Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Milwaukee area gunsmith

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    West Bend, WI
    Posts
    308

    Milwaukee area gunsmith

    As the title states, looking for a reputable gunsmith in the Milwaukee area. My one guy closed up shop and my "new" guy retired.

    Where does everyone take their weapons too? At the moment I'm trying to get a newly acquired .300 rifle looked at before I take it out, but seems like I can't find one anywhere.

    Any suggestions?
    You can speak softy and carry a big stick, but I'll stick to my guns.

    Member - Wisconsin Carry, Inc. http://ww.wisconsincarry.org
    Member of West Bend Barton Sportsman's Club - http://www.wbbsc.com

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    West Bend, WI
    Posts
    308
    *bump*

    No one needs/uses a gunsmith?
    Last edited by TaurusToter; 04-23-2012 at 09:36 PM.
    You can speak softy and carry a big stick, but I'll stick to my guns.

    Member - Wisconsin Carry, Inc. http://ww.wisconsincarry.org
    Member of West Bend Barton Sportsman's Club - http://www.wbbsc.com

  3. #3
    Regular Member HandyHamlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Terra, Sol
    Posts
    2,779
    Quote Originally Posted by TaurusToter View Post
    *bump*

    No one needs/uses a gunsmith?
    Sorry man, once my firearms reach their expiration date I just hand them out to random children walking home from school. Doesn't everyone? *














    *sorry, I've got nothing for you.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

    "Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

  4. #4
    Regular Member oak1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,937
    For some reason, Wisconsin is devoid of anyone worthy of the title of gunsmith. Seems odd with all the hunters here, perhaps that will change with CCW.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Wolf1477's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Up Nort' Wi
    Posts
    188
    If you don't mind the drive, Dam Road in Delavan used to have a dang good gunsmith (the owner's son). I haven't been there in a number of years, so you'd want to call out there first make sure he still works there.

    The only other ones I know are up here in the Northwoods, and most of these guys are specialty smiths. One works on 1911s, another works on shotguns, and the closest one to me can build you a custom 10/22 that'll rival the Valquartsen.

  6. #6
    Regular Member oldschool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    delavan, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    118
    [QUOTE=Wolf1477;1743268]If you don't mind the drive, Dam Road in Delavan used to have a dang good gunsmith (the owner's son). I haven't been there in a number of years, so you'd want to call out there first make sure he still works there.

    The owners son is now the owner.
    And yes he is very good.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran rcawdor57's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,643
    I've become my own "gunsmith" of sorts. Over the years I've learned enough about guns to do the basics to them including building and restoring.
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

    “Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

    —John F. Kennedy

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran rcawdor57's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,643
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    Sorry man, once my firearms reach their expiration date I just hand them out to random children walking home from school. Doesn't everyone? *




    *sorry, I've got nothing for you.
    Not me! I load em up in a fishing boat and head out to catch the big ones. Seems like every time though I have a tragic fishing accident and all my guns go overboard! I guess I've armed the Mermaids!
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

    “Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

    —John F. Kennedy

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Delafield, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    65

    Thumbs up Local Gunsmiths

    For shotguns and restorations there's a new guy that just opened up. AK's Trading Post on Hwy P north of Hwy 16 in Oconomowoc. See Andy Liebelt or call 262-443-6490. For M1A's there is no better in the area than Tim Enders, 262-673-7317. He is on Hwy 60 just east of P in Rubicon. For AR's the best around is Mike Bykowski at High Performance International. Call him at 1-414-466-9040. He may be slow getting back to you as he is busy. I have heard that Kurk Langhoff at North Woods Gunsmithing in Hartford is a good machinist, but I have no personal experience with him. Also, the guys at Woodland Iron and Steel in West Bend always have a 'smith on staff and I have always had good luck working with them, although I don't know who is there now. All my recent rifle work has gone to Jim See in Pittsville, Wi. at CenterShot Rifles. http://www.centershotrifles.com/ Everything he has done for me has shot lights out. It's a cruise from SE Wi, but he is pretty good. I don't have a recommendation for a pistol guy, but I know that AK's will do some general gunsmithing along with the stuff they specialize in. There is a Mauser specialist in Mequon. His name is Peter Mouka and his place is called The Gunmaker's shop. Call him at 1-262-242-9767. He is at 67th and Mequon Road. I consider Peter more of an artist than a gunsmith. He is a true "custom" gun maker and if you want something really special, call him. Don't just stop in. He is open by appointment only and if you just show up, his big German Shepard may have you for lunch. His work is exceptional.

    I hope this helps.

    Fast Ed
    Last edited by Fast Ed; 04-25-2012 at 04:41 PM. Reason: more info

  10. #10
    Regular Member Yetiman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SE Wi
    Posts
    117
    There's a smith that works out of Shorty's in West Allis.

    I believe he is there on Thursdays and Saturdays.

    http://shortysshootingsports.com/

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    wi
    Posts
    112
    Jim's Sporting Goods in Oconomowoc

  12. #12

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Ed View Post
    For shotguns and restorations there's a new guy that just opened up. AK's Trading Post on Hwy P north of Hwy 16 in Oconomowoc. See Andy Liebelt or call 262-443-6490.
    Fast Ed
    Sorry for the bump, but I would be careful about Andy Liebelt. I bought an M2 carbine from him off Gunbroker in June, 2012, and he took my $4,525 and never delivered the gun. I posted a comment about it on his web site (where the gun is still for sale), and as a result another victim of his fraud found me. She bought the same gun in August, 2012 and never got her gun or her money. I am pursuing a civil suit, and we are both pursuing it with the cybercrime task force of the BATFE.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ellsworth Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,213
    Quote Originally Posted by TaurusToter View Post
    As the title states, looking for a reputable gunsmith in the Milwaukee area. My one guy closed up shop and my "new" guy retired.

    Where does everyone take their weapons too? At the moment I'm trying to get a newly acquired .300 rifle looked at before I take it out, but seems like I can't find one anywhere.

    Any suggestions?
    Greggerson's near my place. They are in Baldwin

  15. #15
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2

    Milwaukee Area Gunsmith

    Quote Originally Posted by gotechnow View Post
    Sorry for the bump, but I would be careful about Andy Liebelt. I bought an M2 carbine from him off Gunbroker in June, 2012, and he took my $4,525 and never delivered the gun. I posted a comment about it on his web site (where the gun is still for sale), and as a result another victim of his fraud found me. She bought the same gun in August, 2012 and never got her gun or her money. I am pursuing a civil suit, and we are both pursuing it with the cybercrime task force of the BATFE.
    If you do business with Andy Liebelt, insist on only using a credit card as a form of payment. That way, you'll have some protection from your card company if the transaction does not work to your satisfaction!

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Waukesha, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    721
    Reineman's true value hardware

    Their gunsmith got me out of a jam.

    Gotta support a local Hardware store that sells and services guns.

  17. #17
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Franklin
    Posts
    6

    Milwaukee area gunsmith

    Know of a customer who took a firearm to Andy Liebelt of AK's Trading Post for a cleaning at the end of hunting season. He requested that it

    be completely detail stripped, that all parts be thoroughly cleaned, and then lubed prior to reassembly. The gun was put into his safe after

    getting it back from AK's. When getting ready for next year's new season, he was shocked to discover that it wasn't cleaned at all! Liebelt just

    ran an oily patch down the bore, wiped down the outside of the gun with an oily cloth and then put it into the customer's case for pickup. Two

    minutes worth of work and he charged this customer an arm and a leg for this "service". Have also talked to others who have received this same

    kind of shoddy work from Liebelt. I wouldn't recommend going to him for anything!
    Last edited by pistolman; 09-29-2015 at 05:07 PM.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,161
    Anyone else notice that all the posters dissin' Liebelt have one post to their credit?
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  19. #19
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,885
    night...i was more amazed the LG's owner in the tale of woe didn't notice the poor cleaning job until the next hunting season...

    oh pistolman...welcome to the forum and thanks for your post on a dead thread...

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  20. #20
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Franklin
    Posts
    6

    Milwaukee area gunsmith

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Anyone else notice that all the posters dissin' Liebelt have one post to their credit?
    Nightmare,

    Anyone else notice that out of all of the gunsmiths mentioned here, Andy Liebelt is the only one who's received several customer complaints? Why do you suppose this would be?

    "Outdoor Wisconsin" is a locally produced show and is broadcast on Milwaukee Public Television, Channels 10/36. Andy Liebelt made one guest appearance on it. He was not asked to return again at subsequent dates as was originally intended. Next time you see him, ask him why. Post his answer on this forum so that it can be compared to what I learned from the cognoscenti.

    Yes, there is only one post to my credit so far. What's your point? You do know that there is a first time for everything? This is especially true for those of us who recently discovered this forum. Why, there was even a day/time when you only had one post. Are there a certain number of them required in order for one to achieve credibility here? If so, just what is it?
    Last edited by pistolman; 10-01-2015 at 04:12 PM.

  21. #21
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Franklin
    Posts
    6

    Milwaukee area gunsmith

    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    night...i was more amazed the LG's owner in the tale of woe didn't notice the poor cleaning job until the next hunting season...

    oh pistolman...welcome to the forum and thanks for your post on a dead thread...

    ipse

    solus,

    Why do you so readily criticize the LG owner for not noticing the poor cleaning job, while at the same time, you are reluctant to chastise Liebelt for not honoring the customer's request? I clean my own hunting guns. However, if one needed to taken in to a gunsmith for a thorough cleaning, I would like to think that he could be trusted to do it properly. Obviously, this was not the case here with Liebelt.

    Are you in the habit of inspecting something after it has been serviced by another? Your car just had a rebuilt transmission installed in it. After leaving the shop, do you immediately pull over to the side of the road and tear into it to see if the job was done correctly? Or do you just trust the mechanic and continue on your way without stopping to conduct an inspection?

    oh solus...thanks for welcoming me and thanks for your recent post on this dead thread...

    Yes, it was originally created back in April of 2012. But, there have been several interesting updates to it that are keeping it alive. Do you have anything against the newcomers who post them here? Only a closed mind is unwilling to accept new information once it becomes available.

    P.S. If this thread is dead as you claim it to be, then why did you keep it alive with your 9-29-15 post? Is it a case of "Do as I say and not as I do"? Or, are you just being a bit hypocritical here?
    Last edited by pistolman; 10-01-2015 at 04:38 PM.

  22. #22
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,885
    Quote Originally Posted by pistolman View Post
    solus,

    Why do you so readily criticize the LG owner for not noticing the poor cleaning job, while at the same time, you are reluctant to chastise Liebelt for not honoring the customer's request? I clean my own hunting guns. However, if one needed to taken in to a gunsmith for a thorough cleaning, I would like to think that he could be trusted to do it properly. Obviously, this was not the case here with Liebelt.

    Are you in the habit of inspecting something after it has been serviced by another? Your car just had a rebuilt transmission installed in it. After leaving the shop, do you immediately pull over to the side of the road and tear into it to see if the job was done correctly? Or do you just trust the mechanic and continue on your way without stopping to conduct an inspection?

    oh solus...thanks for welcoming me and thanks for your recent post on this dead thread...

    Yes, it was originally created back in April of 2012. But, there have been several interesting updates to it that are keeping it alive. Do you have anything against the newcomers who post them here? Only a closed mind is unwilling to accept new information once it becomes available.

    P.S. If this thread is dead as you claim it to be, then why did you keep it alive with your 9-29-15 post? Is it a case of "Do as I say and not as I do"? Or, are you just being a bit hypocritical here?
    criticize , nawllll you should see when i dig in and really start criticizing something...

    but let's see here now mate...
    you get served food that is cold, not what you ordered, etc., it is immediately brought to the attention of those in charge.

    you get your vehicle worked on, trannie, if you wish, and it doesn't run right afterwards...it is immediately brought to the attention of those in charge.

    you get your beloved firearm cleaned and you do not notice the bloody thing is still filthy until six-nine months later...sorry at that point the bloody gun owner loses their right to complain about shoddy workmanship.

    even when the gunsmith who is given my Personal Defence firearms to thoroughly clean annually in the ultra sonic does not take offense when i put a bore light on them to assure they meet my personal level of cleanliness. in fact the last time...the gunsmith gave me his to use. and this was before $$$ was exchanged for accomplishment of the work.

    might be mindful of character comments on only your third post...

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  23. #23
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Franklin
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    but let's see here now mate...
    you get served food that is cold, not what you ordered, etc., it is immediately brought to the attention of those in charge.

    you get your vehicle worked on, trannie, if you wish, and it doesn't run right afterwards...it is immediately brought to the attention of those in charge.

    you get your beloved firearm cleaned and you do not notice the bloody thing is still filthy until six-nine months later...sorry at that point the bloody gun owner loses their right to complain about shoddy workmanship.


    might be mindful of character comments on only your third post...

    ipse

    solus,

    The cold food is noticed as you'll be eating that meal immediately after it's been served. Right away, you can notify the waitstaff of the problem.

    The defective transmission is noticed as you'll be continually driving the car after leaving the mechanic's shop. You can immediately go back to the garage.

    The dirty hunting rifle is not noticed after leaving the gunsmith's shop as it won't be used for a quite a while. The reason? The season's closed! You told the gunsmith to fully strip, clean, lube, assemble and prep it for long term storage as it certainly won't be used until next year when it's time to go hunting again. Once home, the rifle's safely stored. Six-nine months pass. Now you see that the bloody thing is still filthy. I agree; the bloody owner loses their right to complain about shoddy workmanship. However, the fact still remains that he didn't receive the service that was paid for!

    Kindly reread all of Posting #20 here. Please pay special attention to the last paragraph. Which is more important? The number of postings one has or what's contained within them? The correct answer is the latter and not the former.

    Respectfully, pistolman
    Last edited by pistolman; 10-08-2015 at 05:11 PM.

  24. #24
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Franklin
    Posts
    6

    Milwaukee area gunsmith

    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    might be mindful of character comments on only your third post...

    Have some advice for those of you thinking of doing any business with Andy Liebelt. Do yourself a favor first.

    Go to the Better Business Bureau's website (www.bbb.org/wisconsin). Do a search on his business, AK's Trading Post

    in Oconomowoc, WI. There are now 3 consumer complaints posted there. "To be forewarned is to be forearmed".
    Last edited by pistolman; 12-18-2015 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Additional Information

  25. #25
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,885
    Quote Originally Posted by pistolman View Post
    snipp...
    glad you were able to recover your password so you can participate in OC'g conversations instead of whining about...or wait...could it be you are associated with the establishment and pushing good free advertising...

    nawllll...you just found your password.

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •