• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

well this was a little awkward

rideco

I have only been OCing a little while but the general jitters are gone and I really dont think about it much. Well I was at my local walmart last night minding my own business when all of a sudden I heard a scream. "GUN GUN!!!" in a very high pitch panicked childs voice behind me. I quickly look around to make sure that someone has not pulled out a gun in the store and then quickly decide I am "gulp" the guy with the gun. I decide to be discreet go about my business keep moving and finish my shopping. Long story short no big deal but man it really felt awkward. I really dont get any attention when I OC and for the most part the only people that say anything to be are pro gun types. It was just really weird situation and I chalk it up to: Most parents these days dont expose their kids to guns and so they are shocked when they come across them. This is a subject for an entire thread but lets just say I disagree with this 100% and the more kids know about guns and gun safety the safer they are going to be in general.

Now I know for a fact my kids would have just been like what ever a guy with a gun on his hip no big deal. I am raising them to respect guns and be safe safe around them. Things turned out fine but I figured I would share this experience and see what you people thought about it. I really did not feel like it would have been a good idea to approach the child/parent and explain OC, guns rights, and the second amendment but man I wish attitudes on guns where the same when I was a child. sigh times have changed.
rideco

ppardue1

Others might have better suggestions but I handled it the same way you did. I had a man in Food City begin screaming "That guy's got a gun." I ignored him and so did everyone else. He shut up after he noticed that no one cared.

Red Dawg

It's an unfortuante fact of life, but with the shootings that have been going on in the last few years, parents are teaching their kids to scream things Like "Gun, gun", and if anyone touches them in public they scream too. I had a kid about 5 years old scream at the top of his lungs, "Don't touch me", when I put a hand on his shoulder to walk by in a store aisle. Embarrassing, to say the least..

MyWifeSaidYes

Others might have better suggestions but I handled it the same way you did. I had a man in Food City begin screaming "That guy's got a gun." I ignored him and so did everyone else. He shut up after he noticed that no one cared.

And when you see this guy in the parking lot, point at him and shout, "He's unarmed! He's unarmed!" :p

MKEgal

If you're in a more cantankerous mood than simply ignoring the idiot,
get out your phone & call police.

Or make a video of the person creating a disturbance & have someone with you call police.
Or vice versa.

At least here in WI, the definition of DC includes "conduct that provokes or tends to provoke a disturbance".
Also, an adult could be charged w/ reckless endangerment - it's reasonably forseeable that others would be alarmed & try to run away, thereby potentially injuring themselves & others.

"There's this guy here screaming "GUN! GUN!" and people are looking scared, but the only person I see with a gun has it in a holster & is just grocery shopping like everyone else."

Last edited:

OC for ME

Walk up to him and calmly state: "Get behind me, I will protect you, because I am legally armed....now, where is the guy with the gun?"

M-Taliesin

Walk up to him and calmly state: "Get behind me, I will protect you, because I am legally armed....now, where is the guy with the gun?"

Howdy Pard!
Now that's flat out hilarious right there. Outstanding!!!

Only problem is, he'd start running as soon as you locked eyes on him and moved his way.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

JamesB

Kids do say the darnedest things.

I gotta remember to train my daughter to scream that one out too... I think it's important that she point out to me other, like minded individuals who may just wanna be friends, like M-T.

LoneEchoWolf

HA HA you guys since of humor is spot on, i think you reacted like any normal person would have, but i agree next time take a video of it while calling the police to report a public disturbance. that man could have caused way bigger issues than he could have ever imagined if lets say a unknowing shaky leo was there and decided to shoot first and ask second. weirder things have happened.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I decide to be discreet go about my business keep moving and finish my shopping.

You handled that well. I wouldn't make a mountain out of a molehill unless the kid (or adult) kept screaming. If they did, I'd videotape them while calling the police.

The only interaction I've ever had with a child is when I turned a corner in the supermarket and a young boy, about five, looked at me and asked, "Is that a real gun?" I smiled and replied, "Why, yes! It is a real gun!" His jaw dropped in awe!

I once had a middle-aged woman walk up and me and say, "I don't like guns" to which I replied with a smile, "Well, Ma'am -- I don't like criminals!" She grinned and said "Touche'!"