Thread: non-resident long gun purchase

non-resident long gun purchase

I am a Michigan resident, but Iím currently in florida on a short term work assignment.

I stopped by a Homestead gun shop a few days ago to look at some long guns. I was told by the employee that he cannot sell to me because I do not have a Florida license.

I have not been able to find anything in Florida law that requires me to be a Florida resident to purchase a long gun here. Iíve done searches on the web and have not been able to find any helpful information on this subject. I know federally I am allowed, but what about the state of Florida?

Is there a law that says non-residents of Florida cannot purchase long guns in this state?

No. As long as Michigan law allows you to purchase long guns from non-contiguous states (and I believe it does, as of recently), you should be fine. Doesn't surprise me that the shop you were in does not know this, though.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/.../0790.065.html
    Last edited by rvrctyrngr; 04-18-2012 at 07:43 AM.
    Director,
    Florida Carry, Inc.

Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by FourSeven View Post
    I was told by the employee that he cannot sell to me because I do not have a Florida license.
    The source of the "cannot" needed to be asked. It may be the owner's policy. He is not legally bound to sell to all comers.

The question I'd like to ask is, since when does one require a license to purchase a long gun, or any firearm for that matter in Florida?
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2
    Mosin Nagant M91/30 (1942 Izhevsk)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich7553 View Post
    The question I'd like to ask is, since when does one require a license to purchase a long gun, or any firearm for that matter in Florida?
    I'm sure he meant a FLDL/CWFL for identification purposes.
    Director,
    Florida Carry, Inc.

By license, I meant ID.

I stopped by a different shop today and was told I need to have a Florida hunting license to purchase long guns or a Florida state ID to purchase long guns/handguns.

She said I would be able to go to the DMV with mail from my address here and be able to obtain a Florida ID without having to forfeit my Michigan driverís license. Does anyone know of this being true?

I still haven't found anything in the state laws that restricts non-residents from purchasing long guns.

Quote Originally Posted by FourSeven View Post
    By license, I meant ID.

I stopped by a different shop today and was told I need to have a Florida hunting license to purchase long guns or a Florida state ID to purchase long guns/handguns.

She said I would be able to go to the DMV with mail from my address here and be able to obtain a Florida ID without having to forfeit my Michigan driver’s license. Does anyone know of this being true?

I still haven't found anything in the state laws that restricts non-residents from purchasing long guns.
    There isn't. They were wrong.

You can purchase a rifle/shotgun from an FFL in any state, provided that the state laws of both the purchaser and FFL are followed. Florida has no laws prohibiting out of state rifle/shotgun sales.
    Last edited by NavyLCDR; 04-18-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    There isn't. They were wrong.

You can purchase a rifle/shotgun from an FFL in any state, provided that the state laws of both the purchaser and FFL are followed. Florida has no laws prohibiting out of state rifle/shotgun sales.
    Agreed. Sounds like some dealers in S. Fl could use some edumacatin'.
    Director,
    Florida Carry, Inc.

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by rvrctyrngr View Post
    Agreed. Sounds like some dealers in S. Fl could use some edumacatin'.
    Really? As a seller of guns, one of the first customers against whom I would discriminate is the stoopid one, too stupid to doubt a lie or even an error.

I prefer to educate/inform mine instead.
    Director,
    Florida Carry, Inc.