• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another finger gun gesture...

eyesopened

I didn't see it posted...

By: David Pierce | News & Messenger
Published: April 18, 2012

Yorkshire man faces an assault charge after a deputy said he made a gun gesture at him on April 6.

A Culpeper County Sheriff’s Office deputy was traveling on Ira Hoffman Road at 7 p.m. While at a stoplight at Rixeyville Road, the deputy saw the driver of a Nissan Altima behind him point his hand toward the patrol vehicle, Culpeper County Sheriff’s office spokeswoman Corey Byers said.

http://www2.insidenova.com/news/201...charged-making-gun-gesture-deputy-ar-1846598/

Dreamer

These incidents are nothing more than "contempt of cop" persecutions gone wild.

People need to start using a slightly different finger, and with a more vertical positioning when gesticulating to LEOs, I think. Perhaps if they used the next finger over from their Index finger, at least they couldn't be charged with "assault". As far as I know, there is no law against flipping the bird in VA--yet....

MKEgal

:banghead: What an idiot.
The LEO, that is.
"...charged with assault on a law enforcement officer by intimidation."
Is it really all that intimidating to have someone point their finger at you?
Someone needs to point this guy's lawyer toward Skidmark's case.

"The deputy got behind Ellis’ car and pulled him over... about 1.5 miles away."
No mention of calling for backup or the SWAT team.
I guess he wasn't really all that scared now, was he?
Waited a while to pull him over, too.

Repeater

Shaking your Fist?

As long as your hand is "ungloved" your hand is both "Open Carry" and unholstered. So, is any hand a potential threat to officer safety? What if you shake your clenched fist at a cop -- is that a crime, can you be arrested?

Perhaps the General Assembly ought to fix this -- as long as the so-called "Law and Order" republicans don't think this would be anti-cop.

Walt_Kowalski

As much of an a$$hole, scumbag this guy is for making the gesture in the first place, I would think that this would be a protected form of free speech.

Mr. Officer needs to get over being butt-hurt that his profession may not be liked by some.

Last edited:

Blk97F150

Maybe thats what happened to Patricia Cook.... she pointed her finger at the Culpeper deputy?? :uhoh:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
This one might come out in the wash.

I can see a person actually making a "gun gesture" with the actual intent to communicate to the cop "Watch your back ***hole because one day soon this is gonna be a real gun."

On the other hand, if the cop was intimidated, why did he stop the guy without back-up? Did the "intimidated" cop really not recognize there might be a gun in the car?

Also, seems kinda iffy to me to be able to clearly see a gun gesture thru 2 layers of sloping glass and who-knows-how-much pollen and dirt, plus glare, via a rearview mirror, and know that it is a gun gesture and not just a pointing.

Or, maybe there is something deeper going on, like is this a bad cop, known to be be a bad cop? Or, maybe the arrestee is a Culpepper resident angry about the death of Ms. Cook and harassment of friends, and decided to vent a little fantasy and the cop just happened to look in the mirror in time to see it?

va_tazdad

Must be shaking in his boots

If the Deputy is afraid of a finger and thumb, he needs to find a new line of work!

I bet his mommy rides with him every shift to **** *** **** and make sure he is dressed properly.

Get a grip or get another job!

Blk97F150

This is Culpeper we're talking about. If I recall, the prosecutor was forced to resign recently. And, it wasn't because he wanted to dedicate the rest of his life to charitable works.

You recall correctly.

SNIP from here:
{Culpeper County's prosecutor is resigning after a federal judge accused him and police of misconduct in the capital murder conviction of a man in the slaying of an elderly woman. }

Btw, one of the police officers 'accused of misconduct' in that case..... is now the current Culpeper Sheriff. :eek:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is Culpeper we're talking about. If I recall, the prosecutor was forced to resign recently. And, it wasn't because he wanted to dedicate the rest of his life to charitable works.

You recall correctly.

SNIP from here:
{Culpeper County's prosecutor is resigning after a federal judge accused him and police of misconduct in the capital murder conviction of a man in the slaying of an elderly woman. }

Btw, one of the police officers 'accused of misconduct' in that case..... is now the current Culpeper Sheriff. :eek:

Do I remember correctly - isn't the "special prosecutor" related to a principal in this or am I mixing & matching my stories?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Do I remember correctly - isn't the "special prosecutor" related to a principal in this or am I mixing & matching my stories?

This is getting harder than a Soap Opera to follow Grape!

The SP has ties to the State Police that did the investigation in the shooting, but I don't know any in this.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is getting harder than a Soap Opera to follow Grape!

The SP has ties to the State Police that did the investigation in the shooting, but I don't know any in this.

Yep that was it - heard it on the grapevine.

The sound of beating drums means the natives are getting restless.

Answers/results need to be offered in a timely fashion. To do otherwise may cast doubt on the findings - the silence is deafening.