• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obtaining Handgun While Under 21

EGM 69

Hey guys,
I wanted to know how to legally obtain a handgun while 18 for open carry (I live in N.C.) I have seen some conflicting things about it over the internet and wondered if you guys had any helpful information on the subject.

Thanks in advance,
Egm 69

H

Herr Heckler Koch

The question is better asked in the NC forum to attract those knowledgeable of local laws. In general it is legal for a minor to be gifted a gun.

EGM 69

Thanks i will do that. I just joined the forum so im still learning a little about where to post and the like.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Find and join Grass Roots North Carolina. They have been on the bleeding of grassroots activism for gun rights. Ask an older member about some of their hassles with The Powers That Be.

09jisaac

The question is better asked in the NC forum to attract those knowledgeable of local laws. In general it is legal for a minor to be gifted a gun.

In general it is ILLEGAL for minors to be gifted a handgun.

If you are between the ages of 18 and 21 then it MAY be legal for you to purchase or receive as a gift a firearm by anyone that is not an FFL. I do not know NC laws but national law (Youth Handgun safety Act) generally prohibits MINORS from being in possession of a handgun but makes no mention of people that has reached the age of majority.

Until you reach 21 though, you cannot buy a handgun from an FFL holder.