• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

POLICE: Troy man arrested after carrying loaded rifle in downtown Birmingham

PDinDetroit

As far as the ownership question of the rifle, whatever happened to "Possession is 9/10ths of the law"? Or is that just when it's convenient for them? If its a bag of weed, or an unregistered gun, or a stolen item, it's yours according to the prosecution.

Methinks the cops wanted a nice 1500$ rifle for themselves.

PS. Thanks John.

There have been reports that this was an M1 .30 Cal Carbine with a Single .30 Cal Round Loaded. I believe you can pick those up for far less than $1500 (can pick up an M1 Garand for cheaper than that as well).

PDinDetroit

Thought it was an M1A, sorry. Isnt a .30 carbine M1 a collectable?

Depends if it is USGI or a "Retail Replica". Plenty of "Retail Replica" Universal .30 Carbine M1's out there for sale, usually less than $400 with some amount of ammo included (but many are "problem children"). There have been 2 Plainfields (another "Retail Replica") that I have looked at recently, right around $350-$450. Heck, Kahr is making them BRAND NEW under the Auto-Ordnance Label...

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/Firearms/Auto-Ordnance-AOM130.asp

PDinDetroit

The person is now in "good legal hands"...

Shyster - OCDO said:
Since it is now public record I can state that I have been retained to represent Mr. Combs.

There has been a lot of speculation and misstatement of laws and facts in this thread. My only comment is that once all of the FACTS of this case are disseminated I am confident in a favorable conclusion of this matter.

Hevymetal

The Detroit News picked up the story

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...Birmingham?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

The youth's attorney, James Makowski, says Combs had a clear understanding of the law when he decided to walk down the street with his 1942 military-issue semiautomatic rifle. "It isn't my style, but it's his right," Makowski says. "I've never had a client who is so clearly in the right."

PDinDetroit

Tucker6900

Birmingham Police Chief Don Studt, whose officers arrested Combs on April 13, acknowledges the constitutionality of Combs' decision to carry his gun, but said "this guy was creating a disturbance and he wouldn't cooperate"

If find this Chief to be contradictory in his statements. He understands that he can do it, but he wasnt cooperating? The only disturbance came from the police pressing an issue that they had no lawful right to press. Since he was doing nothing wrong, there was no need to cooperate.

I think these charges will be dropped, and we will have yet another firearm rights victory in our hands.

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
If find this Chief to be contradictory in his statements. He understands that he can do it, but he wasnt cooperating? The only disturbance came from the police pressing an issue that they had no lawful right to press. Since he was doing nothing wrong, there was no need to cooperate.

I think these charges will be dropped, and we will have yet another firearm rights victory in our hands.

How is it victory for firearm rights?

stainless1911

Banned
Education to the public, and to the police? Media coverage of open carry? The guy made a very public demonstration of the foolishness of our laws, in that one has to be 21 to get a handgun from a licensed dealer? Im speculating here, not wanting to put words in his mouth.