• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dahlgren Heritage Trail

MNMGoneShooting

On the Crap List: the Dahlgren Heritage Trail. Funny, when I think of "Heritage", a ban on firearms does not come to mind. Particularly when the very trail was used to move weapons to and from Dahlgren.

Safety in disarmament. Nice...

"Applicants may begin using the trail when they receive a final DRHT Recreational Use Permit signed by the Dahlgren Railroad Heritage Trail, Inc. Each trail user must sign the permit and carry it when using the DRHT trail corridor.

DRHT Conditions of Use...

8.No firearms may be brought onto the Railroad Corridor unless DRHTA has included "hunting" as a permitted use. This bars firearms including unloaded or inoperable weapons. And "hunter" is required to carry picture ID at all times when on Railroad Corridor.
"

TFred

On the Crap List: the Dahlgren Heritage Trail. Funny, when I think of "Heritage", a ban on firearms does not come to mind. Particularly when the very trail was used to move weapons to and from Dahlgren.

Safety in disarmament. Nice...

"Applicants may begin using the trail when they receive a final DRHT Recreational Use Permit signed by the Dahlgren Railroad Heritage Trail, Inc. Each trail user must sign the permit and carry it when using the DRHT trail corridor.

DRHT Conditions of Use...

8.No firearms may be brought onto the Railroad Corridor unless DRHTA has included "hunting" as a permitted use. This bars firearms including unloaded or inoperable weapons. And "hunter" is required to carry picture ID at all times when on Railroad Corridor.
"
http://www.friendsdrht.org/DRHT_PermitApp.htm

TFred

TFred

The funny thing is...

They are trying to have the trail added to a local State Park. That would change the rules.

Their suggested letter to the KG Board of Supervisors:

"The Friends of the DRHT are trying to build a free, public, recreational interconnected infrastructure in KG that does not revolve around cars. The Friends of the DRHT have worked and waited for over 6 years to move the trail to be a Part of Caledon state park. There is only so much that a purely volunteer organization can do, and so we are coming to you, the KG Board of Supervisors and asking that you endorse the efforts of the Friends of the DRHT immediately so that it can be made a state park and a part of Caledon."

Perhaps someone should send them the list of carry rules and regulations for the various kinds of parks, and point out that if they really want to "grow up" into a real park, they need to "grow up" their rules as well.

TFred

sawah

What? Grow up and deny opportunities for employment to muggers and rapists? I think not. They have to eat, too. :)

TFred

This is a very interesting situation.

According to the Trail Info link on their web page, the trail has passed through various hands since it was no longer used as a railroad track. According to their history page, the last transaction transferred ownership to Joe Wilson in 1997:

In late 1995, King George resident Joe Williams began negotiations with CSX Transportation for the purchase of the abandoned rail line. In October 1997, once Joe Williams had a contract on the property, Jo Turek, Director of Parks & Recreation, wrote a letter to the KGBOS advising them that Joe Williams was willing to make the railroad property available to the county and that the ISTEA Grant remained a viable means of obtaining the trail for recreational purposes. She also offered a plan to seek a grant from the American Greenways program. The KGBOS declined to support Jo Turek's proposal. In December 1997 Joe Williams completed his acquisition of the railroad property.

[...] [Later tried to sell it to the state DCR]

In January 2002, following a request from the Virginia Department of Conservation & Recreation (DCR), Delegate Albert Pollard submitted House Bill 1339, which would authorize DCR to accept the rail bed as a gift from the Conservation Fund which had funds set aside to purchase the railway property. The property was to "be developed as a rails-to-trails project" and "would be managed by the Department of Conservation and Recreation." The bill passed the House unanimously and DCR announced the news ("Assembly Transfers Rail Bed") and plans to integrate the rail trail into the Caledon Natural Area. Due to unexpected controversy, Pollard held a King George County town hall meeting to hear and respond to concerns voiced by the trail's neighbors. Although HB 1339 was revised, taking into consideration those citizen concerns, the Senate, under pressure, referred the bill back to Committee. It was "carried over" to 2003 and died in Committee.

In early 2006 Joe Williams and David Brickley announced Mr. Brickley's acquisition of the rights to establish a private recreational trail on the property as an intermediate step toward a state-supported rail trail. In June, Mr. Brickley appeared before the Board of Supervisors to explain plans for the project. Currently, an organized initiative, led by David Brickley and the Friends of the Dahlgren Railroad Heritage Trail, is underway to keep the Dahlgren Railroad Heritage Trail open as a private permit-only recreational trail, and later, with state and county support, as a public-access rail trail. Trail users must have a Trail Use Permit to access the trail.​

Upon loading up the King George County GIS web page, the ownership of the land comes back to this:

Owners Name: RIDGEWOOD 2000
Address 2: 4310 RIDGEWOOD CENTER DR
City: WOODBRIDGE
State: VA
Zip Code: 22192
Acreage: 238.720

A quick Google search of that street address reveals association with David Brickley, the man mentioned in the web page as acquiring the rights to establish the trail.

So... it seems that the ultimate goal here is to eventually convince the local residents to accept giving the trail to the state to be opened to the general public as a part of the State Park system.

There would seem to be no cogent reason for the wholesale banning of the legal carry of firearms. I expect the concern is both poachers and uncontrolled target shooting, both of which can be addressed with severe legal penalties on their own.

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
David Brickley is a former Delegate in the General Assembly. He was, when I knew him in Pr. Wm. County, rabidly anti-gun.

stay safe.

TFred

David Brickley is a former Delegate in the General Assembly. He was, when I knew him in Pr. Wm. County, rabidly anti-gun.

stay safe.
That explains much. You know, in this one particular case, it may be to our advantage to not inform him of the State Park rules... if he's that much of a nut, he may change his mind about turning the land over to the State Park system.

TFred

MNMGoneShooting

"the People's Trail" on the petition. The email I received from the president didn't make me feel like it was my trail. Sucks. I'd love to be a part of it, but I will have to wait until their rules change.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
"the People's Trail" on the petition. The email I received from the president didn't make me feel like it was my trail. Sucks. I'd love to be a part of it, but I will have to wait until their rules change.

You don't have to wait for the rules to change, just the ownership. At that time state law takes over.
Until that time....be vewwy, vewwy quiet!:lol: