• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maryland files first brief in support of permanent stay in Woollard v. Sheridan case

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
On March 30th Judge Legg granted a temporary stay of his ruling in Woollard v. Sheridan. In that case, he ruled that the “good and substantial reason” requirement to receive a Maryland handgun permit was unconstitutional.

The temporary stay order set three deadlines for briefs to be filed. The first was an April 19th deadline for the state. The second is May 9th for the plaintiff’s response. And a final brief is due from the state on May 23rd. Following that, Judge Legg will issue his decision on whether or not a permanent stay is appropriate while the ruling is being appealed.

Today, as ordered, the state submitted their first brief in support of their motion for a permanent stay pending appeal. In the brief, the state made several arguments which can only be described as jaw-droppingly misleading.

Excerpt ... Read more

Dreamer

I wonder if there are any "gun rights" groups in MD that would be brave enough to have a LGOC (Long Gun Open Carry) rally in Annapolis to celebrate this statement by the MD AG:

Finally, they made the assertion that a restriction on handguns did not foreclose armed self-defense since long guns could be legally carried openly for self-defense outside the home. I imagine that the first Baltimore citizen who tries such a thing will be treated with all the courtesy that the Baltimore PD can muster.

The only problem with this statement is that it is, in fact, ILLEGAL in MD to carry a long gun that is loaded, ANYWHERE unless you are hunting. The ban on loaded LG carry went into effect in the early 1970s, at about the same time the handgun restrictions went into effect, as a response to the audacity of law-abiding African American homeowners who had the nerve to protect and defend their neighborhoods, homes and families during the Baltimore Race Riots of 1968.

Also, almost EVERY municipality in the "Four Urban Counties" has codes that ban "public display of firearms", which INCLUDES proper OC of any firearm--INCLUDING those carried by people with valid MD permits. OC is, de-facto, banned in the parts of MD where it is most needed, EVEN IF YOU HAVE A MD PERMIT.

I think we ALL know why Annapolis and Pikesville are hesitant to abide by Judge Legg's ruling. They want to keep guns out of the hands of the "wrong kinds of people"--and we ALL know what that is code for...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--

I think we ALL know why Annapolis and Pikesville are hesitant to abide by Judge Legg's ruling. They want to keep guns out of the hands of the "wrong kinds of people"--and we ALL know what that is code for...

Understand your reference, but more to the point They want to keep guns out of the hands of the [strike]"wrong kinds of[/strike] people :mad: