• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Three County Deputies... and me!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I've been trying to get this guy served with court papers for about 3 or 4 weeks now. He is evading service of process.
Not terribly surprising, considering he has a prior for evading arrest in another state.

Anyhow, I called the county Sheriff's department this morning.... really, really early.... and told them I'd be doing surveillance at a specific location. They collected information, such as the description of my car and my purpose for running a stake-out, and offered a civil standby if I needed backup. I told them I may later but was content for the moment to simply sit and observe. I hoped my defendant might show himself so I could simply nail him down and get on with my life.

After about 90 minutes of watching, I called the county back and asked for that civil standby and they arrived shortly after my call. Three deputies in all. I was obviously OC'ing, as usual, when I got out of my car and approached their vehicles. I told them the situation, and they walked with me to the front door of the residence. I rang the doorbell repeatedly but got no response. We returned to our vehicles and after handshakes and 'thank-yous' to the deputies, I was left to decide my next move. I had some banking to do and went off to accomplish that task then returned just for a last look to see if anything changed before leaving the area. Nothing had.

I'm running out of time, but have certainly provided due diligence in trying to effect service of process on this guy. I'd like nothing better than to nail him before time runs out, but I don't have much left. Originally, my efforts were just a routine job. Now it is almost personal. He has evaded service and shown himself to be a real sleazeball. He is an educated man, and should know that evading service of process won't have any effect on the outcome of the case, apart from demonstrating that the courts pegged him right from the start. They'll end up doing a publication in local newspapers and the rulings pending against him will be affirmed and moved on regardless of whether I got to him or not.

Meanwhile, his delaying tactics are likely to hose him in his quest for a new job. You know those background checks employers like to do? Guess how some of that information gets into a file.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

Update

Howdy Folks!
I took a fellow OC'er and his lady on a trip to Cripple Creek, followed by a trip down the Phantom Canyon Road with a return ride up the Shelf Road. Because there really ain't much in the way of cellular coverage along those back roads through remote country, I wasn't aware until later that the guy I've been chasing for several weeks called and left a voice message.

He explained that he's been out of state for several weeks trying to get new employment. He wants to meet on Wednesday to accept service of process and get this thing over with!

Wow... that's terrific.

But I won't go unarmed, you can bet your bottom dollar on that one!
Considering the trouble I've had trying to nail that guy, I'll be prepared for anything when we meet.
Hopefully he'll be civil and professional, and so will I.
But I ain't gonna let my guard down either.

Guess I'll know by tomorrow afternoon!
Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

Glad it all worked out.

I never had a problem OC'ing in Weld, Peirce and a few other counties in CO.

Howdy Sig!
I haven't had any trouble in a whole bunch of Colorado Counties. The big difference in this situation was that I'd called the Sheriff's office for a civil standby, and was dealing with deputies 'up close and personal'. Most of my travels around the state end up with me not even seeing an LEO in my vicinity, but this time, I was calling them to my location and they were completely aware of my being armed.

In any event, I got that serve done!
After all the fuss getting to the guy, this was most satisfying. Of course, I was OC'ing on that occassion as well.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin