• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry with a Snit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
After a fun filled day of breakfast with other Colorado gun owners at I-Hop, and travel to Cripple Creek for a trip down the Phantom Canyon Road, and return on the Shelf Road... I had to get a few things at Safeway.

That's where my terrific and enjoyable day ended on a snit.

I've shopped at that particular Safeway for more than 17 years. Everybody there knows me. The managers know me. The clerks know me. We've spent enough between the wife and I at their store to build a new wing onto their building!

So I arrive about a quarter to midnight and do a whirlwind sweep to fetch the items I want. As I approach the register, I invite 2 other folks to jump in line ahead of me because I wanted to write a check and didn't wish to delay them. Besides, they had only a few items each.

When my own groceries are rung up, I write out the check for a whopping $7.27. To emphasize the point... I write a check for seven dollars and twenty seven cents. Rather than search through my wallet (a tedioius process on a good day), I punch in the number for my club card. I also note that I have never seen this particular young man in the store before tonight. Handing the check I'd written to the clerk, he looks me dead in the eye and asked for my I.D. "I haven't been asked for my I.D. in this store for years!" He said "I know it's a low amount but the manager wants me to check I.D.s to accept a check." I bristled some, "I know all the managers here. They know me. The managers have never asked me for an I.D. for YEARS!!!!" The guy shrugged and said, "Sorry, but I need to see some I.D."

I produced my I.D., but the steam built up! I've been shopping this same Safeway for 17 years. Now I'm being shaken down by a bureaucratic clerk for an I.D. on a $7.27 cent purchase. I seldom ever write a check there for under $100. Often I get cash back to the tune of 50 to 100 bucks in addition to my purchase. Now I'm writing a check for a mere $7.27, no cash back, and being chaffed by some guy who is so hot for policy, he can't see anything else.

There I stood, wearing a hat that costs more than the cashier will make in a week of hard work. Standing there with a pistol on my hip that cost more than he'll be paid in a 2 week check. My wife (because of her condition) pays more for medication in a month that the little twerp will earn in a whole darn year! I have car payments now that are likely more per month than he'll earn over 30 days! But he's shaking me down for seven dollars and twenty seven cents? Are you kidding me????

That clerk made a judgment about me and was going to stick with it, regardless of logic. I'm going to risk my certification as a bounty hunter, my reputation as a process server, and risk my ability to purchase guns along with risking my concealed carry permit.... just so I can rip him off of a whole seven dollars and twenty seven cents??????????????????????????????????????????? What did he think I looked like anyway? John Dillenger? Clyde Barrow? Perhaps a banker?

He was still playing with my check as I picked up my bags and walked out without another word. They would not have been kindly words anyhow.

And tomorrow, I plan to visit the store and have a chat with his managers.
I believe they'll take care of this matter to my satisfaction.
Otherwise, the folks at King Soopers still know how to treat a law abiding citizen!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Beau

Hey M-T. You should have stuck around IHOP for my little incident. See I refuse to provide ID when using my credit/debit card. These cards are signature cards. If photo ID was a requirement my picture would be on it. Anyhow they didn't like it to much when I told them that I would not let them see my drivers license. Two waitresses and a manager later I was allowed to sign my receipt and be on my way. Got me quite flustered though. I was shaking from frustration. If I ever eat at that IHOP again I"ll be sure to bring cash.

Roverhound

Sounds like the kid was just doing his job. Doesn't matter who you know, he doesn't know you. Nor does it matter what your car payment is or how much your gun costs, he was doing what his manager told him to do.
I hope the kid doesn't get in trouble for doing his job.
Have a nice day.*****

MatieA

I don't understand people getting so upset about showing ID. I have had cards and checks stolen, and recovered only because a clerk asked for ID. Myself, not having to produce ID to show that I am the person that the card/check belongs to upsets me. It is a matter of making sure that the person that does not know you, is reasonably sure that the account belongs to you. If you are ever a victim of identity theft, you will begin to understand wanting someone to card you when you present a card/check as a form of payment.
This is much different than showing ID to walk down the street, or to carry a sidearm, this is being used to ensure that the card/check is not stolen (as much as that is possible by looking at an ID); it is being done to protect you from theft.
Also showing ID along with a signature card is used to verify (as much as is possible) that the signature on the card, and on your receipt is the account owners by matching it to the signature on your ID.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sounds like the kid was just doing his job. Doesn't matter who you know, he doesn't know you. Nor does it matter what your car payment is or how much your gun costs, he was doing what his manager told him to do.
Have a nice day.*****

Sounds like a typical rant - we're all guilty of it occasionally. Real question is was he smiling? :rolleyes:

PistolPackingMomma

M, how much you make or spend compared to this kid doesn't matter in this scenario. It's not a personal thing; he's doing what he believes is policy. He's doing his job, or at least believes he is. I once waited on a customer who paid with a black American Express card (BIG money!) and I promise you, my paycheck was probably equivalent to the spare change in his couch. Does that mean he was better than me?

Having worked retail, I used to ask for I.D., not all the time (i.e., regular customers), but often enough that I did catch a few people who were using cards that didn't belong to them.

That said, I don't think it's up to employees to "save the day" by I.D.ing everyone who comes through their line, but I also don't see it as a violation. You have the ability to refuse.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
.... I also note that I have never seen this particular young man in the store before tonight. ....

For this you wasted my precious time?

Now, I lurvs me a good rant, and have even been known to throw one or two myself. But let's face it, besides here on OCDO you are not a celebrity whose face is plastered on the media by a publicist to ensure that you are known on sight by all. (And if you do get a publicist, do not believe them when they tell you wearing scanty clothes makes you more memorable - they do not mean thatword in a good way.:p)

Guessing that you move your lips when you read :)pagain) I have probably wasted as much of your time as you wasted of mine. We're even.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--

Having worked retail, I used to ask for I.D., not all the time (i.e., regular customers), but often enough that I did catch a few people who were using cards that didn't belong to them.

Using a card that does not belong to you is not illegal or a violation of TOS.

PistolPackingMomma

I did not say that is was. We were told not to accept such cards, however, to protect our own butts. That was not a corporate thing that I'm aware of, but a judgement call by our store managers.

It does concern me though, because at the time it (to me) indicated identity theft. I'm keeping an open mind and learning more now.

M-Taliesin

Have a nice day.*****

Howdy Again!
Just to state again, I've shopped there for 17 years. Everybody there knows me, except evidently this particular individual.
His asking for my I.D. was tantamont to saying I am suspected of criminal activity in trying to pass a bad check for $7.27 cents.
That's the point.

If people resent showing a cop their I.D. without reasonable articulatable suspicion, why accept that behavior from a civilian flunky?
What did he judge me on? Certainly couldn't be my clothing, my vehicle, or any other external factor.

What I should have done, to be perfectly honest and equal, was to demand his I.D. as am employee. How do I know he is a legitimate employee? He wasn't even wearing a Safeway shirt, for crying out loud. How the heck is he? Maybe I should also have demanded to see his birth certificate. After all, I have no evidence that he's even am American, let alone an employee. I could go on a whole bunch further, but the point is....
I resent, and will continue to resent... being required to produce my I.D. to prove I ain't a criminal when stopping to make a purchase at a location where I've shopped for many years and folks know me there. A place, BTW, where I've spent tons of money over the years, along with my wife doing likewise.

But if they do not need any more business from me, that's fine too because I don't get treated that way at King Soopers.
Yeah, they can hire kids and have them perform "Your papers please!" type checks on my identity,
And I can take my business elsewhere.
I will talk with management with an eye toward educating the kid as to who I am.
I don't intend to get him in trouble, and ask where you claim I said anything of that ilk?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

If you are ever a victim of identity theft, you will begin to understand wanting someone to card you when you present a card/check as a form of payment.
Also showing ID along with a signature card is used to verify (as much as is possible) that the signature on the card, and on your receipt is the account owners by matching it to the signature on your ID.

Howdy!
I'd already punched in my "Club Member" I.D. into their little computer gizmo at the check stand.
That got me a discount on some items.
I figure that's all the check they needed to verify my identity.
Asking for my I.D. was nothing short of double-dipping.

"Your papers please....."

I ain't gonna Zeig Heil anybody, and who the heck is he? What about his identity. I do not even know that he's a citizen of this country, and he's demanding proof of my identity?

And another thing... did you know that a huge number of identity theft cases and credit card fraud occur because a clerk.... not unlike this one... and not saying he would or did do anything of that ilk... either record your numbers to use for I.D. fraud, or pass that information on to their confederates. So if you're worried about I.D. theft, the last thing you ought to do is give out your info to just anybody working as a part time clerk the sort of information you should be protecting. Perhaps that's why it happened to you? Possible? I don't know your specifics. But seems you're pretty free with giving out the sort of info that leads to your identity being stolen!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

Having worked retail, I used to ask for I.D., not all the time (i.e., regular customers),

Hello?????????????????????????????
Did you even read my original post?

I've shopped there for over 17 years.
Him, I've never seen before.

Better than him?
I don't even know that he's a U.S. citizen.
And I have much more room for reasonable and articulatable suspicion about his identity and legal status than he did to card me!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

For this you wasted my precious time?

Howdy Skidmark!
I usually regard your posts as reasonable.
But this one is a departure from your usual level headed post.

For example... Nobody dragged you over here to read this thread.
Nobody twisted your arm to compell participation on this board.
Don't blame me for what you do with your time.
Take responsibility for your own time, just as I do for mine.

I ain't no celebrity on OCDO. Where did I say anything of that ilk? Please cite the reference.
What I did say was that I've shopped the same store for 17 years. They know me there.
And they surely know our money there, because they've received a mountain of it over those 17 years.
That was the point!
My umbrage isn't whether OCDO knows me... that wasn't the topic.
Unless you are trying to hijack the thread, please refrain from irrelevance.

If the store wants my customer loyalty, then they need to show me some loyalty in return.
That's the point.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Blessings,
M-Taliesin

PistolPackingMomma

Hello?????????????????????????????
Did you even read my original post?

I've shopped there for over 17 years.
Him, I've never seen before.

Better than him?
I don't even know that he's a U.S. citizen.
And I have much more room for reasonable and articulatable suspicion about his identity and legal status than he did to card me!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Hello.

I did read it. My issue is, you've never seen him before, he's never seen you before, and you take it as a personal offense that he doesn't know you from Grandpa Moses. It comes off as arrogant.

Rant if you must, but don't get upset when people critique you when you make it a public rant.

Blessings,
Pistol Packing Momma

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Seeing as how the guy was new there, he not only didn't know you but was still probably learning his job. I would cut him a little slack.

Now, I've had experiences where my whole family has gone shopping at the same store for years and I've open carried for years, and then some manager comes up to me and tells me there are no guns allowed in the store and I'm no longer welcome. Now that is something that ticks me off.

But as a clerk myself, who probably makes less money than your hat is worth after working for a week or two, I can see both sides here. All the new guys where I work are told the rules. Sometimes they can bend the rules, but the new guys don't know where it is okay to bend the rules and aren't going to risk their hat money to do so. If they're told to check ID for all checks, they'd be inclined to do so whether you looked rich or poor, or even famous. [Maybe they're afraid of being seen breaking the rule on camera.] If there is a rule that your club card number is good enough as ID, he may not have all the rules down since he is new.

As for trusting rich people, there are rich people out there who nonetheless are compulsive liars and kleptomaniacs. I've had people covered in gold try to rip me off for a $10 ticket or to get an extra $2 in change that I already gave them.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Hello.

I did read it. My issue is, you've never seen him before, he's never seen you before, and you take it as a personal offense that he doesn't know you from Grandpa Moses. It comes off as arrogant.

Rant if you must, but don't get upset when people critique you when you make it a public rant.

Blessings,
Pistol Packing Momma

I am going to have to agree here.

MKEgal

For checks, I'd think that if the customer # you'd punched in showed up on their screen with the same info as was on your check, that'd be good enough. (Esp. for such a small amount.) But maybe the manager(s) can make a picture list for the new guy, to show who the long-time & trustworthy customers are.

For credit cards, both Visa & Mastercard say in their rules for businesses that they are NOT allowed to make showing ID a condition of acceptance of the card for a purchase. Your signature which matches the signature on the card is your ID. That's why it has to be signed, & why putting "see ID" on the card won't work.
(By the rules of MC & V, it has to be signed & the merchant can't ask for ID.)

If they have doubts about the validity of the purchase, they call a hotline & answer a bunch of yes or no questions so the customer isn't supposed to be aware of what's happening.

But if you run into that you can complain to the card company & they'll straighten out the merchant.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP...After a fun filled day of breakfast with...(the OP)

Let me make sure I understand this. You're bent out of shape because a new employee applied policy where you haven't had that policy applied to you in years?

Completely aside from the sheer arrogance of thinking a private entity owes it to you to accept your paper promise to pay without at least being able to verify you are in fact the account-holder...and completely aside from the fact that the ID request for checks dates to what? the 1970's. Those two points completely aside, you expect a new clerk who does not know you to credit your 17 years patronage?

Give me a **cking break!!

Listen, I knew you were capable of weaseling from your previous evasive, irrelevant, and non-sequitur arguments, but this one takes the cake. Who are you to be offended when a new clerk does not know you? Oooooo. "I am the great M-Taliesin! How dare you not know me!"

Status
Not open for further replies.