• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"ATF to accept public comments prior to outlawing shotguns"

carracer

Did I miss a thread on this? Not directly OC related, but, we know how it can expand to other areas.

"The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms is taking a rare step of allowing public comments prior to issuing a decision on a study that could result in outlawing certain types of shotguns currently available to citizens."

http://www.greeleygazette.com/press/?p=9223

Beretta92FSLady

Unfortunately the article--in all of its couple hundred words--speaks to nothing but conjecture. Hopefully there will be an in-depth article written on the subject so that the reader has enough information to formulate a thorough conclusion.

WOD

I clicked the link and sent the following message.

Greetings,

I read this article and it makes me sick. We don't need this type of ruling to make more people criminals. This whole attitude of "Guns are Bad" is just wrong. Basing any decision on the "Sporting" aspect is ridiculous in itself. Law Abiding Citizens do not need any further interference in their right to own and bear arms, based on what someone else thinks is inappropriate. Again, I implore you to stop making more things illegal, because of some imagined threat, or opinion. It is quite simple, I don't like basketball, and I think that it's dangerous… should we ban that too? No. Stop trying to protect people who don't want or need your protection, just because you think it is too scary. We have enough criminals with illegal guns, don't make anymore law abiding citizens criminals too.

Beretta92FSLady

It appears there is a history of these types of studies.

So, 'the working group' view pistol grip on a shotgun to have some sport utility, but a flashlight does not. I suppose we shoot the perp in the dark.

It appears that they are talking about say, the Saiga-12.

I reade the whole thing, and it speaks nothing to self-defense. It seems in the world of the ATF there are military, LEO, and sport-persons,--sorry--there are also criminals, but there are not individual citizens who purchase firearms for self-defense purposes.

Last edited:

WOD

Looks like I'll have to re-send my comment as I didn't identify myself correctly, for the submitted comment. Yes, I agree with you, Self-Defense isn't one of their determinations, but, why would they address that when they want us to rely upon their agencies to do that for us? Apparently, they read the 2nd amendment as; the right to possess and bear arms specifically for sporting purposes....

223to45

copied from another forum

The “Fiscal Year 2012 Agriculture, Commerce/Justice/Science (CJS) and Transportation/Housing/Urban Development (THUD) Appropriations bills”, also known as the “Mini-Bus”, was passed by Congress, and signed into law by President Obama on November 18, 2011.

The new law reads as follows:

SEC. 541. None of the funds made available by this Act may be used to pay the salaries or expenses of personnel to deny, or fail to act on, an application for the importation of any model of shotgun if–

(1) all other requirements of law with respect to the proposed importation are met; and (2) no application for the importation of such model of shotgun, in the same configuration, had been denied by the Attorney General prior to January 1, 2011, on the basis that the shotgun was not particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

This new law became necessary due to the ATF releasing on January 27, 2011, a “Study on the Importability of Certain Shotguns.” The “Study” argued “military shotguns, or shotguns with common military features that are unsuitable for traditional shotgun sports” should be banned from import into the U.S.

The ban would have applied to all shotguns including semi-autos, pump-actions, double barrels, etc. As part of the rulemaking process, comments from the public on the study were allowed to be submitted until May 1, 2011.

223to45

Did I miss a thread on this? Not directly OC related, but, we know how it can expand to other areas.

"The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms is taking a rare step of allowing public comments prior to issuing a decision on a study that could result in outlawing certain types of shotguns currently available to citizens."

http://www.greeleygazette.com/press/?p=9223

You realize the article you linked is more then a year old, the comments were only going to be taking until May of2011, a little late to due much now.

carracer

Ahh! I saw the April 18 date in the article header and didn't read the 2011 after. Did a search, but, didn't see it. Feel free to delete!

Daylen

old news and I'd not trust that report anyway since they quoted dudly brown instead of someone from a real gun rights organization.