• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Please hit this poll.

Haz.

We need all the help we can get to fight for our sport and our rights..

Ipswich candidate Jim Dodrill says Guns and Weapons Expo at Collingwood Park Sports Centre should be closed down

Link: http://www.couriermail.com.au/quest...sed-down/story-fn8m0yo2-1226327996620Results: Guns and Weapons Expo

Thanks for voting!

Should the Guns and Weapons Expo be allowed to operate in Ipswich?
Yes 63.21% (134 votes).

No 36.79% (78 votes)

Total votes: 212

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
``Every person in Division 3 who I have spoken to about this issue is outraged about the misuse of a community sports centre especially in light of the recent rate of gun crime and the conflict with community values.

Apparently the gentleman has been rather selective in who he has spoken to. 66+% say the Expo should be allowed while 34+% say "No". Unless I totally misremember my basic math that's 2:1 in favor of keeping it. Even though Australia is no more a democracy than the USA, the folks who operate by "feelings" seem to put an awful lot in store regarding deciding things "the democratic way". Seems if that's the case the anti's lose.

stay safe.

Haz.

Its still early, the poll hasnt been up long. The way its going I wouldnt be surprised its taken down soon. It seem to be backfiring against Jim Dodrill. Some of the readers comments are uplifting.

One example;
"How unique. A 'wanna be' politician resorting to cheap sensationalism and relying on perceived public ignorance, to try and con people into voting for him. News flash Mr. Dodrill. The people involved here are law abiding citizens, and they are doing nothing wrong. If you want to make a difference that's legitimate, look at arms smuggling, bikie gangs,alchohol violence or theft. You could even do something worthwile like looking at idiots who drive whilst texting. Or how about this for a legitimate council issue...Get the bins in the parks emptied. Your stance with this, and I am not a gun enthusiast the way, proves to me that you are all about 'show for self gain'. Thanks for helping me decide who I'm not voting for."

Seems we have some sane, non-anti people left Down Under. The above comment was made by a non-sporting shooter.

As an aside, were the only democracy I know of in the western world where we are forced to vote? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes 65.42% (157 votes)

No 34.58% (83 votes)

Total votes: 240

Last edited:

Haz.

There are two pictures accompanying this article. One is a group of elderly law abiding sporting hunters and shooters going about their business. The ohter is a picture of two trays of hand guns, with the caption beneath the picture;

"Deadly force: Some of weapons sold at the Guns and Weapons Expo. Source: Quest Newspapers."

How is that for the usual garbage we law abiding sporting shooters have to continually endure Down under regarding our chosen sport written by half whitted newspaper reporters seeking a headline, never letting the truth get in their way.

Poll result so far.

Yes 65.62% (210 votes).

No 34.38% (110 votes)

Total votes: 320

Cheers, Haz.

Dreamer

So this Dottril guy said"
"Every person in Division 3 who I have spoken to about this issue is outraged about the misuse of a community sports centre especially in light of the recent rate of gun crime and the conflict with community values"

Seems to me that Australia should have PLUMMETING gun crime rates because it's pretty much illegal for the average citizen to buy a handgun, and long guns are heavily restricted.

Obviously the reports of rising gun crimes in AU are completely fabricated and made-up, since everyone knows that "gun control" laws are actually effective against criminals, and EVERYONE abides by them--even criminals...

<sarcasm OFF>

Haz.

So this Dottril guy said"

Seems to me that Australia should have PLUMMETING gun crime rates because it's pretty much illegal for the average citizen to buy a handgun, and long guns are heavily restricted.

Obviously the reports of rising gun crimes in AU are completely fabricated and made-up, since everyone knows that "gun control" laws are actually effective against criminals, and EVERYONE abides by them--even criminals...

<sarcasm OFF>

Hi Dreamer. Before the gun steal back by the Howard Government gun crime was in fact decreasing. Its only since the strick controls, the banning of some catagories of firearms and the innumerable hoops and legal checks and balances one has to go through to even own or purchase a firearm that gun crime is in fact rapidly increasing. The massive amount of driveby shootings in Sydneys west by drug gang wars, bikie gang wars using illegally imported firearms and such the Greens and the anties are this moment calling for further bans and tightening of our already strict firearms laws.

The small minority of Greens which sided with and helped labour win government here and hold the balance of power have called on the Australian Prime minister to ban all handguns all thogether.

If Julia Gillard backs this call it will only prove that she, along with Barry O'Farrell, premier of NSW seem compleatly hell bent on keeping a pool of unarmed law abiding victims available for the predations of the criminal class. The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
No matter how one approaches the figures, one is forced to the rather startling conclusion that the use of firearms in crime was very much less when there were no controls of any sort and when anyone, could buy any type of firearm without restriction. Since the introduction of strict controls on firearms there is now a far greater use of them in crime than ever before.

Haz.

Australian PRIME Minister Julia Gillard asked to join push against handguns

For those interested, heres the article.

April 17, 20122:47PM

needs to step in and work with the states to ban semi-automatic handguns in response to Sydney's plague of drive-by shootings, a gun control group says.

The guns are the weapon of choice for criminals terrorising western Sydney because they are lightweight and easy to handle, says Samantha Lee, chair of the National Coalition for Gun Control.

"Sydney is drowning in drive-by shootings," she told reporters today.

"It is actually time for the prime minister to step in, like (former prime minister) John Howard did in 2002 after the Monash shooting, and in 1996 after the Port Arthur massacre."

Five shootings were recorded overnight in western Sydney, four of which are believed to be part of an ongoing turf war between the Hells Angels and Nomads bikies.

There have been eight shootings in Sydney's west in just four days and 19 so far this month.

"It is time for the prime minister to call on all the states and territories to ban semi-automatics across Australia," Ms Lee said.

"The Premier Barry O'Farrell should initiate this conversation with the prime minister, and it should take place during COAG."

The shootings coincide with the release of crime statistics showing a 41 per cent increase in drive-by attacks in the two years to last December.

About half the 100 incidents took place in three regions of western Sydney - Canterbury-Bankstown, Central Western Sydney and the Fairfield-Liverpool areas.

Ms Lee said it was "crazy" that semi-automatic handguns were legal while semi-automatic longarms are banned.

"It's an anomaly in the laws that really needs to be addressed," she said.

"Handguns are the weapon of choice for drive-by shootings because they are easy to conceal, lightweight and very high powered.

"If you stop the number of guns in the legal market you will eventually stop the number of guns falling into the illegal market.

"We'll eventually see the source and supply being strangled, which means it will be more difficult for those who commit drive-by shootings to get a handgun."

The NSW Greens on Tuesday released figures obtained from police which showed a handgun was used in 87 per cent of the drive-by attacks.

The Greens also said the number of registered handguns in NSW had "exploded" from 24 per cent in the past six years to 42,127 weapons.

"If we want to reduce the lethality of criminals, if we want to reduce the number of drive-by shootings, the best step this government can take is reduce the number of those easy to conceal, high-powered handguns in circulation," said Greens MP David Shoebridge.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/br...against-handguns/story-e6frf7jx-1226330262473

A typical response from sporting shooters;

"
Five shootings were recorded overnight in western Sydney, four of which are believed to be part of an ongoing turf war between the Hells Angels and Nomads bikies."

Ohhh so it wasent LAFO's then

"
The guns are the weapon of choice for criminals"

Ohhh yes now we are starting to make some sense

"
Handguns are the weapon of choice for drive-by shootings because they are easy to conceal, lightweight and very high powered"

Yes some handguns are high powered 'just because it is "Handgun" does not automatically make it high powered

"
If you stop the number of guns in the legal market you will eventually stop the number of guns falling into the illegal market"

Really..? Ohh of course thats correct 'because that raid in the Sydney post office that uncovered an ( OVERSEAS GUN SMUGGLING OPERATION) was all the LAFO's fault .

How on earth does this make the news..? It's just a bias opinionated article with no factual evidence backing it up what so ever.

The latest on the Poll. Thanks for those who voted. Cheers, Haz.

Results: Guns and Weapons Expo
Thanks for voting!

Yes 68.36% (566 votes)
No 31.64% (262 votes)
Total votes: 828

Last edited:

Haz.

Yes 71.02% (1034 votes).

No 28.98% (422 votes) Total votes: 1456.

Of the seventy two readers comments posted, I believe there was only about two who went to the trouble of speaking against the firearms expo..

Last edited:

DangerClose

There's the little vote box towards the left, then there's a bigger one towards the bottom. I'm not sure if I voted twice, but it thanked me both times for voting, and the count did go up both times. Just thought I'd mention it....