Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another finger gun gesture...

Another finger gun gesture...

I didn't see it posted...

By: David Pierce | News & Messenger
    Published: April 18, 2012

Yorkshire man faces an assault charge after a deputy said he made a gun gesture at him on April 6.

A Culpeper County Sheriff’s Office deputy was traveling on Ira Hoffman Road at 7 p.m. While at a stoplight at Rixeyville Road, the deputy saw the driver of a Nissan Altima behind him point his hand toward the patrol vehicle, Culpeper County Sheriff’s office spokeswoman Corey Byers said.

http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2012...ty-ar-1846598/

These incidents are nothing more than "contempt of cop" persecutions gone wild.

People need to start using a slightly different finger, and with a more vertical positioning when gesticulating to LEOs, I think. Perhaps if they used the next finger over from their Index finger, at least they couldn't be charged with "assault". As far as I know, there is no law against flipping the bird in VA--yet....
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Thumbs down

What an idiot.
    The LEO, that is.
    "...charged with assault on a law enforcement officer by intimidation."
    Is it really all that intimidating to have someone point their finger at you?
    Someone needs to point this guy's lawyer toward Skidmark's case.

"The deputy got behind Ellis’ car and pulled him over... about 1.5 miles away."
    No mention of calling for backup or the SWAT team.
    I guess he wasn't really all that scared now, was he?
    Waited a while to pull him over, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Shaking your Fist?

As long as your hand is "ungloved" your hand is both "Open Carry" and unholstered. So, is any hand a potential threat to officer safety? What if you shake your clenched fist at a cop -- is that a crime, can you be arrested?

Perhaps the General Assembly ought to fix this -- as long as the so-called "Law and Order" republicans don't think this would be anti-cop.

As much of an a$$hole, scumbag this guy is for making the gesture in the first place, I would think that this would be a protected form of free speech.

Mr. Officer needs to get over being butt-hurt that his profession may not be liked by some.
    Last edited by Walt_Kowalski; 04-18-2012 at 01:54 PM.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Isn't this the third one in VA? First Skid, then the guy in court and now this guy?
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Maybe thats what happened to Patricia Cook.... she pointed her finger at the Culpeper deputy??

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Johnny says, "Call for Dan Hawes, call foooor Daaan Haaawes."
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member
    This one might come out in the wash.

I can see a person actually making a "gun gesture" with the actual intent to communicate to the cop "Watch your back ***hole because one day soon this is gonna be a real gun."

On the other hand, if the cop was intimidated, why did he stop the guy without back-up? Did the "intimidated" cop really not recognize there might be a gun in the car?

Also, seems kinda iffy to me to be able to clearly see a gun gesture thru 2 layers of sloping glass and who-knows-how-much pollen and dirt, plus glare, via a rearview mirror, and know that it is a gun gesture and not just a pointing.

Or, maybe there is something deeper going on, like is this a bad cop, known to be be a bad cop? Or, maybe the arrestee is a Culpepper resident angry about the death of Ms. Cook and harassment of friends, and decided to vent a little fantasy and the cop just happened to look in the mirror in time to see it?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Banned
    so if you do this gesture to your own head then its attempted suicide? dang, almost shot myself ... stupid safety

Must be shaking in his boots

If the Deputy is afraid of a finger and thumb, he needs to find a new line of work!

I bet his mommy rides with him every shift to **** *** **** and make sure he is dressed properly.

Get a grip or get another job!

Whatever happened to nodding and smiling politely?

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stargateranch View Post
    This is Culpeper we're talking about. If I recall, the prosecutor was forced to resign recently. And, it wasn't because he wanted to dedicate the rest of his life to charitable works.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    This is Culpeper we're talking about. If I recall, the prosecutor was forced to resign recently. And, it wasn't because he wanted to dedicate the rest of his life to charitable works.
    You recall correctly.

SNIP from here:
    {Culpeper County's prosecutor is resigning after a federal judge accused him and police of misconduct in the capital murder conviction of a man in the slaying of an elderly woman. }

Btw, one of the police officers 'accused of misconduct' in that case..... is now the current Culpeper Sheriff.

Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    You recall correctly.

SNIP from here:
    {Culpeper County's prosecutor is resigning after a federal judge accused him and police of misconduct in the capital murder conviction of a man in the slaying of an elderly woman. }

Btw, one of the police officers 'accused of misconduct' in that case..... is now the current Culpeper Sheriff.
    Do I remember correctly - isn't the "special prosecutor" related to a principal in this or am I mixing & matching my stories?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Do I remember correctly - isn't the "special prosecutor" related to a principal in this or am I mixing & matching my stories?
    I don't recall that detail.... but that would be an 'interesting' connection for sure!

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    This is getting harder than a Soap Opera to follow Grape!

The SP has ties to the State Police that did the investigation in the shooting, but I don't know any in this.

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by stargateranch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    Waay back when, my Chief, Roddy Perry, argued that law enforcement's emotional "bank account" with the people is overdrawn. He may have said that as he began seeking CALEA accreditation.
    As I said ...

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    This is getting harder than a Soap Opera to follow Grape!

The SP has ties to the State Police that did the investigation in the shooting, but I don't know any in this.
    Yep that was it - heard it on the grapevine.

The sound of beating drums means the natives are getting restless.

Answers/results need to be offered in a timely fashion. To do otherwise may cast doubt on the findings - the silence is deafening.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff View Post
    Correct.

At some point the people have to stand up and go after those cops for "contempt of citizen." A few prosecutions would do the trick. Or, lots of noisy protests.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    At some point the people have to stand up and go after those cops for "contempt of citizen." A few prosecutions would do the trick. Or, lots of noisy protests.
    I couldn't agree more Citizen! If there is a law, Law Enforcement wil find a way to abuse it.

We're both old enough to remember penny loafers. Everyone would stick a penny in so you couldn't be arrested for vagrancy. Then the loitering laws, the separate washrooms between the races (Which was still on Virginia's Books in the mid 80's).

I think Skidmark's case made enough noise to stop the Locals from charging under the brandishing statute so now they're using Assault by Intimidation.
    Last edited by peter nap; 04-21-2012 at 04:12 AM.

Founder's Club Member
    I couldn't agree more Citizen! If there is a law, Law Enforcement wil find a way to abuse it.

We're both old enough to remember penny loafers. Everyone would stick a penny in so you couldn't be arrested for vagrancy. Then the loitering laws, the separate washrooms between the races (Which was still on Virginia's Books in the mid 80's).

I think Skidmark's case made enough noise to stop the Locals from charging under the brandishing statute so now they're using Assault by Intimidation.
    Sez you! I am old enough to have relatives explain to me in my youth why penny loafers were called penny loafers, but thatz it.

I can't help it if you are old enough to co-author the zodiac. But don't go dragging me into your antiquity and getting me all dusty.

Ironically if he had used his middle finger as opposed to making a gun sign, he probably would have been arrested for soliciting for prostitution.
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by ChinChin View Post
    Ironically if he had used his middle finger as opposed to making a gun sign, he probably would have been arrested for soliciting for prostitution.
    Several courts have said the upwardly extended middle finger is protected political speech - even when offered by schoolchildren much below the legal age of consent.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

We're both old enough to remember penny loafers. Everyone would stick a penny in so you couldn't be arrested for vagrancy.
    I guess I'm too young to understand this one... vagrancy is the crime of not having any money?

TFred

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast