• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia teacher arrested after allegedly firing blank shots from gun at students

67GT390FB

this won't make any advances in our rights easier

Virginia teacher arrested after allegedly firing blank shots from gun at students
Published April 19, 2012
FoxNews.com

A Virginia teacher was arrested Wednesday after allegedly lining up his students during class and firing multiple blank shots from a gun at them.

Manuael Ernest Dillow, 60, of Kingsport, Va., was charged with 12 felony counts of brandishing a firearm on school property, the Kingsport Times News reported.

The charges are Class 6 felonies, according to the newspaper, and each count is punishable by up to five years in jail and a $2,500 fine.

The incident reportedly occurred April 4 at William H. Neff Center, a vocational school in Abingdon. Dillow allegedly lined up the 12 students during a welding class.

"He then pulled a 'blank firing handgun,' black in color, from the back waistband of his pants and discharged the weapon between four and ten shots in the direction of the line of the students," police said in a press release.

The incident frightened the students, but none were physically injured, the newspaper reported.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/1...ts-from-gun-at/?test=latestnews#ixzz1sUxPNzYj

TFred

Nut.

But I'm not sure the charges will stick. If it is truly a "blank firing handgun" it would seem to not meet the requirements for a "firearm designed or intended to expel a projectile by action of an explosion of a combustible material..."

I agree with your assessment, however... a vocational school in Abingdon... wow. What was that movie that Saslaw keeps bringing up?

TFred

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Nut.

But I'm not sure the charges will stick. If it is truly a "blank firing handgun" it would seem to not meet the requirements for a "firearm designed or intended to expel a projectile by action of an explosion of a combustible material..."

I agree with your assessment, however... a vocational school in Abingdon... wow. What was that movie that Saslaw keeps bringing up?

TFred

He's a former gold medal winner!

[video=youtube;MqObJtGrKaA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqObJtGrKaA[/video]

Last edited:

TFred

Even more interesting.

"Sheriff Newman said it was a "blank firing handgun" and that everything is realistic about the weapon, except it cannot shoot bullets. Dllow borrowed the firearm from a teacher in another department. Sheriff Newman explains what allegedly happened after that, "He basically lined the students up in some form or fashion, displayed the weapon and discharged the weapon in the direction of the students," he said."

TFred

TFred

Ha ha OOPS! Keep reading til you get to the END of the code section!

"Persons violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor or, if the violation occurs upon any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds or upon public property within 1,000 feet of such school property, he shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony."

Lesson learned: If you're going to brandish, make sure you consult a map, that 1,000 foot rule might make you a felon after all!
-----------------------------------------------------------

They'll be able to stick a general brandishing charge, but not the brandishing on school property. IMHO, and from reading the text of the code.

The school property charge requires it to be a real gun. The general brandishing law does not.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-282

"A. It shall be unlawful for any person to point, hold or brandish any firearm or any air or gas operated weapon or any object similar in appearance, whether capable of being fired or not, in such manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another..."

TFred

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

Throw Dillow under the bus rather than him be an impediment.

The story made the national 'press' - the Drudge Report.

Last edited:

BillHoo

60 years old? What's he doing teaching school?

My old algebra teacher was that age and was starting on dementia! He would aften fall asleep standing at the blackboard and curse at us when he woke. He finally lost it and poured his life savings into a Ferrari before retiring.

Was that a starter pistol? Does firing it at the track become a felony?

My take. He was an extreme liberal who figured his career was just about over and wanted to do something to kill gun rights before he retired. Getting himself dragged off to jail would give him that cool, hip stature that all liberals brag about when they do protests.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
60 years old? What's he doing teaching school?

My old algebra teacher was that age and was starting on dementia! He would aften fall asleep standing at the blackboard and curse at us when he woke. He finally lost it and poured his life savings into a Ferrari before retiring.

Kinda curious Bill.....

How much can you bench press?
What's your best 500 yard group?
What's your longest open water trip?
Do you reckon you'll live to 60?
:banana:

Last edited:

sidestreet

Well, all of that aside...,

just WTH kind of point was this SFB trying to make? That's what I'd like to know.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

sidestreet

Sorry...,

Dillow, I meant.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

wylde007

Unflinching submission bothers me. I'm not saying everyone can be a hero. I am saying that the lack of opposition bothers me.
Agreed... but you can get like what you got at Tech: a whole bunch of pussies cowering in fear rather than banding together and, knowing some MIGHT die, making a concerted, concentrated effort to actively DEFEND themselves with whatever might be available.

Cho EXECUTED 30 people. Walked right up to them and shot them point blank. Absolutely no resistance except from the one professor who barricaded a door with his body - and it cost him his life.

Obedience and complacence, just like on 9/11... government says to be quiet and do whatever the turrists say, don't fight back. I mean, sure, since we've been disarmed and humiliated, why not add "dead" to the list?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Agreed... but you can get like what you got at Tech: a whole bunch of pussies cowering in fear rather than banding together and, knowing some MIGHT die, making a concerted, concentrated effort to actively DEFEND themselves with whatever might be available.

Cho EXECUTED 30 people. Walked right up to them and shot them point blank. Absolutely no resistance except from the one professor who barricaded a door with his body - and it cost him his life.

Obedience and complacence, just like on 9/11... government says to be quiet and do whatever the turrists say, don't fight back. I mean, sure, since we've been disarmed and humiliated, why not add "dead" to the list?

It's programed into some people Wylde. How many times have you heard people talk about being left "Defenseless" without their gun.
Some people figure they can't do anything about it so just stand there and they might be spared.
Sort of like deer in the headlights.