• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington poised to no longer have reciprocity with Florida

Bill Starks

State Researcher
http://www.ammoland.com/2012/04/20/...ts-due-to-anti-military-policy/#axzz1smjcSQf9

Because Florida now allows Military Members and Honorably Discharged Veterans under the age of 21 to apply for a Concealed Carry License, the State of Washington is poised to revoke reciprocal recognition of all Concealed Carry Licenses from Florida.Washington has also refused to respect the right of all Texans to bear arms in their state because Texas also will issue Concealed Carry Licenses to our adult troops under 21.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Would seem more logical to simply require them to honor the laws of the state. They already do that in all other instances.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I for one, will send mail to patty murry and request she support ALL troops, and not punish those who do not live in Washington yet. This is progressive legislation and I support it. Trained troops are trained Citizens.

Lammo

No offense but contacting Patty Murray in this situation will be less than useless. The reciprocity list is managed by the Attorney General's Office and under the current statute (RCW 9.41.073(1)(a)(i)) the AG doesn't have much choice but to remove Florida. That section needs to be amended to allow an exception for licenses issued to active duty military personnel. If that can be accomplished, reciprocity would be restored.

.45ACPaddy

Or amend the law so that licenses held by people age 21 and over are recognized.

I'd rather see constitutional carry, though.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
No offense but contacting Patty Murray in this situation will be less than useless. The reciprocity list is managed by the Attorney General's Office and under the current statute (RCW 9.41.073(1)(a)(i)) the AG doesn't have much choice but to remove Florida. That section needs to be amended to allow an exception for licenses issued to active duty military personnel. If that can be accomplished, reciprocity would be restored.

Ugh, while this may be the most political correct and expedient avenue I find it troublesome. Why do we keep exempting special groups of people? Are former military personnel firearms experts? Are they experts in self-defense law?
However, as a strategy to expand gun rights to those under 21, this may be the best avenue and just a starting point.

I think we should push to become a shall accept state for permits from all states.

YES!

Or amend the law so that licenses held by people age 21 and over are recognized.

I'd rather see constitutional carry, though.

Yes!

Justman1020

Well, I am a FL Resident, but because I am stationed here, and have a WA address, i have a WA permit. :/ sorry guy's....

randian

Sez right in the article, FL will probably cease to recognize WA if WA doesn't recognize FL...
FL will definitely cease to recognize WA if WA stops recognizing FL. It's automatic under FL law.

What I don't get is why WA (and previously, NM) want to stop recognizing ALL FL permits, rather than just FL permits held by persons under 21 years of age. The latter would be the least disruptive way to satisfy WA/NM law.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
FL will definitely cease to recognize WA if WA stops recognizing FL. It's automatic under FL law.

What I don't get is why WA (and previously, NM) want to stop recognizing ALL FL permits, rather than just FL permits held by persons under 21 years of age. The latter would be the least disruptive way to satisfy WA/NM law.

I don't believe that the RCW provides that discretion.

[h=2]RCW 9.41.073[/h][h=1]Concealed pistol license — Reciprocity.[/h]
(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:

(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and

(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.

(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(2) The attorney general shall periodically publish a list of states the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington and which meet the requirements of subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii) of this section.