last edited:

rmodel65

you do not have to put your SSN...its illegal for them to demand a SSN from you except in certain situations

RRobaldo

Your SSN is absolutely not required. However if there are felons who share your name, it makes it easier for them to identify you. Without it, your application may be denied and require appeal, or they may delay it while they try to positively identify you.

On the other hand, the fingerprint card is absoltely required. All applicants must have their fingerprint cards examined by the FBI before your Florida CCW will be issued.

Phssthpok

you do not have to put your SSN...its illegal for them to demand a SSN from you except in certain situations

like the application for your drivers license/ID card/Passport, which they DO require for a Concealed license.

They'll get your State Slave Number one way or another.:mad:

ickthus

Your SS# is on the other documents that they have so i didn't see why not so... another thing they don't tell you up front is you do not have to pay for gun classes (CCW classes) if you have other proof. I used my NRA score sheets from High Power Service Rifle competitions. I put a print out of two years of score sheets in my packet and had no problem. I also went to my Sheriff's office and did the finger print thing and saved a few bucks on the hard copy. If you don't have the years of firearms use and grow up with them, get the training. Your freedom and rights come with a price and that is to be a responsible and ready American. Know your limitations and act right.