• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legality of loaded long guns in vehicles

MadMaxZ06

Hi all,
While this question is not OC related, this is THE place to come for most anything related to firearms.
The question: Is it illegal in Virginia to have a loaded long gun (e.g. rifle and/or shotgun with a round in the chamber) while operating a vehicle?
I realize that this may not be the safest way to go.
Thanks,
- Max

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The answer to your question is "It depends on where you are and what you are doing".

Let's not confuse things by asking if the long gun is actually open-caried (not concealed) or not, OK?

stay safe.

Doogie

I don't know but:

Forum Rule: (14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

Sorry.

MadMaxZ06

No apology necessary. This is an EXCELLENT point! Thank you for informing me about the site's policy on the discussion of long guns; it makes sense. FWIW, my curiosity did not extend into the OC'ing of long gun.
Thanks,
- Max

I don't know but:

Forum Rule: (14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

Sorry.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
No apology necessary. This is an EXCELLENT point! Thank you for informing me about the site's policy on the discussion of long guns; it makes sense. FWIW, my curiosity did not extend into the OC'ing of long gun.
Thanks,
- Max

Some localities have hunting laws that allow them to outlaw loaded long guns. They are required to file them with DGIF who publishes the area and prohibition. Check the DGIF Website....and yes, long guns are very much a part of Virginia Open Carry. The owners just don't want it here.

Last edited: