• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing after hernia surgery

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Even with the pain meds I can still tell if there's any sort of strain, it doesn't make me completely numb. They definitely help make things comfortable when I'm sitting or laying down doing nothing! About the only thing I've really done this week is walk around the house, which the doc said to do as much as I can. Other than that, no lifting.

I suppose to keep it OC related, my nightstand is carrying my 1911 for me, right out in plain view!

With the hammer back? :eek:

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
Hey .45,
Did they do a laparoscopic repair, or an open repair of your hernia?

If Laparoscopic, you should be allowed to return to light duty in 48 hours and full duty in two to 3 weeks as you noted. All depends on pain tolerance. YMMV of course and nothing is set in stone.

If you are allowed light duty, you should be able to OC, as a couple of pounds (39oz) for a .45 would not be considered heavy lifting or straining. Of course, if your doc has returned you to work for light duty, he has to spell out on your physical restrictions sheet exactly how many pounds you are limited to lifting, how far you can bend, whether you can climb ladders/stairs, operate machinery, and exactly what you can and cannot do at work, which would tell you what your weight restrictions are.

You would have two to three scars if done Laparoscopically. Generally one larger scar if it was done by the open approach, and that would be a horse of a different color as far as recovery goes.

Cheers.

.45ACPaddy

He said it was a laparoscopic surgery but it looks to be a 2.5" incision... At one point it looked like three smaller ones almost end to end with the ends beside each other. No lifting more than 15 pounds for 3 weeks from the day of surgery as well as light duty at work.

I might put on my carry rig to see how it feels and go from there. I'd rather take it slow, though.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
He said it was a laparoscopic surgery but it looks to be a 2.5" incision... At one point it looked like three smaller ones almost end to end with the ends beside each other. No lifting more than 15 pounds for 3 weeks from the day of surgery as well as light duty at work.

I might put on my carry rig to see how it feels and go from there. I'd rather take it slow, though.

Following surgery, I found that suspenders were a major benefit in keeping the pressure/weight away from the sensitive area. Adaptation to fit the circumstances being a key element - suspenders do the job.

I like these as the do not depend on snaps or buttons. They hook under the belt and are available from your local Wal-Mart and other fine stores. :D

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran

Interesting that one is 2.5 inches long. Usually 3 sites of an inch or less from all the surgeries I've seen, but there can be variations in approach. At 15 lbs you should be good to carry. It is more the stress from your pants/belt pressing on the sites and underlying tissue. Laparoscopic has minimal muscle involvement, and they use a mesh to keep your guts inside where they should be.

Take it slow and see how you feel:)