Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virginia teacher arrested after allegedly firing blank shots from gun at students

Virginia teacher arrested after allegedly firing blank shots from gun at students

this won't make any advances in our rights easier

Virginia teacher arrested after allegedly firing blank shots from gun at students
    Published April 19, 2012
    FoxNews.com

A Virginia teacher was arrested Wednesday after allegedly lining up his students during class and firing multiple blank shots from a gun at them.

Manuael Ernest Dillow, 60, of Kingsport, Va., was charged with 12 felony counts of brandishing a firearm on school property, the Kingsport Times News reported.

The charges are Class 6 felonies, according to the newspaper, and each count is punishable by up to five years in jail and a $2,500 fine.

The incident reportedly occurred April 4 at William H. Neff Center, a vocational school in Abingdon. Dillow allegedly lined up the 12 students during a welding class.

"He then pulled a 'blank firing handgun,' black in color, from the back waistband of his pants and discharged the weapon between four and ten shots in the direction of the line of the students," police said in a press release.

The incident frightened the students, but none were physically injured, the newspaper reported.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/19...#ixzz1sUxPNzYj

Nut.

But I'm not sure the charges will stick. If it is truly a "blank firing handgun" it would seem to not meet the requirements for a "firearm designed or intended to expel a projectile by action of an explosion of a combustible material..."

I agree with your assessment, however... a vocational school in Abingdon... wow. What was that movie that Saslaw keeps bringing up?

TFred
    Last edited by TFred; 04-19-2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Speaka da Ainglish? Add link.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Nut.

But I'm not sure the charges will stick. If it is truly a "blank firing handgun" it would seem to not meet the requirements for a "firearm designed or intended to expel a projectile by action of an explosion of a combustible material..."

I agree with your assessment, however... a vocational school in Abingdon... wow. What was that movie that Saslaw keeps bringing up?

TFred
    He's a former gold medal winner!

Last edited by peter nap; 04-19-2012 at 11:43 AM.

Even more interesting.

"Sheriff Newman said it was a "blank firing handgun" and that everything is realistic about the weapon, except it cannot shoot bullets. Dllow borrowed the firearm from a teacher in another department. Sheriff Newman explains what allegedly happened after that, "He basically lined the students up in some form or fashion, displayed the weapon and discharged the weapon in the direction of the students," he said."

TFred

Ha ha OOPS! Keep reading til you get to the END of the code section!

"Persons violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor or, if the violation occurs upon any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds or upon public property within 1,000 feet of such school property, he shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony."

Lesson learned: If you're going to brandish, make sure you consult a map, that 1,000 foot rule might make you a felon after all!
    -----------------------------------------------------------

They'll be able to stick a general brandishing charge, but not the brandishing on school property. IMHO, and from reading the text of the code.

The school property charge requires it to be a real gun. The general brandishing law does not.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-282

"A. It shall be unlawful for any person to point, hold or brandish any firearm or any air or gas operated weapon or any object similar in appearance, whether capable of being fired or not, in such manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another..."

TFred
    Last edited by TFred; 04-19-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: ETA: All kinds of corrections!

Herr Heckler Koch
    Throw Dillow under the bus rather than him be an impediment.

The story made the national 'press' - the Drudge Report.
    Last edited by Herr Heckler Koch; 04-19-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    One of my all-time favorite sketches. Thanks for that.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

60 years old? What's he doing teaching school?

My old algebra teacher was that age and was starting on dementia! He would aften fall asleep standing at the blackboard and curse at us when he woke. He finally lost it and poured his life savings into a Ferrari before retiring.

Was that a starter pistol? Does firing it at the track become a felony?

My take. He was an extreme liberal who figured his career was just about over and wanted to do something to kill gun rights before he retired. Getting himself dragged off to jail would give him that cool, hip stature that all liberals brag about when they do protests.

Quote Originally Posted by BillHoo View Post
    60 years old? What's he doing teaching school?

My old algebra teacher was that age and was starting on dementia! He would aften fall asleep standing at the blackboard and curse at us when he woke. He finally lost it and poured his life savings into a Ferrari before retiring.

Kinda curious Bill.....

How much can you bench press?
    What's your best 500 yard group?
    What's your longest open water trip?
    Do you reckon you'll live to 60?
    Last edited by peter nap; 04-19-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Well, all of that aside...,

just WTH kind of point was this SFB trying to make? That's what I'd like to know.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by sidestreet View Post
    just WTH kind of point was this SFB trying to make?
    Which, Dillow or BillHoo?

Sorry...,

Dillow, I meant.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

Thanks Peter for that.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Never mind.

stay safe.
    Last edited by skidmark; 04-19-2012 at 11:33 PM.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

It took me the overnight to get my thoughts more coherent. See my post at http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ere-s-an-idiot .

Unflinching submission bothers me. I'm not saying everyone can be a hero. I am saying that the lack of opposition bothers me.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Unflinching submission bothers me. I'm not saying everyone can be a hero. I am saying that the lack of opposition bothers me.
    Agreed... but you can get like what you got at Tech: a whole bunch of pussies cowering in fear rather than banding together and, knowing some MIGHT die, making a concerted, concentrated effort to actively DEFEND themselves with whatever might be available.

Cho EXECUTED 30 people. Walked right up to them and shot them point blank. Absolutely no resistance except from the one professor who barricaded a door with his body - and it cost him his life.

Obedience and complacence, just like on 9/11... government says to be quiet and do whatever the turrists say, don't fight back. I mean, sure, since we've been disarmed and humiliated, why not add "dead" to the list?

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    Agreed... but you can get like what you got at Tech: a whole bunch of pussies cowering in fear rather than banding together and, knowing some MIGHT die, making a concerted, concentrated effort to actively DEFEND themselves with whatever might be available.

Cho EXECUTED 30 people. Walked right up to them and shot them point blank. Absolutely no resistance except from the one professor who barricaded a door with his body - and it cost him his life.

Obedience and complacence, just like on 9/11... government says to be quiet and do whatever the turrists say, don't fight back. I mean, sure, since we've been disarmed and humiliated, why not add "dead" to the list?
    It's programed into some people Wylde. How many times have you heard people talk about being left "Defenseless" without their gun.
    Some people figure they can't do anything about it so just stand there and they might be spared.
    Sort of like deer in the headlights.

Some people figure they can't do anything about it so just stand there and they might be spared.
    Sort of like deer in the headlights.
    Maybe they could try reasoning with them.

Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    Maybe they could try reasoning with them.

Yeah....that always works!

Kinda curious Bill.....

How much can you bench press?
    What's your best 500 yard group?
    What's your longest open water trip?
    Do you reckon you'll live to 60?
    I'm sorry. I don't frequent this board as often to get everyone's level of humor.

Is that a threat?

In some cultures, shaking a bannana at someone is a threatening gesture.
    Last edited by BillHoo; 04-20-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines too...,

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    It took me the overnight to get my thoughts more coherent. See my post at http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ere-s-an-idiot .

stay safe.
    I wonder what would have happened if those kids had suddenly rushed that jerk and beat him sensele..., er, uh..., until the threat was stopped, I mean. Several things come to mind.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

Quote Originally Posted by sidestreet View Post
    I wonder what would have happened if those kids had suddenly rushed that jerk and beat him sensele..., er, uh..., until the threat was stopped, I mean. Several things come to mind.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

It's a vo-tech school. Odds are they have a "Facilities Maintenance" training program there, with mops and cleaning chemicals along with those signs that warn you the floor is wet.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by BillHoo View Post
    I'm sorry. I don't frequent this board as often to get everyone's level of humor.

Is that a threat?

In some cultures, shaking a bannana at someone is a threatening gesture.

Damn boy...if you feel threatened by that, maybe you'd better stay with mom a little longer cause you ain't up to the real world yet!
    Last edited by peter nap; 04-20-2012 at 07:43 PM.

if shaking a banana can be taken as a threat...
    i wonder what a dancing monkey means...
    “For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast