• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is required to Open Carry (18years old)

Wisconsinboy

Hey everyone, I just joined this forum. I currently live in Waukesha WI but I am moving to Orem Utah on June 18th. I just recently turned 18. I am buying a S&W Sigma series handgun from a private seller on Monday and I am not quite sure what to do from there. I have seen some places that if you are between the age of 18 and 20 in Utah you still need a permit to Open Carry. Is that true? If so, where do I find the form and requirements. Also, is there any restrictions on where it needs to be openly displayed. For example, could I wear drop leg serpa holster? Also, what do you guys think the best way to go about "registering" the gun would be? Should I wait to move to Utah to register it, or should I register it in Wisconsin and transfer the registration to Utah? I am a first time gun owner so I dont know much. What I do know is that everything I do must be legal since I am moving to Utah to study criminal justice law enforcement and any run-ins with the law will effect my future greatly.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Your question is better asked in a state specific forum, in this case Utah or Wisconsin. Wisconsin does not have or require registration.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Utah requires a concealed handgun permit if you want to open carry loaded on foot. Loaded carry in vehicles OK without permit, openly or concealed. Unoaded is defined as 2 actions required to fire to fire - our understanding is that "Israeli carry," magazine in, no chambered round, is unloaded for purposes of Utah law.

Wisconsinboy

I am concerned because this site (http://www.opencarry.org/ut.html) says minimum age to Open carry "18 (Valid Permit Required). However, I have not been able to find any where that I would actually need a permit. I am willing to get one if I need too, but I cant even find any information on it. Please help me out with this.

Utah_Patriot

Welcome

Welcome to Utah being 18 years old in Utah only allows Unloaded open carry. In order to be unloaded with a semi automatic firearm you can not have one in the chamber. So for example magazine loaded no bullets in the chamber.

Without a permit you can not enter schools colleges. Since you do not have a CCW permit you have to be 21 years old in Utah to have a permit.

That being said you may have a loaded firearm in your car as long as you have the owners permission also you may have a loaded firearm in your camp or house with the owners permission.

If you may go pretty much anywhere except federal facility's ie federal buildings post offices ranger stations. You can not enter a mental facility like the state mental hospital.

OC for ME

Have a good lawyer, in Utah, on speed dial. Buy a recording device and use it if it is legal to do so. Turn it on when you walk out the door, turn it off when you walk back in at the end of the day.

Ya gotta look 40-ish these day just to buy a pack of smokes....I ain't been carded for buying a pack of smokes in nearly 20 years....dag nab it.

A 'just-turned-18' fella may attract unwanted LEO attention regardless of your legality. I'm not saying don't exercise your right, just be aware that some LEOs just plain suck at guessing that your are of legal age to OC just by looking at you. Then there are the LEOs that just plain suck at even knowing it is not illegal to OC....where it ain't illegal to OC, that is.

I think there is even a thread around here someplace that may be of some small value to a young whippersnapper such as yerself.

Good luck.