Thread: Strange encounter with Dish Net rep?

Strange encounter with Dish Net rep?

Question mark because I am not convinced he is who he claims to be.

Anyway I'm sitting in the living room watching TV and reading dinner when I notice this man pacing around outside in our yard. I watch him for a bit and then decide to see what he is doing. Mind you, I live in a duplex and the unit attached to mine has been vacated and they are doing some work on it.

Anyway he walks up to the door, ask him if I can help him, he states that he is from Dish Network/Direct TV and asks to inspect my equipment. I don't sub to either company...

Told him that and he tried to sell me service, told em I wasn't interested and sent him on his way.

So what do y'all think? Retard salesman or big fat liar?

Either way, he ain't got a snowballs chance in hell of stepping foot in this house.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

You're being cased.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Dish and Direct two different company's I'd report it to the police just in case
    A gun Owner Is A Citizen
    Anyone Else is a Subject

I agree with Dayden, it sounds like he is casing the duplex.

I had a strange encounter somewhat similiar a few months ago. It was 9 o'clock at night and I hear a knock on my door. I ask who is it but he wouldn't say. Just asked me if I wanted to buy a subscription to the Seattle Times. I said no. BTW, armed or not, I never open the door to anyone I don't know. He asked if I would be interested in a Sunday only subcription and I said no. This conversation is taking place through a locked door. He became somewhat insistent and I told him to leave or I would call the police. (And have my gun in hand just in case, in the meantime.) He finally did leave. I was thinking, who goes around at 9pm selling newspaper subcriptions?!? If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, chances are it's a duck!
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Or a cow disguised as a duck.

It was just moments before I posted that. Like he came to my door, I sent him on his way, then went next door to send him on his way again. My aunt lives next door and it's just her and her daughters. She has a gun, everyone has a phone and when I'm home, I'm just a few second away with my gun. Still, i didnt want him nosing around their house.

The door was open as we keep it open all day to save money on the electric. Did not open the screen though. I generally don't open the screen until I get a feel for the person and do not sense a threat from them. Which is just second nature, never really thought about it, just something I do.

Did you get a name or notice a company vehicle nearby? What was he wearing? I'd call the two companies he claimed to represent and ask if they'd dispatched anyone to your area. If not, it was definitely a scouting mission.

Sounds bogus to me. One glance at your roof, should be notice enough if you have a dish or not..so his suggestion to "inspect" equipment, which is normally done ,remotely, anyway...hmm.

Dish Network employees, Sub-contractors, and Dish RSP Representatives all wear similar attire which should consist of work slacks (no jeans), Polo Shirt with Dish Logo, and work boots. They may also wear either a ball cap with Dish Logo or hard hat.

They are also required to have a picture I.D. Badge visible, preferably on a lanyard around their neck or at minimum clipped to their shirt.

Their vehicle will either be fully marked with Dish Network Logos and promotional markings or in the case of a subcontractor, could be a pickup or van with door magnets.

Either way, they should be easily identifiable.

I do not know DirecTV's policy.

He wore a blue polo with both companies logos, no such badge. Didn't see a company vehicle, didn't look either. He had one of those metal cases that they carry their forms in and had some orange paper sitting on top with pen in hand.

In the end, he was a stranger, asked weird questions and made me suspicious of his intent. He was not getting into my house. All the things he had either could have been bought from Good Will or stolen and with relative ease.

Then there is also the possibility that he could actually be working for who he says he does, but still trying to case homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    He wore a blue polo with both companies logos, no such badge. Didn't see a company vehicle, didn't look either. He had one of those metal cases that they carry their forms in and had some orange paper sitting on top with pen in hand.

In the end, he was a stranger, asked weird questions and made me suspicious of his intent. He was not getting into my house. All the things he had either could have been bought from Good Will or stolen and with relative ease.

Then there is also the possibility that he could actually be working for who he says he does, but still trying to case homes.

Sounds suspicious to me to.

No Service at your residence from either company, no I.D. Badge.

Dual Logo shirt? Possibly a retailer that sells both services but he should still have the Dish Approved I.D. visible.

Sending him packing was very reasonable.