• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC with a drop leg holster?

Andrew Diaz

I know there are many people out there who see people who use drop leg holsters as some "tacticool wannabe" but my question is this. How many of you OC with a drop leg?

I do. I am currently stationed in Montana where though I do get some benefits of being a resident without actually being a resident being able to get CCW permit is not one of them. I am also not old enough to get a non-resident permit from any other state.

Obviously I could wear a hip holster but then comes the problem of if my shirt were to accidentally drape over my weapon, and it is not very often that I find a desire to wear my shirt tucked into my pants, just an extreme discomfort for me.

So what are your thoughts on this? Anyone else out there who OC with a drop leg?

09jisaac

Do you wear fitting shirts? Do you wear shirts the way they are suppose to be worn? If so I don't think that you would have a problem wearing a hip holster. I only wear my shirts tucked in on very limited circumstances and have never had my shirt cover my weapon. If you are old enough to carry a firearm then I do think you can find a non resident concealed carry license/ permit. I think it is Maine that offers one for people over the age of 18.

I only wear a drop leg holster when I would have a hip holster covered. I have a carhartt jacket that would easily cover a hip holster, that is the only time I commonly wear a drop leg holster.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Many of the states that recognize a Maine non-resident permit still specify in law that concealed firearms can only be carried by license individuals over 21. I haven't checked MT, though.

Some people just are not used to wearing tucked in shirts. I can't stand not having my shirt tucked in. And with summer here (well, in southern NV anyway) that's all I need to be comfortable. OC is easy now. But I understand the dilemma because OC is hard for me in the winter. With no body fat, I'm wearing a coat until it actually gets WARM outside.

I don't like dropped leg holsters. But not just because they are ugly. They also make it harder to walk. That's a significant amount of weight to add to a swing of a leg if you do much walking. But that's just me. I certainly don't think ill of someone I may see that is OC'ing with a dropped leg holster.

Andrew Diaz

Do you wear fitting shirts? Do you wear shirts the way they are suppose to be worn? If so I don't think that you would have a problem wearing a hip holster. I only wear my shirts tucked in on very limited circumstances and have never had my shirt cover my weapon. If you are old enough to carry a firearm then I do think you can find a non resident concealed carry license/ permit. I think it is Maine that offers one for people over the age of 18.

I only wear a drop leg holster when I would have a hip holster covered. I have a carhartt jacket that would easily cover a hip holster, that is the only time I commonly wear a drop leg holster.

All of my shirts do fit. That doesn't mean they don't pass my waist. I could tuck my shirt behind my weapon/holster but then runs the risk of having that just come undone which I have had happen in the past, which is why I started with a drop leg in the first place. Also obviously when I wear any kind of cold weather clothing.

Many of the states that recognize a Maine non-resident permit still specify in law that concealed firearms can only be carried by license individuals over 21. I haven't checked MT, though.

Some people just are not used to wearing tucked in shirts. I can't stand not having my shirt tucked in. And with summer here (well, in southern NV anyway) that's all I need to be comfortable. OC is easy now. But I understand the dilemma because OC is hard for me in the winter. With no body fat, I'm wearing a coat until it actually gets WARM outside.

I don't like dropped leg holsters. But not just because they are ugly. They also make it harder to walk. That's a significant amount of weight to add to a swing of a leg if you do much walking. But that's just me. I certainly don't think ill of someone I may see that is OC'ing with a dropped leg holster.

Every non-resident issuing state i have looked into requires you to be 21. MT law allows OC/CCW at 18 but to get a MT permit you have to have a state issue ID.

me being from California, yea i know :cuss:, i'm not very fond of Montana weather so I always tend to have at least a hoodie on.

I wear a drop leg for the majority of the day while working so to be honest I dont even notice it.

Last edited:

hermannr

If you need to OC because you do not have a CPL, but it's cold and you need a jacket??? What's the problem?

Just for laughs, I saw a local LEO, in uniform, with a dropleg on...it was winter...it was cold, he needed a coat..:)

Last edited: