• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Breaking the Law in Charleston?

rscottie

It appears that a friend of a friend may have inadvertently broken the law in WV by recently attending an event at the Charleston Civic Center. He has a valid Concealed Carry Permit from a state that WV recognizes. He did not notice the gun buster signs on the doors and said that the door he went through only said no smoking.

Does anyone know what the penalty would have been had he been caught? Would this have been a felony or resulted in jail time? Would WV seek to have his home state revoke his permit?

I have located the ordinance that applies but cannot find the penalties for any violation.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
A violation of the Charleston city property carry ban ordinance (as well as any other Charleston city ordinance for which a lesser penalty is not specified) is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of between $10 and $500 and/or up to 30 days in jail. See Charleston City Code § 1-8. The effect of a conviction on a concealed handgun license would be determined solely by the laws of the issuing state (most states would not disqualify for this alone).

Last edited: