Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I go both ways!

I go both ways!

Wait!
    That's NOT what I meant!!!!

Okay seriousness here now....

I OC and CC....

When I am by myself, I OC. I prefer it that way.
    When I am with my lady, I CC simply because she thinks "it draws attention", and she doesn't like to have any attention drawn to her.
    Some of her arguments were a bit silly and emotional based, but in the long run, to make her feel more at ease, I CC around her when we go out.

We enjoy ourselves and can defend ourselves.

I don't have a CC vs OC beef and just wished that the hardheads on both sides could understand the reasoning behind peoples choices...
    Murphy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Go back to sleep....Your Government will take care of you...."

I hear you, I have a CPL, so I can enjoy both methods of carry. It's difficult to fully conceal a G 21, so I don't try too hard. As far as I'm concerned, I'm open carrying in either mode, that's my mindset.
    Be safe, be prepared, and carry on!

Alle Ihre Basisstation jetzt zu uns gehören

My thoughts are there are too many Anti's fighting against gun owners that we shouldn't be fighting eachother. If we can't respect a persons prefered method of carry how can we expect the anti gun folks to respect our 2A rights as a whole?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Support OC, CC, and noC - the real point is that we support the individual right, the freedom, to make that decision.

Regarding infighting and open dissension, yes we can be our own worst protagonists. "We have met the enemy and he is us."
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Regarding infighting and open dissension, yes we can be our own worst antagonists. "We have met the enemy and he is us."
    Fixed it for ya. Of course, if "we have met the enemy and he is us," then I guess it could be both.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Banned

What??? No Pics?

you are a shy one

Originally Posted by Grapeshot

Regarding infighting and open dissension, yes we can be our own worst antagonists. "We have met the enemy and he is us."
    Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    Fixed it for ya. Of course, if "we have met the enemy and he is us," then I guess it could be both.

Appreciate it - my fingers must have been too quick and my mind wondered.

Yes "antagonist" is what I intended.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

So you go both ways? thats funny.

Any who, I agree on the matter of the freedom to do it or not do it. Whatever. I OC because I'm 5'4 and carry a full size 1911 and I live in AZ. It's not a jacket weather kind of place. Aside from that, its comfortable and fast. Someday I'll buy a smaller gun for CC but down here it doesn't really matter. I feel that anytime you leave your property and go into the world, your putting yourself into the danger the world brings. Be it criminals, bad LEO encounters, ignorant citizens (that are voters) and everything else so the importance of being prepared and vigilant be OC, CC or noC is all the same.
    I will say the rules of engagement are different when armed vs. not armed and CC vs. OC but each side has its points that are valid.
    T.V. brings on a whole new meaning to thinking inside the box.

-M

Seinfeld " Not that there is anything wrong with that"

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Wait!
    That's NOT what I meant!!!!

Okay seriousness here now....

I OC and CC....

When I am by myself, I OC. I prefer it that way.
    When I am with my lady, I CC simply because she thinks "it draws attention", and she doesn't like to have any attention drawn to her.
    Some of her arguments were a bit silly and emotional based, but in the long run, to make her feel more at ease, I CC around her when we go out.

We enjoy ourselves and can defend ourselves.

I don't have a CC vs OC beef and just wished that the hardheads on both sides could understand the reasoning behind peoples choices...
    Seinfeld " Not that there is anything wrong with that"
    ;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZPcGapl2dM

So I have my CWL since I left the Army at the end of 2009. I just turned 22 at that point. My girl moved up here to Washington to be with me in September 2010, got engaged December 31st, 2010. Until about April 2011, she never even knew I had a gun, let alone had been packing and carried a CWL. Since I found out about OC, probably on Friday, I've been OC'ing instead. Of course, before engaging in it got her opinion, and what she would prefer, if it bothered her. Of course her response is "I could careless either way" (man, so glad I'm marrying this woman....Not a huge fan of weapons, but she knows it's part of life, and no one would ever stop to use one on her if they had a chance...).

I do both now. In Washington, the weather has been back and forth. But when the sun is finally showing it's face, I'm certainly not going to change my clothing just to try and "conceal" my gun when I have a perfectly good shirt and shorts, not to mention a full sized S&W .45 ACP is a bit hard to conceal in the first place... (Not M&P or Compact size...).

I do enjoy open carry and conceal carry. I believe either has their place and time. Either way, we're all on the same side, and we all do either or, or both, for the same reason in the end. Personal protection/self-defense (not to mention it's our right). If you don't carry, then it's your choice (though I don't see why you'd be on this website???)

Quote Originally Posted by modernknight View Post
    So I have my CWL since I left the Army at the end of 2009. I just turned 22 at that point. My girl moved up here to Washington to be with me in September 2010, got engaged December 31st, 2010. Until about April 2011, she never even knew I had a gun, let alone had been packing and carried a CWL. Since I found out about OC, probably on Friday, I've been OC'ing instead. Of course, before engaging in it got her opinion, and what she would prefer, if it bothered her. Of course her response is "I could careless either way" (man, so glad I'm marrying this woman....Not a huge fan of weapons, but she knows it's part of life, and no one would ever stop to use one on her if they had a chance...).

I do both now. In Washington, the weather has been back and forth. But when the sun is finally showing it's face, I'm certainly not going to change my clothing just to try and "conceal" my gun when I have a perfectly good shirt and shorts, not to mention a full sized S&W .45 ACP is a bit hard to conceal in the first place... (Not M&P or Compact size...).

I do enjoy open carry and conceal carry. I believe either has their place and time. Either way, we're all on the same side, and we all do either or, or both, for the same reason in the end. Personal protection/self-defense (not to mention it's our right). If you don't carry, then it's your choice (though I don't see why you'd be on this website???)
    You gotta keeper, so keep her. Take her to the range - warning it can be habit forming.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    You gotta keeper, so keep her. Take her to the range - warning it can be habit forming.
    Haha! It was quite amusing the first time I took her out. She got the full load, she managed to shoot a 12-gauge shot gun (military style, tac. black, my friend's), a Glock 9mm (the same friend's), my other buddy's AR-15 (which I must say was her favorite to shoot, at least she got to feel what it was like shooting an M4 like I had), then my dad's British 303 rifle, and my .45. For her first time shooting, she did pretty well. I gave her two rounds to shoot at first, and glad I didn't give her more. Gotta teach her to line up targets better, because she jerked it almost straight up on the first shot, and then dropped it down and immediately shot without lining up, and told her she's going through a shooting course before I buy her her own gun, lol. But yes, it is quite fun, taking a couple hundred rounds out and just blowing them away on some unneeded kid's toy or something (buddy had brought his sons broken electronic toy that they drive around...lol) and a barbie doll, definitely wasn't bringing that one back with us (And actually my avatar picture was from that day!)

I do both OC and CC. Depends on where I'm going and what I'm wearing.

I tend to CC about 90% of the time...I used to CC 100% of the time but since joining this forum, I have been "stretching my wings" so to speak...I am very concious, however, of where i am going and who i am around. I am not a "2nd Amendment is the law and my right and so you have to suck it up" type of guy (although i am a strong supporter of the Constitution)...I believe in holding a higher standard of personal and public responsibility and appearance. I OC when I feel appropriate but will always revert back to CC if i need to. Personal safety of myself and more importantly my family is paramount and if that means CCing 100% of the time in order to ensure that I always have my personal protection with me, than thats what I will do.

I have opened carried at Starbucks, several Walmarts in different cities, and a few other stores. I do get some looks but since I am dressed in dress pants, dress shirt and tie, they must all assume I am a LEO. I do not try to pass off as one but I guess it is the manner of dress and the way I conduct myself. During the Chik-Fiil-A Wednesday support on 8/1, i was OCing my full size 1911 cocked and locked in my Blackhawk holster. I was standing right next to a table of LEOs who were eyeball-to-holster level with my 1911 and not one of them gave me a second look. Again, could it be because of my manner of dress? Probably.

I guess i could be viewed differently if I was OCing and I had baggy shorts hanging below my butt cheeks, a dirty tank top and flip flops.

I have my Blackhawk Serpa CQC as well as my IWB holster in my car at all times. In a moment's notice, again depending on the situation, i can opt for either OC or CC.

I do appreciate all of you who OC 100% of the time (or attempt to). You have inspired me to test the waters of liberty.

Thanks all...

GONZO!!!

Gonzo - the water is both invigorating and refreshing. Glad you are enjoying it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip D View Post
    I do both OC and CC. Depends on where I'm going and what I'm wearing.
    Maybe this solves your dilemma?

Gunderwear? Really?.....too funny. I'm a boxers guy not briefs guy.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Gunderwear? Really?.....too funny. I'm a boxers guy not briefs guy.
    Little to no retention for the handgun.

I think OC and CC are both great. If it's the dead of winter, it's much easier to CC, if it's 100 degrees then it is much more comfortable to OC.
    I do think there is a lot of unfounded paranoia about OC. That's a different topic for a different day.

How I carry often depends as much on how I feel as it does where I'm going. I CC to the movies, plays, and concerts, and usually OC everywhere else, unless I know I'll be within 1,000' of a school...

Also, I only OC when I'm on top of my game. If I'm not feeling well, or sore from too much hiking or exercise, I'll CC, but I won't OC.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    "... I'm 5'4 and carry a full size 1911 and I live in AZ..."
    I think I saw you at Pita Jungle. Do you carry a sig?

Off topic, I know. I've been lurking too long. Sometime you just gotta post.

Both ways too

I carry "both ways" depending on the whens and wheres I go. CC, primarily as I dont like being the center of attraction. If OC becomes the general fashion then the populace will relax a bit and eventually it will be no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnhenry View Post
    I carry "both ways" depending on the whens and wheres I go. CC, primarily as I dont like being the center of attraction. If OC becomes the general fashion then the populace will relax a bit and eventually it will be no big deal.
    That is the Golden Chalice - it is also the Right thing to do.

After ten years not shooting, I decided to get my permit in Colorado. -been 15 years since I had a CCW. Cost in Colorado with training, about $300+ In my opinion, unconstitutional.
    I have never liked the idea of Open Carry. I am positive that placing a gun on my hip, even with the best retention, makes me less safe. More open to crazies, more open to legal issues i.e. claims of threats, more open to general harassment. Back when I did have a permit, I believed people OC were a bit "off".
    But I find myself of the opinion that more and more, we must fight to keep from losing our civil rights.
    As a citizen, and ex-military, I guess its time for me to stand up. Take on a bit more personal risk to help protect our future citizens from the loss of our rights.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomGS View Post
    ... I believed people OC were a bit "off". ...
    Considering most of the open carriers you saw were cops...

But, welcome to the forum! I'm not familiar with Colorado, but we have many here who are. OC is relatively common in NV and AZ, and not too rare in UT. You will learn a lot on this forum from those who actually do and reading about our experiences. Most anti-OC views are from assumptions and bad information.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast