• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

off topic chp question

gmuguy

I know this is off topic but I trust and wanted to get some advice...
with that being said I wont be but hurt if this gets deleted by the mods

I took the plunge a few days ago and filed for my VA chp. I have my reasons for wanting one even tho Oc is my choice of carry. Take your pick other carry options, Oc with a threaded barrel or being able to travel and catty with states that have reciprocity.

What is the turn around time for Fairfax how long dose it normally take? What is protocol and what do I have to do on day 45 if I have not received my permit? Do I actually have to go get something or is my time stamped signed copy enough for me to strap up? :)

Stanley

I've actually been wanting to know this too. I turned in my app 24 days ago. So at least 25 days as of now.

The clerk told me on the 46th day to go to the courthouse with my receipt and pick up the app if I don't have it yet. Not sure if that's right though. I've seen reports of getting it in the mail and having to go get it.

gmuguy

I should just clarify a little. I had 4 copies of everything I gave 3 copies to the clerk and kept the 4th for myself. I had her sign notarize and time stamp my copy Im wondering if that is sufficient or is there some other form i would have to pick up for my temp permit?

Stanley

They told me they "stamp" one of the ones you gave them and that is the temp permit.

Not sure on the accuracy of that though. I'm sure one of the VA gurus will be along soon though. Those guys know everything lol.

Last edited:

Blk97F150

Just curious.... did you provide them with everything they requested, or only what they are authorized to request? (I'm going round and round about this with a friend... I'm encouraging him to only give them exactly what the law states, not the 'extras' that FFX demands. I'm not sure what he is going to do yet....)

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
It was a few years ago but mine arrived on the 43rd day. Don't expect a fast turn-around from Fairfax County. Usually the delay is with the judge. My permit was signed by the judge three weeks after the State Police approved it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Just curious.... did you provide them with everything they requested, or only what they are authorized to request? (I'm going round and round about this with a friend... I'm encouraging him to only give them exactly what the law states, not the 'extras' that FFX demands. I'm not sure what he is going to do yet....)

It wasn't something I paid much attention to, but wasn't that addressed in the GA this year and if so, does the bill go into effect 7/1?

Stanley

Wait... What extras?

There was the form, the certificate from the class, the 50$ and the ID. Do they usually ask for other things?

They did ask me about tattoos//scar/marks because I left that spot blank and the clerk said they needed to know it but I kinda refused saying that my tattoos were my business and she just had me put none on it.

Last edited:

Blk97F150

It wasn't something I paid much attention to, but wasn't that addressed in the GA this year and if so, does the bill go into effect 7/1?

I don't know, I don't recall hearing about that (or if I did... I just 'breezed' over the details). Hopefully someone else will post. I'd love for my buddy to only give them the minimums, and stick to his guns on it! (they have already denied him once because they said his application was 'incomplete'.... I think what was left out was a utility bill that was supposed to be 'proof' of residence. :banghead: )

Blk97F150

Wait... What extras?

There was the form, the certificate from the class, the 50$ and the ID. Do they usually ask for other things?

They did ask me about tattoos//scar/marks because I left that spot blank and the clerk said they needed to know it but I kinda refused saying that my tattoos were my business and she just had me put none on it.

Stamped self addressed envelope, copy of utility bill..... those were two of the things that my buddy mentioned they wanted.

Stanley

Stamped self addressed envelope, copy of utility bill..... those were two of the things that my buddy mentioned they wanted.

I forgot about the SASE. I did have to have that and I had to buy it at the courthouse. They didn't ask for utility bill though when I went.

gmuguy

I gave them my social thats about the only thing extra I saw, I brought in a pay stub and bank statement but just 3 copies of my drivers license was all they needed. along with the 3 copies of the app and certificate.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I gave them my social thats about the only thing extra I saw, I brought in a pay stub and bank statement but just 3 copies of my drivers license was all they needed. along with the 3 copies of the app and certificate.

Shouldn't have done that!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Shouldn't have done that!

Every time someone consents to give in to extra legal requirements, he/she makes it harder on the rest of us.

Multiple copies, utility bills, social security number, and pay extra for fingerprinting are but a few of the more recent special/extra requirements. Some here may recall that at one time a color photo, references, a personal interview AND a list of carry guns w/serial numbers was mandatory and there was still no guarantee you'd get the permit, even if you were squeaky clean.

You can imagine how this list might have grown (each clerk court and judge had their own special wants) if we all had taken the position that it's no big deal - I just want my permit so I gave them what the requested. The permit system must be fair, uniform and consistent - you can't bend the rules, neither should they.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Fairfax County's "Concealed Handgun Permit Process"

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/pdf/CCR-CWP-10.pdf

Edit to add:
Concealed Handgun permit webpage on the Fairfax County Circuit Court website:
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/SP-248.htm

These web pages still contains extra legal items:

1) Multiple copies - only one (1) submission of each document is required
2) Tattoos or scars - info not required.
3) Valid permit (not expired) - even an expired permit is valid for renewal or proof of training.
4) No self-addressed, stamped envelope required.
5) Absolutely no personal interview is required.

Is it my imagination or is Fairfax regressing?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

3) Valid permit (not expired) - even an expired permit is valid for renewal or proof of training.

A simple complaint to the Supreme Court would take care of that!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

A simple complaint to the Supreme Court would take care of that!

What they will actually require and the disinformation on the web pages may be entirely different though.

TFred

SSN is optional, per the Virginia State Police CHP Application. They will tell you that it helps in case there is another person with a name similar to yours. Neither pay stubs, bank statements, nor even a copy of your driver's license are on the list of things that may be required. And as mentioned elsewhere, there is no requirement that you provide 3 copies of the application itself. I suspect most of those are to establish your address and residency, but since there is no minimum time required, none of these are actual proof of anything. Another item that does sometimes seem like it shouldn't be required, but is, would be a separate page listing all your addresses during the past 5 years. Again, from the application itself: "(ATTACH A SEPARATE LISTING OF ALL ADDRESSES WITHIN THE LAST 5 YEAR PERIOD)"

Grape, they may be regressing, however, tattoos and scars ARE on the official VSP application, see link above, Section 4, Physical Features. We should probably be worried... besides tattoos and scars, they also want to know about any "peculiar characteristics." They might need an extra sheet for some of us around here... :)

Yes, and yes. SB563, added this important sentence to the CHP process:

"No information or documentation other than that which is allowed on the application in accordance with this subsection may be requested or required by the clerk or the court." Note, not even requested! This is going to give a lot of clerks a major case of heartburn, if we are willing to push them on it as we hear of abuses.

JMHO, I believe that across the state, the most difficult one we're going to find is the copy of a driver's license. I would bet that nearly 100% of the localities are currently requiring it. Our "friend" Delegate Morrissey tried his best to get it included in one of the fingerprint bills this session (HB754), but his attempt at the floor amendment was defeated. Go read the first floor amendment that was shot down.

TFred

Last edited: