Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Just got off the Phone with Fairivew Police Detective.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Fairview Oregon
    Posts
    40

    Just got off the Phone with Fairivew Police Detective.

    Spoke to a Fairview Police detective. Fairview does not have any ordinance restricting the open carry of a loaded firearm. He said that all you need is a CHL and to make sure you carry your permit with you. And stay within the appropriate boundaries.

    He also offered caution. That many civilians will not hesitate to call the police when they see someone openly carrying. He also stated that as long as you have the CHL you would not be arrested. Just be ready to be questioned and all that good stuff.

    Anyway I just wanted to share what I have learned today. And yes it is MY responsibility to do my own research. This was simply just another step. Making sure I cover all my bases.

  2. #2
    Regular Member VW_Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, GA
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
    Spoke to a Fairview Police detective. Fairview does not have any ordinance restricting the open carry of a loaded firearm. He said that all you need is a CHL and to make sure you carry your permit with you. And stay within the appropriate boundaries.
    Given that Fairview city codes do not restrict loaded carry, doesn't matter if you have a CHL or not. Its still legal.

    Once again. Don't take legal advice from LEO's. They will feed you false information.

    Read the city codes yourself.

    http://www.codepublishing.com/OR/fairview.html

    Under Title 9.
    Last edited by VW_Factor; 04-18-2012 at 05:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Fairview Oregon
    Posts
    40
    They just want to hassle of interaction with someone who is legally open carrying. Probably more paperwork for them.

    WHEN I took my CHL class I was handed a list of stores I could not enter with my CHL like Costco and I think Freddy's. I'm going to assume that a private company has the right to restrict us from CHL or open carry? Again I'm asking for a straight answer from someone who knows wtf they are talking about. Please advise me. Thanks

    Andrew

    After reviewing the Fairview codes this is all I found.

    WEAPONS

    Sections:

    9.10.010 Prohibition.

    9.10.020 Penalties.
    9.10.010 Prohibition.

    A. It shall be unlawful for any person other than an authorized peace officer to fire or discharge a firearm, spring gun, air-actuated pellet gun, air gun, BB gun, bow and arrow, crossbow or a weapon which propels a projectile by the use of gunpowder or other explosive, jet or rocket propulsion within the city of Fairview. This provision only applies when the unlawful use of a weapon does not constitute a crime under ORS 166.220.

    B. The provisions of this section shall not be construed to prohibit the firing or discharging of a weapon by any person in the lawful defense of the person or person’s family.

    C. The provisions of this section shall not apply to the discharge of a bow and arrow or crossbow within Metro’s Blue Lake Park so long as the discharge is within a designated archery range and while conforming with all rules and regulations governing the use of the archery range or use that would constitute a crime under ORS 166.220. (Ord. 4-2008 1; Ord. 9-1988 1)
    9.10.020 Penalties.

    The offenses described in this chapter, unlawful use of a weapon, are Class A violations. (Ord. 4‑2008 1; Ord. 9-1988 2)
    Last edited by Andrew Wilson; 04-18-2012 at 06:13 PM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member VW_Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, GA
    Posts
    1,098
    Private property is just that. If I don't want you in my office or on my facility grounds I'll ask you to leave. If you refuse, then that is trespassing and the police will be called in to do just that.

    Doesn't matter what its for. Wearing a blue shirt on a Tuesday, or carrying a firearm.

    Larger companies generally have corporate policies regarding certain things. However, managers of certain facilities would be considered Agents of the Owner, and may ask you to leave. Their words are as good as an owners.

    I've yet to be asked to leave anywhere OC'ing in Woodburn, Salem, Wilsonville or otherwise. People rarely seem to notice.

    Whoever handed you a list of stores not to enter probably shouldn't be teaching CHL classes. I've OC'd Freddies before without issue. Don't know much about Costco really, except that the last time I looked through their member thing had no mention of weapons.

    Edit : Of course there are also places who smile and greet you warmly because they are happy to see you and/or have your business.
    Last edited by VW_Factor; 04-18-2012 at 06:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Fairview Oregon
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    Private property is just that. If I don't want you in my office or on my facility grounds I'll ask you to leave. If you refuse, then that is trespassing and the police will be called in to do just that.

    Doesn't matter what its for. Wearing a blue shirt on a Tuesday, or carrying a firearm.

    Larger companies generally have corporate policies regarding certain things. However, managers of certain facilities would be considered Agents of the Owner, and may ask you to leave. Their words are as good as an owners.

    I've yet to be asked to leave anywhere OC'ing in Woodburn, Salem, Wilsonville or otherwise. People rarely seem to notice.

    Whoever handed you a list of stores not to enter probably shouldn't be teaching CHL classes. I've OC'd Freddies before without issue. Don't know much about Costco really, except that the last time I looked through their member thing had no mention of weapons.

    Edit : Of course there are also places who smile and greet you warmly because they are happy to see you and/or have your business.
    My 1998 VW Cabrio thanks you and your information. VW For Life ♥

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    Given that Fairview city codes do not restrict loaded carry, doesn't matter if you have a CHL or not. Its still legal.

    Once again. Don't take legal advice from LEO's. They will feed you false information.

    Read the city codes yourself.

    http://www.codepublishing.com/OR/fairview.html

    Under Title 9.
    The Detective could be thinking of line L under 12.30.060..... But it doesn't follow state law so its void under state preemption.


    Edit for clarification
    Last edited by Dogbait; 04-21-2012 at 02:04 PM.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
    Just be ready to be questioned and all that good stuff.
    Here's my reply? Am I under arrest or being detained? Then have a nice day fellas, bye.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Fairview Oregon
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbait View Post
    The Detective could be thinking of line L under 12.30.060..... But it doesn't follow state law so it's void.
    I wonder if the sidewalk that surrounds the police station and my small court house is considered off limits? Sidewalks are public property if I remember correctly.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    53
    I work for Fred Meyer and there policy is not to say anything even if you were brandishing. At that point I'm sure someone would call but Fred Meyer won't say anything. I however cannot open carry there because I work there and value my pay check over a technicality. With private stores there will be signs posted at the door if they do not want you entering with Firearms.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Posts
    1,552

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by BadMoon Risin68 View Post
    I work for Fred Meyer and there policy is not to say anything even if you were brandishing. At that point I'm sure someone would call but Fred Meyer won't say anything. I however cannot open carry there because I work there and value my pay check over a technicality. With private stores there will be signs posted at the door if they do not want you entering with Firearms.
    I have had zero problems open-carrying in Fred Meyer stores in Idaho, Washington, and Alaska. Haven't had occasion to visit one in Oregon yet, but they certainly don't seem to have a corporate policy against it.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

  11. #11
    Regular Member VW_Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, GA
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    I have had zero problems open-carrying in Fred Meyer stores in Idaho, Washington, and Alaska. Haven't had occasion to visit one in Oregon yet, but they certainly don't seem to have a corporate policy against it.
    Also, most employers DO have a policy against firearms. However that pertains to simply only the employees, not the public in general. I've not had a problem in Freddies in Oregon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

  12. #12
    Regular Member sawah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
    Just be ready to be questioned and all that good stuff.
    And you should have replied 'Be prepared to be sued to the nth degree if you violate my civil, 4A and 2A rights by stopping me during legal activities and absent RAS' and see what he says.

    And maybe add 'what if a citizen calls it in when you and I are talking that you are so ugly that he wants you investigated and your DNA run to see if you're a neanderthal? Is that OK?' LOL.
    A firearm is a tool of convenience, not effectiveness - Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

  13. #13
    Regular Member virginian45colt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Dallas, Oregon!
    Posts
    54
    Dallas PD told me OC was legal but not advised. They told me to get CHL but then it also wasn't advised to carry concieled. wtf???? Go figure all PD's are the same here and in Cali.

  14. #14
    Regular Member virginian45colt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Dallas, Oregon!
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    And THAT is EXACTLY why we don't ask police about carrying firearms!
    Yeah I found that out. not advised? Well I'm going to do it anyways and they can't do anything about it.

  15. #15
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
    Spoke to a Fairview Police detective. Fairview does not have any ordinance restricting the open carry of a loaded firearm. He said that all you need is a CHL and to make sure you carry your permit with you. And stay within the appropriate boundaries.

    He also offered caution. That many civilians will not hesitate to call the police when they see someone openly carrying. He also stated that as long as you have the CHL you would not be arrested. Just be ready to be questioned and all that good stuff.

    Anyway I just wanted to share what I have learned today. And yes it is MY responsibility to do my own research. This was simply just another step. Making sure I cover all my bases.
    One thing to remember with OC and SOME police officers...they think they belong to an elite club, and if you don't belong to that club, they do not want to see you able to defend yourself.

    Loaded, Unlicensed, OC is legal in Oregon, unless prohibited by local code that must comply with ORS 166.173. If you have a license to carry, you are exempt...ORS 166.173(2)(c)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •