• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New/Returning from Tri-Cities, refresh of recent law changes since '10

Soekris5501

Hello,

I took a long break (ie got a girlfriend) from opencarry.org and have not been involved in the OC/CC community since 2010. I have had a permit since 08, however I have never actually utilized it due to lack of a proper carry pistol.

However, I just recently purcahsed a Sig1911 and am ready to start OCing throughout the Tri-Cities area.
I have not kept upto date with any law changes since 2010 and dont know if there are any new restrictions on carrying open or concealed. If anyone could tell me the RCWs or any recent rulings since '10 I would greatly appriciate it.

A few specific questions I had:
1. It looks like WA is trying to pass a law making OC illegal. Is this true? And has it passed yet?
2. Is college carry still legal.
3. What regulations apply to carrying within fair grounds and concerts/statiums, someone mentioned a non 9.41 law a few years ago that restriected carry in statdiums not mentioned in the 9.41 section, I believe it was in the 30.x section, but I could be mistaken.
4. Is bank and church carry still permitted?

Additionally, I would love to have another lunch meeting/dinner with any OCers in the Tri-Cities area. Especially from the members that remember me from two years ago, I would love to catch up.

Looking forward to hearing from all of you about the above questions!

Jayd1981

1. It looks like WA is trying to pass a law making OC illegal. Is this true? And has it passed yet?

Washington Cease Fire is trying to, they won't be able to.

There is no RCW prohibiting it, but as a student you are agreeing to follow the campus rules and they can prohibit students from carrying by rule and threaten you with expulsion.

3. What regulations apply to carrying within fair grounds and concerts/statiums, someone mentioned a non 9.41 law a few years ago that restriected carry in statdiums not mentioned in the 9.41 section, I believe it was in the 30.x section, but I could be mistaken.

You have a CPL so stadiums cannot restrict you.

Those are both private property and can allow or prohibit as they wish. There is no RCW prohibiting carry in either location so it is not against the law.

For the most part the Tri Cities is fairly OC friendly. There has been a few incidents but they have been addressed to my knowledge.

hermannr

Hello,

I took a long break (ie got a girlfriend) from opencarry.org and have not been involved in the OC/CC community since 2010. I have had a permit since 08, however I have never actually utilized it due to lack of a proper carry pistol.

However, I just recently purcahsed a Sig1911 and am ready to start OCing throughout the Tri-Cities area.
I have not kept upto date with any law changes since 2010 and dont know if there are any new restrictions on carrying open or concealed. If anyone could tell me the RCWs or any recent rulings since '10 I would greatly appriciate it.

Additionally, I would love to have another lunch meeting/dinner with any OCers in the Tri-Cities area. Especially from the members that remember me from two years ago, I would love to catch up.

The concert thing is "outdoor music festival schedualed for 4 hours or more" Think woodstock at the Gorge. I think that is in RCW 70, do a search if you really want the specifics.

As for the fair, stadiums and convention halls...local governments can only restrict carry if you do not have a CPL. There is a discussion going on right now where Orphan is working at getting Spokane to change their law to comply with state law.

There is no legal restriction on banks or churches. I just carried into both this last week. Can a state college legally restrict your on campus carry? Not in my opinion, but it has never been through the court system here so you either need to be prepaired to fight it, or go by the student (or employee) handbook for the college you wish to attend...not all colleges in WA restrict, check the handbook.

Biggest legal thing here in the last year or so is the Seattle parks ban...struck down, appeal concured, Supremes refused to review, no Seattle parks ban.

jt59

Hello,

It's all here.... http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?Cite=9.41, you'd do well to have a read and refresh your memory.

As to your questions....here is what I think I know....

1.) Are you referring to a proposed bill in the recent legislature here? I am not aware of any legislative effort to call out OC specifically. Please cite your question for clarity.

2.) It varies, some is no, others are restricted policy to students and different for 'non-students".

3.) Review the link above, it is specific along with the exemptions

4.) Again, review the link, these are not called out and as such are allowed, subject to local business policy. There are a number of threads regarding OC friendly Banks. I OC at BECU, Wells Fargo, Chase, BOA and have never had an issue, but others have in some instances and locals. I don't know but one example of an OC'r at his church, but again it is based on local decisions....

...since you're asking on restrictions, you may want to review the Bar stuff, and at the top of the page are several good resources on AG opinions as well as some of the PD training bulletins.

Welcome back!

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
It's all here.... http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?Cite=9.41, you'd do well to have a read and refresh your memory.

Not only there but here as well, ensure you read and understand the definition of a Music Festival;
Chapter 70.108 RCW
Outdoor music festivals

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=70.108

For the purposes of this chapter the following words and phrases shall have the indicated meanings:
(1) "Outdoor music festival" or "music festival" or "festival" means an assembly of persons gathered primarily for outdoor, live or recorded musical entertainment, where the predicted attendance is two thousand persons or more and where the duration of the program is five hours or longer: PROVIDED, That this definition shall not be applied to any regularly established permanent place of worship, stadium, athletic field, arena, auditorium, coliseum, or other similar permanently established places of assembly for assemblies which do not exceed by more than two hundred fifty people the maximum seating capacity of the structure where the assembly is held: PROVIDED, FURTHER, That this definition shall not apply to government sponsored fairs held on regularly established fairgrounds nor to assemblies required to be licensed under other laws or regulations of the state.

RCW 46.10.495
Additional violations — Penalty.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.10.495
(1) No person shall operate a snowmobile in such a way as to endanger human life.
(2) No person shall operate a snowmobile in such a way as to run down or harass deer, elk, or any wildlife, or any domestic animal, nor shall any person carry any loaded weapon upon, nor hunt from, any snowmobile except by permit issued by the director of fish and wildlife under RCW 77.32.237.
(3) Any person violating this section is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.
[2003 c 53 § 234; 1994 c 264 § 37; 1989 c 297 § 4; 1979 ex.s. c 182 § 11; 1971 ex.s. c 29 § 13. Formerly RCW 46.10.130.]

Last edited: