• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obtaining Handgun While Under 21

EGM 69

Hey guys,
I wanted to know how to legally obtain a handgun while 18 for open carry (I live in N.C.) I have seen some conflicting things about it over the internet and wondered if you guys had any helpful information on the subject.

Thanks in advance,
Egm 69

kcGlock19

You can possess one at 18yr old. This means your dad or friend can give you one to "borrow" In NC there is no registration of handguns so there is really no difference in borrowing one and owning one. I decided to get a PPP just so I could have a copy of it with me in my car in case an uneducated LEO decided I wasn't allowed to have one. Some counties are easy and some are hard. It took me 2 months of emails and calls to the sheriff and AGs office to convince them it was legal. Just go to the local Sheriffs station and ask for a Pistol Purchase Permit. If they say you are too young then say it is for a private party transfer not to buy from a Federal licensed dealer so you just have to be 18. If they say no still then ask for the Sheriffs contact info. Go home send him a email about this issue and that they can contact the attorney generals office if they have questions about the age requirement for a private party transfer. That should get them moving. For Guildford county, after I did all the above they said they spoke with the AGs office and they are going to make a new PPP for me. It took another month for the new wording to get written and put in the system. It just includes a part saying that i am under 21 and it is for private party transfer only.

Last edited:

rotorhead

You can possess one at 18yr old. This means your dad or friend can give you one to "borrow" In NC there is no registration of handguns so there is really no difference in borrowing one and owning one. I decided to get a PPP just so I could have a copy of it with me in my car in case an uneducated LEO decided I wasn't allowed to have one. Some counties are easy and some are hard. It took me 2 months of emails and calls to the sheriff and AGs office to convince them it was legal. Just go to the local Sheriffs station and ask for a Pistol Purchase Permit. If they say you are too young then say it is for a private party transfer not to buy from a Federal licensed dealer so you just have to be 18. If they say no still then ask for the Sheriffs contact info. Go home send him a email about this issue and that they can contact the attorney generals office if they have questions about the age requirement for a private party transfer. That should get them moving. For Guildford county, after I did all the above they said they spoke with the AGs office and they are going to make a new PPP for me. It took another month for the new wording to get written and put in the system. It just includes a part saying that i am under 21 and it is for private party transfer only.

Well I'm glad at least one Sheriff has seen the light lol.

It's really not such of a confusing issue, really. If you are 18 you can purchase a handgun in the state, but not from an FFL dealer. You just have to get the PPP first. Once the gun is in your possession there is no more need for the PPP. By carrying a copy around to educate LEOs, you're using it as a carry permit, which does not exist in this state other than the CHP. To me, it would only add more confusion to the mix.

PPPs are only used in the transfer of handguns and that's it. All you really need for proof is an ID card showing your age. It's up to the LEO to understand the law and act accordingly. You already did your job by getting the PPP prior to taking possession of the gun. There's no need for that Sheriff to adjust the wording on his PPPs, either. Any FFL dealer should already know about the Federal laws against selling handguns or handgun ammo to persons under the age of 21.

But anyway, you don't have to tell anyone that it's a borrowed handgun. If one is 18 and has no other legal disqualifiers, that person is legal to own and carry openly where allowed just like anyone else.

aosailor

Well I'm glad at least one Sheriff has seen the light lol.

It's really not such of a confusing issue, really. If you are 18 you can purchase a handgun in the state, but not from an FFL dealer. You just have to get the PPP first. Once the gun is in your possession there is no more need for the PPP. By carrying a copy around to educate LEOs, you're using it as a carry permit, which does not exist in this state other than the CHP. To me, it would only add more confusion to the mix.

PPPs are only used in the transfer of handguns and that's it. All you really need for proof is an ID card showing your age. It's up to the LEO to understand the law and act accordingly. You already did your job by getting the PPP prior to taking possession of the gun. There's no need for that Sheriff to adjust the wording on his PPPs, either. Any FFL dealer should already know about the Federal laws against selling handguns or handgun ammo to persons under the age of 21.

But anyway, you don't have to tell anyone that it's a borrowed handgun. If one is 18 and has no other legal disqualifiers, that person is legal to own and carry openly where allowed just like anyone else.

if you want to take it a step further, as long as the OP isnt driving or doing/did anything stupid/illegal with said handgun, there isnt any reason to prove anything. So no need to even carry ID.

bc.cruiser

There is an 18 year old age requirement contained in Federal law, 18 USC 922(x).

This section is for juveniles (under age 18) to possess with permission of the adult owner, and in narrowly defined usage. It does not allow for OC which is what the OP is after, nor does it address the 18-21 age range.

Last edited: