• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ted Nugent > " Open Carry Is For Weirdos" < quote from Uncle Ted > see video >>>>>>

ManInBlack

I open carry on a daily basis, including inside my home at all times. I have done so for over 2 months now.

Look out, we got a badass over here...

Damn, dude, you mean to tell me you've been carrying for all of 2 months? And even inside your HOUSE?!? Lord almighty, that is extreme!!! Don't you need a permit or something for that?!? :uhoh:

Like, OMG...

:rolleyes:

Medic1210

Look out, we got a badass over here...

Damn, dude, you mean to tell me you've been carrying for all of 2 months? And even inside your HOUSE?!? Lord almighty, that is extreme!!! Don't you need a permit or something for that?!? :uhoh:

Like, OMG...

:rolleyes:

Wow, so I'm discredited now because I've only been practicing open carry for a little over two months now? I'm sorry, but how long do I need to be open carrying before I can rightfully participate in your forum? I've carried concealed for over 10 years, but have only recently started open carrying on a regular basis. I only mentioned that info to show that I'm not anti-open carry as your troll comment would seem to indicate. So I guess instead of intelligent debate, you've decided to resort to underhanded insults. What was that you said about a troll again?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

ManInBlack

Wow, so I'm discredited now because I've only been practicing open carry for a little over two months now?

A little over 6.5% of your posts have been just debating me in this thread.

I hate to break it to you, good sir, but you never had any credibility to begin with.

Medic1210

A little over 6.5% of your posts have been just debating me in this thread.

I hate to break it to you, good sir, but you never had any credibility to begin with.

Ok, so you took the time to simply count my posts in this thread. How many of my other posts have you actually taken the time to read? Yeah, that's what I thought. I tell ya what, when you're ready to stop your childish insults and actually have an intelligent conversation, let me know. In the mean time, I'll start working hard on improving my zero credibility status that you've so graciously given me.

PistolPackingMomma

Yes, Medic, it can happen. Anything can happen to anyone at any time; there is no fail-proof guarantee in anything.

The question is, are the odds significant enough to make it an un-necessary risk?

Remember that we have higher odds of being struck by lightning or attacked by a shark, or winning the lottery. And when we carry guns for self defense, we also employ situational awareness, keeping space between us and others, and other self defense tools of the like. Layered defense, I call it. It does not remove the possibility an OC'er may be targeted/attacked/have gun taken, but it does significantly diminish the risk.

Back on topic; who the hell actually cares what any celebrity thinks? They may be famous, but that doesn't make them special or right. Anyone whom lets a celebrity do their opinion forming for them (not referring to anyone specifically; just in general) deserves their vapid thought process. /rant

Medic1210

Yawn.:rolleyes:

Yes, Medic, it can happen. Anything can happen to anyone at any time; there is no fail-proof guarantee in anything.

The question is, are the odds significant enough to make it an un-necessary risk?

Remember that we have higher odds of being struck by lightning or attacked by a shark, or winning the lottery. And when we carry guns for self defense, we also employ situational awareness, keeping space between us and others, and other self defense tools of the like. Layered defense, I call it. It does not remove the possibility an OC'er may be targeted/attacked/have gun taken, but it does significantly diminish the risk.

Thank you PPM. Refreshing to see an intelligent response, and not someone getting their panties in a wad and resorting to insults when someone doesn't agree with them. I never brought up the two examples to indicate it was an un-necessary risk. I simply brought them up because I have heard numerous folks say there were no cases of an open carrier having their weapon taken. I've even said that myself, before actually doing 2 minutes of research. On the flip side, I have been unable to find any instance of a properly concealed weapon being snatched from the carrier's holster, and given there are much more concealed carriers than open carriers, that has to say something. Again, I'm not trying to say one way is less risky than the other. I'm just not one to blindly argue something without actually looking at both sides of the fence. I know that in my 10+ years of concealed carry, I've never, ever been harrassed by an anti-gun bystander or LEO... How many can say the same for open carrying?

ManInBlack

I simply brought them up because I have heard numerous folks say there were no cases of an open carrier having their weapon taken. I've even said that myself, before actually doing 2 minutes of research.

Did I, or anyone else in this thread say that?

On the flip side, I have been unable to find any instance of a properly concealed weapon being snatched from the carrier's holster, and given there are much more concealed carriers than open carriers, that has to say something.

Your google-fu sucks:
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/71002412.html
Man loses concealed weapon in armed robbery

By KOMO Staff Published: Nov 22, 2009 at 12:49 PM PDT SEATTLE - A man with a concealed weapon permit was robbed not only of his gun but also two magazines, his wallet, cell phone and keys early Sunday at a motel on Aurora Avenue North.

I know that in my 10+ years of concealed carry, I've never, ever been harrassed by an anti-gun bystander or LEO... How many can say the same for open carrying?

You do realize that right now, you are publicly exercising your rights to freedom of speech and freedom of the press (not in a full sense because this site is privately owned and can censor you, but in the general sense that the government will not prosecute you for what you say) right now, don't you? Maybe you should just keep that where other people can't see it, so you don't ever have to get hassled by a misinformed or malicious anti or LEO.

Don't assemble in a public place.

Don't publicly practice your religion.

And don't you ever dare petition the government for redress of grievances.

User fail.

Last edited:

Medic1210

Did I, or anyone else in this thread say that?

Go back and read my post again. I specifically quoted someone who made the no proof comment. As for you, please show me where I indicated you said anything in the first place. You took it upon yourself to start the debate.

Your google-fu sucks:

As does your comprehension. I wasn't referring to someone getting robbed, and in the process, has their weapon found and taken. I was referring to someone having their concealed weapon removed like the guy who was open carrying... In simpler terms just for you, someone who was specifically targeted because of the weapon they had concealed...

You do realize that right now, you are publicly exercising your rights to freedom of speech and freedom of the press (not in a full sense because this site is privately owned and can censor you, but in the general sense that the government will not prosecute you for what you say) right now, don't you? Maybe you should just keep that where other people can't see it, so you don't ever have to get hassled by a misinformed or malicious anti or LEO.

Not sure where you're going with that, or how it relates to my comment regarding open carriers being hassled more than concealed carriers, but thanks. I guess.

User fail.

Please stop. You're hurting my feelings.:rolleyes:

Tanner

Cant we all get along! (get shot in the face by OCers or wierdos)
Im new to all of this but i see where medic is going with it. But any attempt to say that something cant happen to you because of your awarness is a false sence of security. Anybody reguardless of training or experience cant be on guard 100% of the time. low probability situations do happen.
Joining this site was part of the reserch I have started doing in deciding weather or not i should open carry. I think I will OC when im in less bussy areas and conseal carry in more populated areas. There are pros and cons to just about everything we do and this is deffinately no different. Here is what I have gotten so far.
OC Pros: Easy draw, visual deterent, (and this is my opinion but its more comefertable to OC)
Cons: hurassment by anti gun A-holes, Guns make most people uncomfertable, the possibility of it being taken from you

CC Pros: Out of sight out of mind (no hurassment), less probability of someone taking it. (and again my opinion but CC holsters are uncomfertable to me and I wont wear a coate of anykind just to conseal a weapon.

P.S I am well aware that my spelling is crap. no need for "coment" and yes I said coment not comment

OC for ME

I'm not sure "Guns make most people uncomfertable", on the contrary, most folks do not seem to notice. It all depends on where you live. The "Guns make most people uncomfertable" is more a semi-myth perpetuated by LE.

Only having a very tiny sample size to work from, my routine local travel habits, no one, as far as I know, notices and if they do notice they give me a quick 'look up and down' apparently making a 'danger' or 'no danger' assessment and then moving along. typically, and this has only occured twice, the cops are the only ones who are 'concerned' and my fellow citizens seemingly could care less. Ironic actually, 'trained professional crime fighters' are more concerned about my lawfully carried gun that my fellow citizens.

If you are CCW there is no motivation to take your gun that they do not know that you have.

Tanner

maby "uncomfertable" would be the wrong way to describe it. However most people will have some kind of reservation about anyone with a gun. Which would be the reason for the threat no threat assessment. I feel I do this with cops. I agree with everything you said.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I'm not sure "Guns make most people uncomfertable", on the contrary, most folks do not seem to notice. It all depends on where you live. The "Guns make most people uncomfertable" is more a semi-myth perpetuated by LE.

Only having a very tiny sample size to work from, my routine local travel habits, no one, as far as I know, notices and if they do notice they give me a quick 'look up and down' apparently making a 'danger' or 'no danger' assessment and then moving along. typically, and this has only occured twice, the cops are the only ones who are 'concerned' and my fellow citizens seemingly could care less. Ironic actually, 'trained professional crime fighters' are more concerned about my lawfully carried gun that my fellow citizens.

If you are CCW there is no motivation to take your gun that they do not know that you have.
I've had my CPL for almost 10 years. Before that, I carried professionally. No one has ever tried to take my gun.....and lived to tell about it. :)

Even when I first got my Michigan CPL, I never really tried all that hard to conceal my pistol. Unlike Florida and Texas, and some other states, Michigan doesn't insist you conceal your weapon, and there's no penalty if it "accidentally" gets exposed to public view. Of course, when the Open carry stuff started here, I jumped right on it. While I've had MANY comments about my pistols, most have been positive, a few were sarcastic, and even fewer where just totally negative.

But no one has singled me out, no one has even attempted to take my weapon. I have seen some do an "about face" and leave the area I was in. Whether they thought I was a LEO, or a bad guy out to do THEM harm, I don't know. And personally, I don't care.

But hey, that's just me. :D