• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

POLICE: Troy man arrested after carrying loaded rifle in downtown Birmingham

DanM

Glock9mmOldStyle said:
I cannot believe they (BPD) are pushing forward on these flimsy charges.

Try to spank 'em young and spank 'em hard, if you want quiet, compliant sheep who will toe the authorities' line.

Not too hard to believe BPD's attempts here, if you know that too many agents of the state have the above outlook on the unwashed masses.

Evidently, they were hoping this man of relative youth would buckle under their boot, and apologize for having scuffed their sole. Glad he's showing them otherwise.

Last edited:

Haman J.T.

Doc Thompson covered this on his show today(1270AM) and will be putting info on his FaceBook page,looking for our support!

royaloaker

I am glad he had the support that he did. Sounds like there had been some shots fired in the area a few nights before so he was making sure he was protected. I can remember when I was 16 and I went to a concert at the Royal oak Music theater. It was Ronnie Montrose and after the show my friend and I got to meet Ronnie and hung out backstage and then helped the roadies load up the equipment. When we realized it was almost 3:30am and we were going to be in a world of hurt from our parents, we started jogging home through the dark streets. We heard someone singing and so we hid in a shadow on Washington ave and watched a man dressed in full camo, face painted and everything, run past with a rifle singing "Happiness is a warm gun" by the Beatles. We were scared big time. that was about 32 years ago LOL. We called my dad to come get us. Figured his punishment would be better than what might have happened if that camo'd singer found us.

PDinDetroit

I am glad he had the support that he did. Sounds like there had been some shots fired in the area a few nights before so he was making sure he was protected. I can remember when I was 16 and I went to a concert at the Royal oak Music theater. It was Ronnie Montrose and after the show my friend and I got to meet Ronnie and hung out backstage and then helped the roadies load up the equipment. When we realized it was almost 3:30am and we were going to be in a world of hurt from our parents, we started jogging home through the dark streets. We heard someone singing and so we hid in a shadow on Washington ave and watched a man dressed in full camo, face painted and everything, run past with a rifle singing "Happiness is a warm gun" by the Beatles. We were scared big time. that was about 32 years ago LOL. We called my dad to come get us. Figured his punishment would be better than what might have happened if that camo'd singer found us.

Welcome to OCDO!

davidmcbeth

Banned
COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Totally inappropriate and not welcome on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
The Judge will decide (Wed.) 6/20/2012 if the case goes forward or not...

48th District Court
4280 Telegraph Road
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302

Does anyone know when the hearing starts tomorrow? I would like to attend but not waste the entire day as the court hours are 8:30am to 4:30pm.

Thanks for any info.

- G9OS

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
clumsy report by fox 2
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/18833318/2012/06/20/gun-toting-teen-expected-in-court-20120620
strange that fox 2 said that advocates were supposed to be there and didn't show up. i wonder where they got their information. probably just made it up, they are fox news after all.

I have to agree fox 2 Detroit is less than stellar often in their reporting. Hey they gave a very detailed report on when the trial will be: Next month. Nice.

Let's hope his lawyer has multiple witnesses to rebut the creative testimony the prosecutor will trot out in this dog & pony show...

Well if you guys are up for another visit to Birmingham during one of their community events I am too. After all this is not a gun issue, it is a feelings issue and the police in Birmingham got theirs hurt by this kid and they are hell bent on getting "payback" in my honest opinion.

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Uh oh ... the deck "appears" to be stacked...

http://www.oakgov.com/dc48/elected_off_bio/bio_barron.html

Judge Barron's bio - It looks like we have another Judge Aqualina "cherry picked" for us OC people by the powers that be? I hope he proves me very wrong. If this ruling goes against this kid it could effect ALL gun carries CC/OC should their gun be seen in public. This could be a green light to all local police to question / detain / arrest / issue tickets, to see what sticks?

Marc Barron
District Judge

Judge Marc Barron serves as Judge of the 48th District Court, which includes the communities of Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, Bloomfield Township, Keego Harbor, Orchard Lake, Sylvan Lake and West Bloomfield Township.

Elected to the Court in 2004 to succeed Judge Edward Avadenka, Marc Barron has been a career Oakland County Prosecutor, with 12 years service in District, Circuit and Family Courts. In his 7 years as Oakland County Assistant Prosecutor for Major Crimes, he handled only the most serious criminal cases including murder, assault, criminal sexual conduct and other felonies.

Born and raised in Oakland County, he attended Andover High School before earning his Bachelor of Science Degree in Economics and Finance (with honors) from the University of Arizona. He continued his honors studies at American University and the Washington College of Law where he earned his Juris Doctorate Degree, then clerked at the Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. prior to returning home to Oakland County.

Judge Barron is active in the Oakland County Bar Association Inn of Court Program, as well as Oakland County Teen Court where he served both as Prosecutor and now as Judge. For ten years he was Instructor in Crimes Against Property and Crimes Against Persons at the Oakland Police Academy.

Judge Barron is a member of the Child Abuse Neglect Council/Care House of Oakland County Advisory Board, American Judges Association, Michigan District Judges Association, State Bar of Michigan, Oakland County Bar Association, Oakland County Criminal Justice Coordinating Council and Birmingham Rotary Club.

Last edited:

WilDChilD

http://www.oakgov.com/dc48/elected_off_bio/bio_barron.html

Judge Barron's bio - It looks like we have another Judge Aqualina "cherry picked" for us OC people by the powers that be? I hope he proves me very wrong. If this ruling goes against this kid it could effect ALL gun carries CC/OC should their gun be seen in public. This could be a green light to all local police to question / detain / arrest / issue tickets, to see what sticks?

Marc Barron
District Judge

Judge Marc Barron serves as Judge of the 48th District Court, which includes the communities of Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, Bloomfield Township, Keego Harbor, Orchard Lake, Sylvan Lake and West Bloomfield Township.

Elected to the Court in 2004 to succeed Judge Edward Avadenka, Marc Barron has been a career Oakland County Prosecutor, with 12 years service in District, Circuit and Family Courts. In his 7 years as Oakland County Assistant Prosecutor for Major Crimes, he handled only the most serious criminal cases including murder, assault, criminal sexual conduct and other felonies.

Born and raised in Oakland County, he attended Andover High School before earning his Bachelor of Science Degree in Economics and Finance (with honors) from the University of Arizona. He continued his honors studies at American University and the Washington College of Law where he earned his Juris Doctorate Degree, then clerked at the Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. prior to returning home to Oakland County.

Judge Barron is active in the Oakland County Bar Association Inn of Court Program, as well as Oakland County Teen Court where he served both as Prosecutor and now as Judge. For ten years he was Instructor in Crimes Against Property and Crimes Against Persons at the Oakland Police Academy.

Judge Barron is a member of the Child Abuse Neglect Council/Care House of Oakland County Advisory Board, American Judges Association, Michigan District Judges Association, State Bar of Michigan, Oakland County Bar Association, Oakland County Criminal Justice Coordinating Council and Birmingham Rotary Club.

The article said it was a jury trial. Would the judge have much influence over that? Or is the article wrong, but it can't be I read it on the Internet.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
The article said it was a jury trial. Would the judge have much influence over that? Or is the article wrong, but it can't be I read it on the Internet.

Sorry my wording was bad. * If this case goes against Mr. Combs.*

To answer your question - The Judge is like a official in a sporting event. He/She is supposed to be neutral and without bias to either team. If the Judge is biased that can totally change the case (usually against the defendant). The Judge can instruct the Jury to ignore testimony, keep evidence or witnesses from be brought before the Jury, over rule objections that could help either side. In short the Judge can have enormous control over the outcome of a jury trial. It is clear that this man has been around people who for the most part frown on the OC/2A community. I am sure the police and rotary (businesses owners) of Birmingham have made their "feelings" clear to him over the nearly 3 months since this happened. Let's hope he rules from law and not "feelings" like his fellow judge (Ms. Aqualina) in Lansing did in the case of CADL vs MOC. I see this case headed for the appeals court already. Again I hope and pray that I am wrong.

Last edited:

DanM

Glock9mmOldStyle said:
I can see the tracks being laid for this kid's rail-road job as we speak...

In order for a rail-roading to succeed, the defendant has to lose heart somewhere along the way of taking his case through local court, the various appellate levels, the state supreme court, and/or SCOTUS.

All of us who OC are at risk of a rail-roading attempt. We all know this, accept it, and understand that if we don't have the intestinal fortitude to face any potentially grueling and long judicial process, then perhaps we should practice a different mode of carry. It remains to be seen if Sean drew the short straw this time, and will have to fight some rail-roading attempt. But if so, the young man and ourselves need to rise to the occasion.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
In order for a rail-roading to succeed, the defendant has to lose heart somewhere along the way of taking his case through local court, the various appellate levels, the state supreme court, and/or SCOTUS.

All of us who OC are at risk of a rail-roading attempt. We all know this, accept it, and understand that if we don't have the intestinal fortitude to face any potentially grueling and long judicial process, then perhaps we should practice a different mode of carry. It remains to be seen if Sean drew the short straw this time, and will have to fight some rail-roading attempt. But if so, the young man and ourselves need to rise to the occasion.

+1

Let us make sure the good people of Birmingham understand the only people in this case that violated the law were the police from all accounts to date.

Last edited: