• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at O'fallon Starbucks 4/29

Tony4310

I was wanting to get an OC gathering going at the O'fallon Starbucks at 4581 Highway K O'Fallon, MO 63366 at 5pm on 4/29 . I was seeing if anyone would be interested in range time prior too!

Oramac

I'd probably be down. Not sure I'll be able to afford range time prior, given my recent move/job switch. What range did you have in mind?

mspgunner

I'm in for Starbucks. Range time varies with family time.

I'm going to post it other places. The "maybe" thing always keeps folks in limbo. I'm going and that is how I'llpass it on other sites.

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Would love to go...but I boycott O'fallon for the smoking ban...

Not a bad position actually. Too few are active within local politics to know and understand the impacts.

For those of you interested in Zeke's position some interesting thoughts that seriously parallel the gun issues.

1. Smoking is NOT illegal.
2. The ban tells property owners that their rights as such are null and void, they may NOT allow smoking within their own property unless they have 0 employees.
3. No one ever said a property owner could not make his own establishment non-smoking if he/she chose to do so, but they are forced to do so under the ban.

Unlike some of the other bans that claim not to have hurt business, a lot of business locations are suffering 30 to 50% losses.

The VA has lost 650 members and outside monies are down 20%.

More than one bar is defining that they are almost ready to close, even after investing in building covered patio's to accommodate they are still seeing huge losses and wait staff are hurting badly as tips have declined with the business decline.

There are a LOT of parallels to the government regulation of the other legal activity, firearms. No matter your personal position on smoking, no one forces you to go to a smoking establishment, if there were indeed enough persons bothered by it, they would make business aware and business would respond to it themselves. Since there was not enough call for it, a few enacted a regulation and it has effected a great many in a negative way and many of those effected were nonsmokers.

It is supposed to be about reduced government and increased freedom, not unlike firearms rights, the government continues to do the opposite. How will O,Fallon handle the increased cost to code enforcement while losing the liquor taxes so many of the impacted business locations used to pay? Damn near a perfect example of what is wrong with the government today really, reduce freedoms for everyone, increase cost, and have no clue how to recover.

I did not have time to fool with it Zeke, but a similar ban is all over St Charles politicians radar, it is one of those doo gooder feel good while doing nothing things that they feel makes em shine.

mspgunner

Wildwood City Council

Tonight I proposed a change to the Wildwood City Council to amend their firearms laws and change the prohibition to open carry. They didn't exactly jump up and down Rah, Rah. I asked for any City Council member to propose the change. I also invited them to coem to Starbucks with us and see for themselves what open carry means.

We'll see if any show up?

Oramac

We'll see if any show up?

Don't hold your breath.

LMTD, you're quite right. I think of all the business owners I've talked to, only one hasn't suffered a loss from the smoking ban. And he was planning on being a non-smoking place regardless.

zekester

LMTD,

I am aware of the St Charles crap that is going on...luckily alot of the council is against it....but we will see.

kylemoul

for the meetup in o' fallon, is there a school within 1000 feet? google maps shows lindenwood, but i doubt lindenwood is in a strip mall.

Oramac

for the meetup in o' fallon, is there a school within 1000 feet? google maps shows lindenwood, but i doubt lindenwood is in a strip mall.

Ya know, it honestly never occurred to me, but there is a Lindenwood satellite campus in the strip mall there. I guess that might change things. Anyone know more than I do about it?

kylemoul

Yes they do. I have an UT and AZ permit so I am not excluded from the GFSZ Act ******** :banghead:

But is/are college campus/(satellite office whatever that is) considered elementry or secondary education?

Oramac

Yes they do. I have an UT and AZ permit so I am not excluded from the GFSZ Act ******** :banghead:

But is/are college campus/(satellite office whatever that is) considered elementry or secondary education?

As I understand it, no they are not. However, neither am I a lawyer. I'd try talking to one before you do anything.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
As I understand it, no they are not. However, neither am I a lawyer. I'd try talking to one before you do anything.

Ditto, the grade/high school thing is clear, but the college/private/public funded/federal loans/ etc debate goes on for ever and ever, just like the anti's want it. They can pretend not to have done it but leave it so vague it requires a court case to be sure.

Myself, college is not a big deal, only grade-high school get my attention, but as Ormac I ain't a lawyer either and I figure it can be argued either way. The best part about the GFSZA is it has been used primarily as an "adder charge" meaning I have yet to cross a case it was used alone, some other law was broken and it just added onto it.

It is also a federal charge, meaning it would not likely be in some muni-cop thought or the prosecutor etc since it would get yanked from them anyway.

each has to make that call themselves or contact an atty.

kylemoul

Elementry part is clear to me...secondary education, well ****, sho knows if that means highschool or college or both.

may not make it on this one guys sorry! maybe next time.

OMG haven't you people read the other thread on here about 1 man OC and was the cause of OC being killed this session and then you all just out and OC some more. How in hell will MO ever get pre-emption if everyone in the state just keeps OC all the time?