• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

colt .380 gov't model holster

j4l

Welcome to OCDO.

It's considered bad form to ask others to do searches for you if you have not already done some yourself. Based on http://search.aol.com/aol/search?query=holster+Colt+.380+Gov't+Model&s_it=client96_searchbox and your statement that you are "not having any luck" you will need to convince me you have really looked.

stay safe.

Gary, In the future, dis-regard such nonsense as these keyboard-commandos ^^^^who choose to immediately attack folks on thier 1st posts,without having put any thought into what they attack.

Skid, why the need to immediately slam the guy? It's as legitimate a question as any of the other 100's of such questions, where folks may not have found a particular product for thier sidearm locally, or online, other than rants and raves by brand-****** and fanboys, or a given-manufacturer's ad campaigns.There a quiet a lot of sidearms out there for which holsters and the like are not common-be it on store shelves, or otherwise.

He perhaps was of a mind that in this place-where such things are discussed, there may actually be something of a knowledge-base of folks who may have the same type of sidearm, and may have found a holster that works out well for it,no?

And, perhaps not everyone is 100% comfy with online purchases for such things, sight-unseen?
It's the entire reason I began making my own holsters, and from there, got into leather-work, myself. My own side-arm was obscure enough that few of the off-the-shelf offerings, in leather, were of a decent fit for mine.

With that nonsense dispensed with, Gary, are you seeking OC or CC holsters? Leather or otherwise? A few more specifics can help narrow things down a bit.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
OK, so maybe it's just that garyd does not know how to phrase a question. But I see that j4l is just as guilty as he claims I am, because he demands that the new guy actually 1) state what kind of carry he is contemplating, 2) whether he wants traditional leather or something else (without specifying what type of synthetic), and 3) bringing up CC in defiance of Rule 8:
KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.

Enabling garyd is not going to help him. Doing so via an ad hominem attack to boot is surely not good form.

If garyd wanted an opinion on this or that specific holster, or asked which of any various holsters might serve the purpose he had in mind, or even if he had asked what everybody else who carried a Colt .380 gov't. model was using, then he might not run afoul of good forum behavior. But his open-ended "I'm not having any luck finding a good holster" without stating what he's looked at/tried/rejected (any combination thereof) does not stand up to a basic Google search where numerous examples of "good" holsters were reviewed.

So here's the deal - I will provide what assistance I can to newbie garyd once he provides some clearer perameters of what he is looking for. But I still do not believe he should be asking anybody here to do his basic homework for him.

stay safe.

garyd

Thanks for the reply j41,

Please don't be so hard on ol' Skid though, he did throw in a site to check. I have talked with a few holster makers and the DeSantis Number 2 looked good to me. It covered the trigger and had a thumb break. A good leather cc. Unfortunately, they don't build it anymore. There are a few holsters out there that would work, but, I'd prefer one built specifically for this little pistol. I have a Mitch Rosen for my 1911 and it is comfortable and the fit is superb, but he doesn't make a holster for the little Colt .380 Gov't Model.

j4l

Thanks for the reply j41,

Please don't be so hard on ol' Skid though, he did throw in a site to check. I have talked with a few holster makers and the DeSantis Number 2 looked good to me. It covered the trigger and had a thumb break. A good leather cc. Unfortunately, they don't build it anymore. There are a few holsters out there that would work, but, I'd prefer one built specifically for this little pistol. I have a Mitch Rosen for my 1911 and it is comfortable and the fit is superb, but he doesn't make a holster for the little Colt .380 Gov't Model.

Np.
Do you know how much, if any, real size difference there might be between one for an Officer's model vs. the .380? Perhaps something like that might work?
As to my asking about OC/CC, etc. that was just to clarify what kind/type of holster was being sought. As there are quiet a few differences.

garyd

.380 Colt Gov't Model holster

At this point I'd be happy with any gun leather oc or cc. There is significant differences between the Colt .45 ACP models and the .380 Gov't. I am interested in hearing from anyone who might have one of these little guns and what they carry it in or what their ideal method of carry is. Also, what ammo they like to use. I'm not really expecting anyone to do any research, just share what they think if and only if they want to.
I did read the rules of this sight, it was late at night, but, i read them. As I recall the emphasis was on behavior. I'm new to discussion groups and I assume I'll make a few errors. Fortunately, I don't offend easily, so, Skid, you'll just have to bear with me cause I'll be around a while. Thanks.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
garyd -

I hope you stick around for a long time.

As you might have noticed, the .380 gov't model is a small gun - as a matter of fact it pretty much started out as a pocket gun. It "graduated" to being issued as a sidearm for general officers. There is no proof of the notion that generals were issued .380s because anything more powerful would make them dangerous. Anyhow, the history of the gun is mostly as concealed carry in either the vest pocket (where it originally started out) or in either the suitcoat or trouser pocket.

Ross holsters http://www.ccwsupply.biz/RGLColtGovtPonyMustang.htm pretty much illustrates that it was not intended as a "traditional" IWB OC item.

You may not find an actual Heiser holster, but this http://www.coltforum.com/forums/pho...model-heiser-holster-franz-loc-belt-clip.html will give you a good idea of what a lot of folks used to think was a good IWB OC holster for the model.

You could go this route http://www.mernickleholsters.com/bm_hol_a.html . Just make sure your all pants can accommodate the belt.

Ammo for the .380? Pretty much any search will show you what folks are currently saying is better than sliced bread. Just be sure to make sure your .380 can handle the specific cartridge and load before you swoop down on that great bulk purchase price. You can spend the rest of your life debating FMJ vs. hollowpoint. Personally, I do not see the .380 presenting an overpenetration problem. But I do not shoot that caliber.

stay safe.

garyd

Thanks for the referral sites Skidmark. I looked them over and didn't quite see anything that blew my skirt up, but, I'm not in a hurry as my little .380 has been in the shop for 11 months awaiting a ambi safety. I appreciate the help and enjoy the site thanks for the warm welcome.