• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

non-resident long gun purchase

FourSeven

I am a Michigan resident, but I’m currently in florida on a short term work assignment.

I stopped by a Homestead gun shop a few days ago to look at some long guns. I was told by the employee that he cannot sell to me because I do not have a Florida license.

I have not been able to find anything in Florida law that requires me to be a Florida resident to purchase a long gun here. I’ve done searches on the web and have not been able to find any helpful information on this subject. I know federally I am allowed, but what about the state of Florida?

Is there a law that says non-residents of Florida cannot purchase long guns in this state?

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I was told by the employee that he cannot sell to me because I do not have a Florida license.
The source of the "cannot" needed to be asked. It may be the owner's policy. He is not legally bound to sell to all comers.

Rich7553

The question I'd like to ask is, since when does one require a license to purchase a long gun, or any firearm for that matter in Florida?

FourSeven

By license, I meant ID.

I stopped by a different shop today and was told I need to have a Florida hunting license to purchase long guns or a Florida state ID to purchase long guns/handguns.

She said I would be able to go to the DMV with mail from my address here and be able to obtain a Florida ID without having to forfeit my Michigan driver’s license. Does anyone know of this being true?

I still haven't found anything in the state laws that restricts non-residents from purchasing long guns.

rvrctyrngr

There isn't. They were wrong.

You can purchase a rifle/shotgun from an FFL in any state, provided that the state laws of both the purchaser and FFL are followed. Florida has no laws prohibiting out of state rifle/shotgun sales.

Agreed. Sounds like some dealers in S. Fl could use some edumacatin'.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Agreed. Sounds like some dealers in S. Fl could use some edumacatin'.
Really? As a seller of guns, one of the first customers against whom I would discriminate is the stoopid one, too stupid to doubt a lie or even an error.