• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Strange encounter with Dish Net rep?

Jack House

Question mark because I am not convinced he is who he claims to be.

Anyway I'm sitting in the living room watching TV and reading dinner when I notice this man pacing around outside in our yard. I watch him for a bit and then decide to see what he is doing. Mind you, I live in a duplex and the unit attached to mine has been vacated and they are doing some work on it.

Anyway he walks up to the door, ask him if I can help him, he states that he is from Dish Network/Direct TV and asks to inspect my equipment. I don't sub to either company...

Told him that and he tried to sell me service, told em I wasn't interested and sent him on his way.

So what do y'all think? Retard salesman or big fat liar?

Either way, he ain't got a snowballs chance in hell of stepping foot in this house.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Ruby

I agree with Dayden, it sounds like he is casing the duplex.

I had a strange encounter somewhat similiar a few months ago. It was 9 o'clock at night and I hear a knock on my door. I ask who is it but he wouldn't say. Just asked me if I wanted to buy a subscription to the Seattle Times. I said no. BTW, armed or not, I never open the door to anyone I don't know. He asked if I would be interested in a Sunday only subcription and I said no. This conversation is taking place through a locked door. He became somewhat insistent and I told him to leave or I would call the police. (And have my gun in hand just in case, in the meantime.) He finally did leave. I was thinking, who goes around at 9pm selling newspaper subcriptions?!? If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, chances are it's a duck!

Jack House

It was just moments before I posted that. Like he came to my door, I sent him on his way, then went next door to send him on his way again. My aunt lives next door and it's just her and her daughters. She has a gun, everyone has a phone and when I'm home, I'm just a few second away with my gun. Still, i didnt want him nosing around their house.

The door was open as we keep it open all day to save money on the electric. Did not open the screen though. I generally don't open the screen until I get a feel for the person and do not sense a threat from them. Which is just second nature, never really thought about it, just something I do.

PistolPackingMomma

Did you get a name or notice a company vehicle nearby? What was he wearing? I'd call the two companies he claimed to represent and ask if they'd dispatched anyone to your area. If not, it was definitely a scouting mission.

j4l

Sounds bogus to me. One glance at your roof, should be notice enough if you have a dish or not..so his suggestion to "inspect" equipment, which is normally done ,remotely, anyway...hmm.

rscottie

Dish Network employees, Sub-contractors, and Dish RSP Representatives all wear similar attire which should consist of work slacks (no jeans), Polo Shirt with Dish Logo, and work boots. They may also wear either a ball cap with Dish Logo or hard hat.

They are also required to have a picture I.D. Badge visible, preferably on a lanyard around their neck or at minimum clipped to their shirt.

Their vehicle will either be fully marked with Dish Network Logos and promotional markings or in the case of a subcontractor, could be a pickup or van with door magnets.

Either way, they should be easily identifiable.

I do not know DirecTV's policy.

Jack House

He wore a blue polo with both companies logos, no such badge. Didn't see a company vehicle, didn't look either. He had one of those metal cases that they carry their forms in and had some orange paper sitting on top with pen in hand.

In the end, he was a stranger, asked weird questions and made me suspicious of his intent. He was not getting into my house. All the things he had either could have been bought from Good Will or stolen and with relative ease.

Then there is also the possibility that he could actually be working for who he says he does, but still trying to case homes.

rscottie

He wore a blue polo with both companies logos, no such badge. Didn't see a company vehicle, didn't look either. He had one of those metal cases that they carry their forms in and had some orange paper sitting on top with pen in hand.

In the end, he was a stranger, asked weird questions and made me suspicious of his intent. He was not getting into my house. All the things he had either could have been bought from Good Will or stolen and with relative ease.

Then there is also the possibility that he could actually be working for who he says he does, but still trying to case homes.

Sounds suspicious to me to.

No Service at your residence from either company, no I.D. Badge.

Dual Logo shirt? Possibly a retailer that sells both services but he should still have the Dish Approved I.D. visible.

Sending him packing was very reasonable.