• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cowlitz Courthouse carry

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Ahhh I see how you are reading that now, I was reading it as both sections being a qualifier. But with that specific or and then the and.....good point.

I just saw security deny a guy from taking his very small pocket knife past check point the other day.

The overreaction has moved to nail clippers, etc.... go to the courthouse and ask to see the confiscated box.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
and is commonly used with the intent to cause death or bodily injury.

, or other similar weapon that is capable of causing death or bodily injury and is commonly used with the intent to cause death or bodily injury.

In this case the ", or other similar weapon" is generalizing other weapons capable of causing death or bodily injury and ....
all knives are prohibited including your 3" folding knife or leatherman and so on.

1245A Defender

well,,,

If the law didnt intend to place qualifiers of the type of knife, or single out knives that were indended for killing,
then why didnt the law just say, "ANY KNIFE"??

Kind of like the words that restrict guns from federal buildings,
one of the phrases actually says that,
it is unlawfull to carry a gun IF you have it because you are going to Murder some one in that building!

Sooo to my way of thinking, None of my knives are generally used for killing people,
just as my carry gun is not taken to federal buildings to murder people!
I should be able to carry both a knife and a gun... I am a law abiding citizen..

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

The overreaction has moved to nail clippers, etc.... go to the courthouse and ask to see the confiscated box.

I'm slowly working on trying to get rid of the silly rubber cops at Whatcom. Funneling people through a scanner like sheep being prepared to be fleeced. Not obeying the laws, lying and then not being held accountable because they are a private firm hired by the county. Funny how a little over 10 years ago we had none of this, then some whackos drive a plane into some buildings and suddenly we are all treated as potential terrorists when we show up for traffic court.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
If the law didnt intend to place qualifiers of the type of knife, or single out knives that were indended for killing,
then why didnt the law just say, "ANY KNIFE"??

Oh Wait they did!

RCW 9.41.300
Weapons prohibited in certain places -- Local laws and ordinances -- Exceptions -- Penalty.
(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:

(b) Those areas in any building which are used in connection with court proceedings, including courtrooms, jury rooms, judge's chambers, offices and areas used to conduct court business, waiting areas, and corridors adjacent to areas used in connection with court proceedings. The restricted areas do not include common areas of ingress and egress to the building that is used in connection with court proceedings, when it is possible to protect court areas without restricting ingress and egress to the building. The restricted areas shall be the minimum necessary to fulfill the objective of this subsection (1)(b).

For purposes of this subsection (1)(b), "weapon" means any firearm, explosive as defined in RCW 70.74.010, or any weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or any knife, dagger, dirk, or other similar weapon that is capable of causing death or bodily injury and is commonly used with the intent to cause death or bodily injury.

In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary locked box sufficient in size for pistols and key to a weapon owner for weapon storage, or shall designate an official to receive weapons for safekeeping, during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building. The locked box or designated official shall be located within the same building used in connection with court proceedings. The local legislative authority shall be liable for any negligence causing damage to or loss of a weapon either placed in a locked box or left with an official during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building.

1245A Defender

well,,,

Oh Wait they did!

I see what you did there....

or other similar weapon that is capable of causing death or bodily injury and is commonly used with the intent to cause death or bodily injury.

Sooo ANY SIMILAR WEAPON orrrr something that MAY BE A SIMILAR WEAPON orrrr something that could be used as a SIMILAR WEAPON
that is capable or is commonly used with the intent to cause death or injury would be prohibited.
OK, got it!
I think you are right!

So since cops have advised woman to hit attackers with their keys or a comb or scratch at attackers, those items should be prohibited.
OK, got it!

I always wanted to meet Joe Pescie, but promise to not pi$$ him off cause he carries a pen, just for guys like me!

A thing that always gets my goat when we debate these convoluted laws is,
there is always a bunch of posters that will argue the most statist, confining and anti liberty view of the statute.
They are usually the same posters, and they are Always Wrong!!!

I and many others will search the words and the punctuationin in an effort to find and support the actual meaning!
The meaning that the legislators really intended,
the meaning that abides the lawfull activity of the people that these laws were written to protect,
the meaning that supports, protects and defends our constitutional rights!

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Now pencils are not allowed......(strip search please)

Lakewood Police investigating apparent homicide at Western State Hospital, weapon likely a pen or pencil.

You can't make this stuff up....

The Lakewood Police Department issued this press release Saturday morning:
On April 20th, 2012 at approximately 3:00 p.m., Lakewood Police were notified of a suspicious death at Western State Hospital.
Western State Hospital staff reported the male patient victim was found unresponsive in another patient’s room and medical aid was requested to the hospital. West Pierce Fire and Rescue arrived on scene and the male was pronounced deceased.

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/crim...ed-with-apparent-pen-or-pencil/#storylink=cpy

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Lakewood Police investigating apparent homicide at Western State Hospital, weapon likely a pen or pencil.

You can't make this stuff up....

The Lakewood Police Department issued this press release Saturday morning:
On April 20th, 2012 at approximately 3:00 p.m., Lakewood Police were notified of a suspicious death at Western State Hospital.
Western State Hospital staff reported the male patient victim was found unresponsive in another patient’s room and medical aid was requested to the hospital. West Pierce Fire and Rescue arrived on scene and the male was pronounced deceased.

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/crim...ed-with-apparent-pen-or-pencil/#storylink=cpy

Not surprising really, inmates or the incarcerated have used many things as weapons through the years.

Here is a few, http://flic.kr/p/5bcWoT

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Last edited:

xxx.jakk.xxx

Damn, this is becoming a pretty heated thread.

For purposes of this subsection (1)(b), "weapon" means any firearm, explosive as defined in RCW 70.74.010, or any weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or any knife, dagger, dirk, or other similar weapon that is capable of causing death or bodily injury and is commonly used with the intent to cause death or bodily injury.

While I do believe that the intent of, "that is capable of causing death or bodily injury and is commonly used with the intent to cause death or bodily injury.", was supposed to encompass each of the items listed and that, "other similar weapon", was supposed to act as an item in the list, the punctuation does point towards the definition combining the two into a completely separate item of, "other similar weapon that is capable of causing death or bodily injury and is commonly used with the intent to cause death or bodily injury.". This effectively takes that ending part away form all previous items. It would be so easy to correct and clarify this if they were to just replace the words "that is" with a comma. In its current state, however, I believe that, "other similar weapon that is capable of causing death or bodily injury and is commonly used with the intent to cause death or bodily injury.", is a single item being covered under the law.

I completely agree that the ending portion should apply to all items listed in the definition, the way it reads simply doesn't do that... for me at least...

Last edited:

Levi

Man, I never intended to start this arguement. :banghead:

While WA state law doesn't clearly state it as such, pocket knives have been used to uphold "armed" and "weapon" charges multiple times throughout the US. While gun magazines talk about legal and political issues surrounding guns, knife magazines do the same with the topic of knives. At least once a quarter there's a report of some poor guy who's going down for something petty and the 2" Old Henry dials it up to felony levels. Frankly, I'm putting my Case right next to my gun in the lock box.

Freedom1Man

I did have to call a gun rights group... but....

I was successful in making Whatcom County rearrange their security ropes so that it follows the law and I have access to many of the non-courthouse related areas, like executive office, county council chambers and all the other 1st floor areas, since our courthouses are on the second floor.

Investigate, inquire, and ask for them to comply with laws, Lock box, restrictive areas, etc....you'd be surprised at what you as a lone citizen demanding what is right can accomplish.

Had a similar problem in Kirkland.... They have a secure box now. They did arrest me at my next appearance in retaliation for getting them to comply with the law. They claim otherwise but you know **** when you step in it.

Took 3 weeks to a month to get my guns back from the Kirkland PD. Their claim was that they needed permission from DSHS (something about a mental health check or to make sure I had never locked in a DSHS mental ward for some period of time) before they could return them Then when I came to claim them the two officers were very rude. One who had 1-2"inches and 50lbs on me (I am 6'2") kept his hand on his gun the whole time I was inspecting my guns to make sure they were mine and seemed to be all there. The woman was a just being pissy because she did not seem to want to return them to me.

[video=youtube_share;D-YxIqB4GEY]http://youtu.be/D-YxIqB4GEY[/video]

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Had a similar problem in Kirkland.... They have a secure box now. They did arrest me at my next appearance in retaliation for getting them to comply with the law. They claim otherwise but you know **** when you step in it.

Took 3 weeks to a month to get my guns back from the Kirkland PD. Their claim was that they needed permission from DSHS (something about a mental health check or to make sure I had never locked in a DSHS mental ward for some period of time) before they could return them Then when I came to claim them the two officers were very rude. One who 1-2"inches and 50lbs kept his hand on his gun the whole time I was inspecting my guns to make sure they were mine and seemed to be all there. The woman was a just being pissy because she did not seem to want to return them to me.

[video=youtube_share;D-YxIqB4GEY]http://youtu.be/D-YxIqB4GEY[/video]

You are not the only one Kirkland had done this too. Sigfan had problems there even though a judge ordered his gun released. I have had to deal with the Kirkland Jack boots my self years ago....they suck. Isn't that something though they want you to follow law and you have to go to court because they said you didn't but then they break the law when you arrive?

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

I'm slowly working on trying to get rid of the silly rubber cops at Whatcom. Funneling people through a scanner like sheep being prepared to be fleeced. Not obeying the laws, lying and then not being held accountable because they are a private firm hired by the county. Funny how a little over 10 years ago we had none of this, then some whackos drive a plane into some buildings and suddenly we are all treated as potential terrorists when we show up for traffic court.

If that was true then why were the planes that hit the towers still flying in 2005? All the parts had serial numbers and are tracked. That plane building crash thing was a hoax. Was there fire, yes, explosions, yes, did something hit the buildings, maybe, was it an airliner being flown by some cave living sand people, NO.

If you listen to everything that the president and congress said right after that they admit to having done it to try and strip us of our rights.

sudden valley gunner

If that was true then why were the planes that hit the towers still flying in 2005? All the parts had serial numbers and are tracked. That plane building crash thing was a hoax. Was there fire, yes, explosions, yes, did something hit the buildings, maybe, was it an airliner being flown by some cave living sand people, NO.

If you listen to everything that the president and congress said right after that they admit to having done it to try and strip us of our rights.

I wont deny they used it to strip rights, but I don't buy into heavy conspiracy theories.

Freedom1Man

I wont deny they used it to strip rights, but I don't buy into heavy conspiracy theories.

They are just the facts. Theories are wondering how the building did come down.

Fact the FAA had the two planes were supposed to have crashed into those buildings flying in 2005.
Fact the temperatures were not any where near 2000F I need only open a heat treating oven to prove that.
Fact Bush stated that the terrorists want to take away your rights and then pushed and signed the "Patriot Act."
Fact gun owners were attacked by the media over alleged box cutters on an airplane.

No theories about that.

elkjunkie

I only mentioned my leatherman because if by their definition it is a weapon don't they need to provide a lock box for it as well? Does the statement "adequate in size for a pistol" mean that only pistols are allowed? It seems to read that if it is a weapon they have to provide a lock box or designated officer to secure. Not trying to manipulate words here. That's just how it reads to me.