• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clark County, Nevada - Code of Ordinances

The Big Guy

NRS 244.364…

3. If a board of county commissioners in a county whose population is 700,000 or more has required by ordinance or regulation adopted before June 13, 1989, the registration of a firearm capable of being concealed, the board of county commissioners shall amend such an ordinance or regulation to require:

(a) A period of at least 60 days of residency in the county before registration of such a firearm is required.
(b) A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol by a resident of the county upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer.

NRS 268.418…

3. If the governing body of a city in a county whose population is 700,000 or more has required by ordinance or regulation adopted before June 13, 1989, the registration of a firearm capable of being concealed, the governing body shall amend such an ordinance or regulation to require:

(a) A period of at least 60 days of residency in the city before registration of such a firearm is required.
(b) A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol by a resident of the city upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer.

So, we know the County had pre June 13, 1989 registration ordinance(s), and those ordinance(s) have since been amended and hence require the 72 hour waiting period.

Now, did the cities of North Las Vegas, Henderson, Boulder, and Mesquite also have pre June 13, 1989 registration ordinance(s)? If so, those too would necessarily have had to be amended to require the 72 hour waiting period.

Note that the "72 hours for the registration" is only for residents of the County or City, as the case may be. Which means, I guess a person who is neither a resident of the County or an incorporated city within the county can come into the County or city and purchase a pistol without the "72 hours for the registration."

This is not refering to a waiting period. The 72 hours it is talking about is how long you have to get your "Blue Card" in Clark County after taking posession of the handgun.

Also I'm wondering, assuming the County is correct about still being gradfathered, do they have the right to ammend an exiting ordinance or if the mere act of amending after 2007 is preempted?

TBG

usmcmustang

This is not refering to a waiting period. The 72 hours it is talking about is how long you have to get your "Blue Card" in Clark County after taking posession of the handgun.

Also I'm wondering, assuming the County is correct about still being gradfathered, do they have the right to ammend an exiting ordinance or if the mere act of amending after 2007 is preempted?

TBG

Yeah... I kinda got my "72's" mixed up... sorry.

It looks like Clark County (Code of Ordinances, Chapter 12.04), Las Vegas (Code of Ordinances, Chapter 10.66), and North Las Vegas (Code of Ordinances, Chapter 9.36),[FONT=&quot][/FONT] have ordinances that "require" the 72 hour waiting period. Other incorporated cities in Clark County... Henderson, The City of Boulder City, and Mesquite do not have such ordinances. So if one purchases a hand gun in an unincorporated area of Clark County or in Las Vegas or North Las Vegas, the waiting period comes into play. Purchasing a hand gun in Henderson, Boulder City, or Mesquites doesn't require the waiting period. Now, whether or not Clark County's, Las Vegas', and North Las Vegas' ordinances are preempted... that's the 64,000 dollar question... one that won't get answered without some legal challenge(s).

Maybe if there was a boycott of all the business establishments from whom one could purchase a handgun in Clark County, Las Vegas, and North Las Vegas, that would do the trick. Everyone could go to Henderson, Boulder City, or Mesquite and do business with those establishments there that sell handguns and dry up the business elsewhere in Clark County, Las Vegas, and North Las Vegas. Yeah... that's gonna happen.

The Big Guy

TBG
Did you get a response from the Firearms Detail?

Yep, I'm told it is valid in unincorperated areas of Clark County otherwise local City ordinances rule.

I have not had the time to look to see when some of these ordinances went into effect.

This gets back to the grandfather bit.

TBG