Thread: Washington poised to no longer have reciprocity with Florida

Washington poised to no longer have reciprocity with Florida

http://www.ammoland.com/2012/04/20/w...#axzz1smjcSQf9

Because Florida now allows Military Members and Honorably Discharged Veterans under the age of 21 to apply for a Concealed Carry License, the State of Washington is poised to revoke reciprocal recognition of all Concealed Carry Licenses from Florida.Washington has also refused to respect the right of all Texans to bear arms in their state because Texas also will issue Concealed Carry Licenses to our adult troops under 21.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Would seem more logical to simply require them to honor the laws of the state. They already do that in all other instances.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Any FL residents stationed here that would be interested in participating in a lawsuit?
    Live Free or Die!

I for one, will send mail to patty murry and request she support ALL troops, and not punish those who do not live in Washington yet. This is progressive legislation and I support it. Trained troops are trained Citizens.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    I for one, will send mail to patty murry and request she support ALL troops, and not punish those who do not live in Washington yet. This is progressive legislation and I support it. Trained troops are trained Citizens.
    I have sent off an email to my State Legislature

http://www.leg.wa.gov/pages/home.aspx
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Anyone know when this might kick in? My wife's going down to Florida this August, I'd like her to at least have the option of having her gun with her in the hotel.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

This is WA not recognizing FL...not necessarily that FL will retaliate and not still recognize WA.

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    This is WA not recognizing FL...not necessarily that FL will retaliate and not still recognize WA.

Sez right in the article, FL will probably cease to recognize WA if WA doesn't recognize FL...
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

No offense but contacting Patty Murray in this situation will be less than useless. The reciprocity list is managed by the Attorney General's Office and under the current statute (RCW 9.41.073(1)(a)(i)) the AG doesn't have much choice but to remove Florida. That section needs to be amended to allow an exception for licenses issued to active duty military personnel. If that can be accomplished, reciprocity would be restored.
    IAALBIAAFTDPASNIPHCBCALA
    Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out. (John Corapi, The Black Sheep Dog)
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    I think we should push to become a shall accept state for permits from all states.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Get a non-resident FL permit, problem solved.

That being said, yes, I agree, the RCW statute could use some tweaking...

Or amend the law so that licenses held by people age 21 and over are recognized.

I'd rather see constitutional carry, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat View Post

Shooters before hooters.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammo View Post
    No offense but contacting Patty Murray in this situation will be less than useless. The reciprocity list is managed by the Attorney General's Office and under the current statute (RCW 9.41.073(1)(a)(i)) the AG doesn't have much choice but to remove Florida. That section needs to be amended to allow an exception for licenses issued to active duty military personnel. If that can be accomplished, reciprocity would be restored.
    Ugh, while this may be the most political correct and expedient avenue I find it troublesome. Why do we keep exempting special groups of people? Are former military personnel firearms experts? Are they experts in self-defense law?
    However, as a strategy to expand gun rights to those under 21, this may be the best avenue and just a starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I think we should push to become a shall accept state for permits from all states.
    YES!

Quote Originally Posted by .45ACPaddy View Post
    Or amend the law so that licenses held by people age 21 and over are recognized.

I'd rather see constitutional carry, though.
    Yes!
    Live Free or Die!

Well, I am a FL Resident, but because I am stationed here, and have a WA address, i have a WA permit. :/ sorry guy's....

well,,

Quote Originally Posted by Justman1020 View Post
    Well, I am a FL Resident, but because I am stationed here, and have a WA address, i have a WA permit. :/ sorry guy's....
    Anybody can get a washington permit, no matter where you live.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    Sez right in the article, FL will probably cease to recognize WA if WA doesn't recognize FL...
    FL will definitely cease to recognize WA if WA stops recognizing FL. It's automatic under FL law.

What I don't get is why WA (and previously, NM) want to stop recognizing ALL FL permits, rather than just FL permits held by persons under 21 years of age. The latter would be the least disruptive way to satisfy WA/NM law.
    Last edited by randian; 04-25-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    FL will definitely cease to recognize WA if WA stops recognizing FL. It's automatic under FL law.

What I don't get is why WA (and previously, NM) want to stop recognizing ALL FL permits, rather than just FL permits held by persons under 21 years of age. The latter would be the least disruptive way to satisfy WA/NM law.
    I don't believe that the RCW provides that discretion.

RCW 9.41.073

Concealed pistol license — Reciprocity.
    (1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:

(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and

(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.

(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(2) The attorney general shall periodically publish a list of states the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington and which meet the requirements of subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii) of this section.
    Live Free or Die!

Washington 29th District Legislators written to.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement. The faults of a few, reflect badly on many, I therefore do not suggest anyone support WAC. My EDC is either a H&K USP .40 or a Taurus 689 .357 filled with Snake Loads