Thread: Official response from Scheels Corporate

Official response from Scheels Corporate

I emailed, they responded;

To Whom It May Concern, I am a member of OpenCarry.org, a 2nd Amendment rights site that helps to educate citizens and business owners to the laws and rules surrounding the legalcarry of firearms by law abiding citizens. The topic of Scheels stores has come up,and there have been members who have carried in Scheels stores withoutmissue, while others have had discussions with Scheels personnel. There has not been any negative interactions, however, we are looking for some clarification. What is Scheels corporate policy in regards to citizens carrying firearmsin the stores? This clarification will assist us in making sure rules are followed and that noone is inconvenienced. Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to this request.
    Hello Scott, Thank you for contacting Scheels. Scheels corporate policy surrounding the legal carry of firearms by law abiding citizens is that we follow federal, state and local laws.

Thank you, Scheels Customer Service
    <customerservice@scheelssports.com>
    There you have it.

Boom!
    Patrick Henry didn't say "Give me safety , or give me death". Liberty is what America is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    I emailed, they responded;

There you have it.
    The one and only Scheels I have ever been to in Des Moines, was a positive experience. Incidentally, there is also a Starbucks stand inside the store...coincidence?
    Last edited by BoomerQ; 05-08-2012 at 05:22 AM.

OK.... A little milquetoast on the reply, but at least the aren't anti and follow existing state laws where the operate.

I'm pleased to see such a short and to the point response. I've become accustomed to such letters being filled with enough legalese to choke a horse that I first had to wonder if there was more to it.

I'm also not surprised by the response. A company that wants to sell product is not going to deny entry to people that want to purchase their products. Any other reply could put them in trouble with the law or their shareholders. They are legally bound to optimize profits to their shareholders, any deviation from that obligation requires a majority decision by the board of directors.

Now, if we can just get the Coral Ridge Mall to change their policies on the carry of lawfully owned self defense tools then I could actually carry inside the Scheels store closest to me.

It appears that Coral Ridge Mall does not have the best interests of their shareholders or patrons in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by IA_farmboy View Post
    I'm pleased to see such a short and to the point response. I've become accustomed to such letters being filled with enough legalese to choke a horse that I first had to wonder if there was more to it.

I'm also not surprised by the response. A company that wants to sell product is not going to deny entry to people that want to purchase their products. Any other reply could put them in trouble with the law or their shareholders. They are legally bound to optimize profits to their shareholders, any deviation from that obligation requires a majority decision by the board of directors.

Now, if we can just get the Coral Ridge Mall to change their policies on the carry of lawfully owned self defense tools then I could actually carry inside the Scheels store closest to me.

It appears that Coral Ridge Mall does not have the best interests of their shareholders or patrons in mind.
    Go to Scheels and screw the rest of the mall, as long as you don't leave the store the rest of the mall can go fly a kite.

Go to Scheels and screw the rest of the mall, as long as you don't leave the store the rest of the mall can go fly a kite.

PS-- Does the Iowa law state "ALL" entrances must be posted?? If the entrance from Scheels to the rest of the mall is not posted then the mall is not in compliance with the posting requirements of state laww.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    As I recall there is a no weapons allowed sign on the outer doors to Scheels.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    PS-- Does the Iowa law state "ALL" entrances must be posted?? If the entrance from Scheels to the rest of the mall is not posted then the mall is not in compliance with the posting requirements of state laww.
    I am not aware of any state law that places any requirements on no weapons allowed signage. I recall that the no weapons allowed signs have no force in law. The only thing that they can do if they catch you not complying with their wish to enter unarmed is ask you to leave. It is not a weapons violation if you refuse to leave (not that anyone would) but is merely a trespassing charge.

You do make a point that if I choose to enter only Scheels and not the rest of the mall there is some grey area on whether or not I have actually violated the mall policy. Assuming all the employees in Scheels are aware of corporate policy then it is unlikely one would be asked to leave if found armed. The problem I see is that I do not believe I can assume that the employees would be aware of corporate policy. I believe it would be safer to assume that the employees would either be aware of mall policy (and choose to enforce it) or just plain be uncomfortable with an armed patron in their store.

Knowing the law I would not discourage a person from carrying a concealed weapon in the store. What they don't know can't hurt me.

Activist Member
    Knowing the law I would not discourage a person from carrying a concealed weapon in the store. What they don't know can't hurt me.
    No, but it can hurt them. I refuse to support those who support ignorance as a way of conflict resolution. They can either openly allow those who wish to shop there to carry in whatever manner they choose or they can deal with the loss of business that comes with the alternative. The attitude of not training employees in regards to company policies in order to minimize work, avoid conflict or maximize on ignorance is no different than politicians that seek out citizens that normally don't vote but are easy to rile up towards the voting booth when it comes to push button topics.

Edit: There, not their.
    Last edited by Darkshadow62988; 05-08-2012 at 10:10 PM.

I open carry in the CRM Scheels every time I visit. Havent had a single issue yet. IANAL, but from my experience with lease agreements/tenant landlord law, Scheels has control of the property, therefore they make the rules. Talking with the manager at said store has proven the point. Same goes for the other stores in the mall. The malls no firearms policy covers the halls/walking paths to the stores, not the stores themselves. Yes, it is technically mall property, but the lease gives the store control of the property.

This is just my understanding of the issue, I could be wrong. But for future reference, I have spent many hours in Scheels talking with the gun guys while open carrying, and not a word was said.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Thanks Tucker6900, that's good to know.

Tell me, are there no weapons allowed signs on the doors to Scheels? I recall that there were but it seems my memory is incorrect. I do seem to recall seeing those signs on other doors into the mall.

No signs as of a week ago at scheels . And if i remember there are none at the entrance by the carosel .
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Most major stores, in most major malls that I know of (exception MofA and the Edmonton Mall) have their own entrence. If a mall is posted, it is not a problem if an individual company in that mall is not posted...Just use the company specific entrance..

No open carry at Scheels, Billings mt

So after OC'ing in Scheels for about 6 months, I was asked to leave the store today. When I politely asked if this was their corporate policy, I was told that I could "responsibly carry" in their stores. I took quite a bit offense to this statement, but politely said "Ok, have a nice day" and left.

I'll be shopping at Shiptons for my firearms needs from now on.

Crazy, didnt expect that from Scheels

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce Leverich View Post
    So after OC'ing in Scheels for about 6 months, I was asked to leave the store today. When I politely asked if this was their corporate policy, I was told that I could "responsibly carry" in their stores. I took quite a bit offense to this statement, but politely said "Ok, have a nice day" and left.

1) Wrong state forum?
    2) You should contact corporate and notify them that the store is violating their policies, and needs to be re-trained.

Ive noticed that places like bass pro, gander mountain, sportsmans warehouse etc, all have "please check firearms" signs but often in finer print they say you are welcome to carry your personal defense weapon. The sign applies to any gun you are bringing in to get scope mounted, see if it fits in a case, buy a holster for it etc. Look at that sheriff that just shot himself in the leg while trying a new holster, classic example of why a box store doesnt want you handling firearms.

Coralville Ridge mall and Scheels

Scheels has no problem with people that carry in their store and you can use their main entrance to gain access without walking through the mall. One would imagine that the mall security will not spend much time in Scheels as I doubt they want confrontation with gun carriers in Scheels as Scheels has gone on the record as supporting Federal-State- and local laws. No problem. However in thr mall you may want to stay concealed as not to attract undue attention of those patrons in Iowa City who are 90% liberal!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce Leverich View Post

You should have gotten the employees name and contacted corporate offices, I got a ***** Walmart assistant manager kicked back to floor employee once.

Thanks Tucker6900, that's good to know.

Tell me, are there no weapons allowed signs on the doors to Scheels? I recall that there were but it seems my memory is incorrect. I do seem to recall seeing those signs on other doors into the mall.
    There are NO signs on Scheels Store in Iowa City Coralridge mall. That would be hypocritical for them to do that. I carry in there all the time, then pull my shirt out and cover the Ruger when I walk the mall. Screw the liberals.