Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Va. governor seeks gun check improvements

Va. governor seeks gun check improvements

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/virg...vements-042012

Updated: Friday, 20 Apr 2012, 5:46 PM EDT
    Published : Friday, 20 Apr 2012, 5:46 PM EDT

RICHMOND, Va. - Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell is asking other governors across the nation to improve their states' record-sharing with a national background check system for gun purchases.

Media outlets report that McDonnell made the request in a letter sent this week to all 49 other governors. The letter came as Virginia observed the fifth anniversary of the April 16, 2007, mass shootings at Virginia Tech that left 33 dead, including the gunman.

In his letter, McDonnell asks the other governors to evaluate their state's reporting of mental health and other information to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, and to take any necessary action to prevent future tragedies.

McDonnell spokesman Tucker Martin says the governor sent the letter after he heard from family members of the Virginia Tech victims.

Too bad he's not working to improve the speed at which the checks are performed.....

Would someone be kind enough to correct me if I am wrong. Wasn't Cho within the perameters for purchase at the time he made his purchses? So how could "The Tragedy" have been prevented by better records checks?

I am growing tired of Gov. McDonnell's pandering and dancing in the blood of the Va Tech victims instead of doing something - anything - that might actually prevent a repetition of that event or one similar.

While I do not know, I'm willing to speculate that the guy who shot blanks at his students could have passed a background check if he had gone through one. So how would tightening up on reporting have prevented that incident, huh?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Unsure of all the details that may have evolved after this was written. Found this with a very quick Google search:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3052278&page=1

TFred

ETA: In any case, this is at least better than hammering on the mythical "gun show loophole," which we do know for sure had nothing to do with the VT mass murder.
    Last edited by TFred; 04-22-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Would someone be kind enough to correct me if I am wrong. Wasn't Cho within the perameters for purchase at the time he made his purchses? So how could "The Tragedy" have been prevented by better records checks?

I am growing tired of Gov. McDonnell's pandering and dancing in the blood of the Va Tech victims instead of doing something - anything - that might actually prevent a repetition of that event or one similar.

While I do not know, I'm willing to speculate that the guy who shot blanks at his students could have passed a background check if he had gone through one. So how would tightening up on reporting have prevented that incident, huh?

stay safe.
    What do you expect. He was elected on a pro gun platform, with a questionable background and using Anti Gun leech, Tucker Martin, as a media director.

The only good thing that can be said about McDonnell is that he wasn't twins.

McDonnell needs to start the equivalent of MIAG. He can call it GWSI (Governors With Stupid Ideas)

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    What do you expect. He was elected on a pro gun platform, with a questionable background and using Anti Gun leech, Tucker Martin, as a media director.

The only good thing that can be said about McDonnell is that he wasn't twins.

McDonnell needs to start the equivalent of MIAG. He can call it GWSI (Governors With Stupid Ideas)
    McDonnell was elected on Ken Cuccenelli's coattails, Now he want's to be VP - doesn't he know that Ken isn't running for president?.............yet?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Here I thought maybe he'd really be talking about improvements... you know, making it easier for good people to protect themselves.

Gov. Bob McDonnell is asking other governors across the nation to improve their states' record-sharing with a national background check system for gun purchases.
    Isn't there already this thing called NICS? Someone on his staff should have told him about it before he sent that letter. Looks like more of a fool.

McDonnell asks the other governors to evaluate their state's reporting of mental health and other information to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System
    The only info they're allowed to have or report are court cases where someone's found not guilty by mental disease, found mentally incompetent, etc.
    The state has no hand in medical records.

and to take any necessary action to prevent future tragedies.
    So he's going to do away with the "(legal) gun-free" zones?
    Great!
    (Somehow I don't think that's really what he intends.)
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

the 'honorable' gov ain't got no sack.

(sorry... i'm in one of 'those' kinda moods today)
    “For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

From my earlier link:

"A court found that Virginia Tech killer Seung-Hui Cho was "mentally ill" and potentially dangerous. Then it let him go."

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    The only info they're [NICS] allowed to have or report are court cases where someone's found not guilty by mental disease, found mentally incompetent, etc.
    The state has no hand in medical records.
    I haven't read the letters to the other Governors, but it seems to me that McDonnell may be trying to get all states to report what was not reported in Cho's case to NICS.

Would that have stopped Cho's murder spree? There is simply no way to know. Would that make it harder for the next Cho to get his guns? Again, no way to know.

I do know one thing for certain: If we come out as a group against every effort that attempts to keep guns out of the hands of those who are properly declared to be mentally ill and a threat to themselves or others, we will lose that debate with the public, and we will lose it very badly.

We need to pick our battles carefully. Love them or hate them, we would do well to learn from the NRA on how to strategically pick the battles to fight. They rarely lose, and that is no accident.

TFred
    Last edited by TFred; 04-22-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    From my earlier link:

"A court found that Virginia Tech killer Seung-Hui Cho was "mentally ill" and potentially dangerous. Then it let him go."

I haven't read the letters to the other Governors, but it seems to me that McDonnell may be trying to get all states to report what was not reported in Cho's case to NICS.

Would that have stopped Cho's murder spree? There is simply no way to know. Would that make it harder for the next Cho to get his guns? Again, no way to know.

I do know one thing for certain: If we come out as a group against every effort that attempts to keep guns out of the hands of those who are properly declared to be mentally ill and a threat to themselves or others, we will lose that debate with the public, and we will lose it very badly.

We need to pick our battles carefully. Love them or hate them, we would do well to learn from the NRA on how to strategically pick the battles to fight. They rarely lose, and that is no accident.

TFred
    Perhaps TFred, except.....

A. If Government wants it, it's almost guaranteed to be bad and if it isn't, it will be abused immediately.

B. There is no way to stop the killing. Anyone can be killed despite safeguards. The safeguards only restrict honest people.

C. I don't see a group (Unless you're talking about gunowners which is already sharply divided) objecting. Just individuals that become a group because they are like minded.

D. The NRA is a horrible example. They rarely lose because they rarely fight.

E. And the big one. Give an inch and you've lost an inch but gained nothing.
    Last edited by peter nap; 04-22-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Perhaps TFred, except.....

A. If Government wants it, it's almost guaranteed to be bad and if it isn't, it will be abused immediately.

B. There is no way to stop the killing. Anyone can be killed despite safeguards. The safeguards only restrict honest people.

C. I don't see a group (Unless you're talking about gunowners which is already sharply divided) objecting. Just individuals that become a group because they are like minded.

D. The NRA is a horrible example. They rarely lose because they rarely fight.

E. And the big one. Give an inch and you've lost an inch but gained nothing.
    You may be right on every point... but what I'm trying to say is that if we let the media and the gun-grabbers frame the battle in terms of "those gun nuts want to let the criminally insane have guns," we will lose and lose big. Perception is 90% of the fight.

TFred

You may be right on every point... but what I'm trying to say is that if we let the media and the gun-grabbers frame the battle in terms of "those gun nuts want to let the criminally insane have guns," we will lose and lose big. Perception is 90% of the fight.

TFred
    I understood that my friend...That's why the soapbox stayed in the corner!
    Last edited by peter nap; 04-22-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Founder's Club Member
    SNIP From my earlier link:

The newswriter quoted above is basically implying that a person should be seized and held without charges or a conviction. On the say so of a so-called mental-health professional whose industry and "science" is riddled with contradictions and unsupported assertions.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Herr Heckler Koch
    If a felon may properly be disbarred his rights under color of law, then we all can be legally disarmed merely by sufficiently lowering the bar of felony as has been done for stressed vets and alleged abusers.

In the case at hand this would be even more problematic given the moving target of mental illness. If I recall correctly, the Soviets used it well to their own nefarious ends.

Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when compromising with as an intractable foe as ignorance.

I graduated high school in 1966, diagnosed with an extreme "IQ", that today might be called "ADD-HAS" and gotten me addicted to Ritalin-Methylphenidate at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    I graduated high school in 1966, diagnosed with an extreme "IQ", that today might be called "ADD-HAS" and gotten me addicted to Ritalin-Methylphenidate at best.

Herr Heckler Koch
    That's easy for you to say.
    Last edited by Herr Heckler Koch; 04-22-2012 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    That's easy for you to say.
    Multiple screen name disorder too...huh

Here is the letter:

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    SNIP In his letter, McDonnell asks the other governors to...take any necessary action to prevent future tragedies.
    Wouldn't it be grand if the governor of (Utah?) wrote back saying, "We already did. We allowed concealed carry on college campuses"?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Here is the letter:
    Do you have the rest?

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Wouldn't it be grand if the governor of (Utah?) wrote back saying, "We already did. We allowed concealed carry on college campuses"?
    Ha! That would be great!

Do you have the rest?

TFred

Founder's Club Member
    I wonder how much of my tax money they spent on that completely frivolous, anti-rights, political letter.

This is really a little disturbing when you start putting the puzzle pieces together. Remember at the start of the GA session, the bills that were submitted to allow the instant background check to go straight to the Feds but to pipe additional information to them.

Lori Haas and Goddard praised this letter and initiative from McDonnell which means that they were in favor of the bills even though they were silent for the most part.

This sentence from the Governor's letter sounds like it came right out of the anti's playbook.....

"This system is about saving lives and protecting people from harm....."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast