• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just got off the Phone with Fairivew Police Detective.

Andrew Wilson

Spoke to a Fairview Police detective. Fairview does not have any ordinance restricting the open carry of a loaded firearm. He said that all you need is a CHL and to make sure you carry your permit with you. And stay within the appropriate boundaries.

He also offered caution. That many civilians will not hesitate to call the police when they see someone openly carrying. He also stated that as long as you have the CHL you would not be arrested. Just be ready to be questioned and all that good stuff.

Anyway I just wanted to share what I have learned today. And yes it is MY responsibility to do my own research. This was simply just another step. Making sure I cover all my bases.

VW_Factor

Spoke to a Fairview Police detective. Fairview does not have any ordinance restricting the open carry of a loaded firearm. He said that all you need is a CHL and to make sure you carry your permit with you. And stay within the appropriate boundaries.

Given that Fairview city codes do not restrict loaded carry, doesn't matter if you have a CHL or not. Its still legal.

Once again. Don't take legal advice from LEO's. They will feed you false information.

Read the city codes yourself.

http://www.codepublishing.com/OR/fairview.html

Under Title 9.

Last edited:

Andrew Wilson

They just want to hassle of interaction with someone who is legally open carrying. Probably more paperwork for them.

WHEN I took my CHL class I was handed a list of stores I could not enter with my CHL like Costco and I think Freddy's. I'm going to assume that a private company has the right to restrict us from CHL or open carry? Again I'm asking for a straight answer from someone who knows wtf they are talking about. Please advise me. Thanks

Andrew

After reviewing the Fairview codes this is all I found.

WEAPONS

Sections:

9.10.010 Prohibition.

9.10.020 Penalties.
9.10.010 Prohibition.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person other than an authorized peace officer to fire or discharge a firearm, spring gun, air-actuated pellet gun, air gun, BB gun, bow and arrow, crossbow or a weapon which propels a projectile by the use of gunpowder or other explosive, jet or rocket propulsion within the city of Fairview. This provision only applies when the unlawful use of a weapon does not constitute a crime under ORS 166.220.

B. The provisions of this section shall not be construed to prohibit the firing or discharging of a weapon by any person in the lawful defense of the person or person’s family.

C. The provisions of this section shall not apply to the discharge of a bow and arrow or crossbow within Metro’s Blue Lake Park so long as the discharge is within a designated archery range and while conforming with all rules and regulations governing the use of the archery range or use that would constitute a crime under ORS 166.220. (Ord. 4-2008 § 1; Ord. 9-1988 § 1)
9.10.020 Penalties.

The offenses described in this chapter, unlawful use of a weapon, are Class A violations. (Ord. 4‑2008 § 1; Ord. 9-1988 § 2)

Last edited:

VW_Factor

Private property is just that. If I don't want you in my office or on my facility grounds I'll ask you to leave. If you refuse, then that is trespassing and the police will be called in to do just that.

Doesn't matter what its for. Wearing a blue shirt on a Tuesday, or carrying a firearm.

Larger companies generally have corporate policies regarding certain things. However, managers of certain facilities would be considered Agents of the Owner, and may ask you to leave. Their words are as good as an owners.

I've yet to be asked to leave anywhere OC'ing in Woodburn, Salem, Wilsonville or otherwise. People rarely seem to notice.

Whoever handed you a list of stores not to enter probably shouldn't be teaching CHL classes. I've OC'd Freddies before without issue. Don't know much about Costco really, except that the last time I looked through their member thing had no mention of weapons.

Edit : Of course there are also places who smile and greet you warmly because they are happy to see you and/or have your business.

Last edited:

Andrew Wilson

Private property is just that. If I don't want you in my office or on my facility grounds I'll ask you to leave. If you refuse, then that is trespassing and the police will be called in to do just that.

Doesn't matter what its for. Wearing a blue shirt on a Tuesday, or carrying a firearm.

Larger companies generally have corporate policies regarding certain things. However, managers of certain facilities would be considered Agents of the Owner, and may ask you to leave. Their words are as good as an owners.

I've yet to be asked to leave anywhere OC'ing in Woodburn, Salem, Wilsonville or otherwise. People rarely seem to notice.

Whoever handed you a list of stores not to enter probably shouldn't be teaching CHL classes. I've OC'd Freddies before without issue. Don't know much about Costco really, except that the last time I looked through their member thing had no mention of weapons.

Edit : Of course there are also places who smile and greet you warmly because they are happy to see you and/or have your business.

My 1998 VW Cabrio thanks you and your information. VW For Life ♥

Dogbait

Given that Fairview city codes do not restrict loaded carry, doesn't matter if you have a CHL or not. Its still legal.

Once again. Don't take legal advice from LEO's. They will feed you false information.

Read the city codes yourself.

http://www.codepublishing.com/OR/fairview.html

Under Title 9.

The Detective could be thinking of line L under 12.30.060..... But it doesn't follow state law so its void under state preemption.

Edit for clarification

Last edited:

BadMoon Risin68

I work for Fred Meyer and there policy is not to say anything even if you were brandishing. At that point I'm sure someone would call but Fred Meyer won't say anything. I however cannot open carry there because I work there and value my pay check over a technicality. With private stores there will be signs posted at the door if they do not want you entering with Firearms.

ManInBlack

I work for Fred Meyer and there policy is not to say anything even if you were brandishing. At that point I'm sure someone would call but Fred Meyer won't say anything. I however cannot open carry there because I work there and value my pay check over a technicality. With private stores there will be signs posted at the door if they do not want you entering with Firearms.

I have had zero problems open-carrying in Fred Meyer stores in Idaho, Washington, and Alaska. Haven't had occasion to visit one in Oregon yet, but they certainly don't seem to have a corporate policy against it.

VW_Factor

I have had zero problems open-carrying in Fred Meyer stores in Idaho, Washington, and Alaska. Haven't had occasion to visit one in Oregon yet, but they certainly don't seem to have a corporate policy against it.

Also, most employers DO have a policy against firearms. However that pertains to simply only the employees, not the public in general. I've not had a problem in Freddies in Oregon.

sawah

Just be ready to be questioned and all that good stuff.

And you should have replied 'Be prepared to be sued to the nth degree if you violate my civil, 4A and 2A rights by stopping me during legal activities and absent RAS' and see what he says.

And maybe add 'what if a citizen calls it in when you and I are talking that you are so ugly that he wants you investigated and your DNA run to see if you're a neanderthal? Is that OK?' LOL.

virginian45colt

Dallas PD told me OC was legal but not advised. They told me to get CHL but then it also wasn't advised to carry concieled. wtf???? Go figure all PD's are the same here and in Cali.:banghead:

hermannr

He also offered caution. That many civilians will not hesitate to call the police when they see someone openly carrying. He also stated that as long as you have the CHL you would not be arrested. Just be ready to be questioned and all that good stuff.

Anyway I just wanted to share what I have learned today. And yes it is MY responsibility to do my own research. This was simply just another step. Making sure I cover all my bases.

One thing to remember with OC and SOME police officers...they think they belong to an elite club, and if you don't belong to that club, they do not want to see you able to defend yourself.

Loaded, Unlicensed, OC is legal in Oregon, unless prohibited by local code that must comply with ORS 166.173. If you have a license to carry, you are exempt...ORS 166.173(2)(c)