Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Another lovely day at the Paducah Park

  1. #1
    Regular Member CharleyCherokee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    WesternKy
    Posts
    294

    Angry Another lovely day at the Paducah Park

    My wife, my son, and I went to the park today to enjoy some of this lovely weather we've been having. I am of course open carrying. Shortly after our arrival a young "gentleman", if you could call him that, said,
    "What's the matter, man? Afraid one of these kids is going to rob you?" To which I replied, "No, but you might. Besides that dogs attack people or some other such threat." He continued his jabber and I just told him to shut up. Shortly after that a woman who happened to be with that gentleman made some comment about me covering it up. I told her that I couldn't do that because it would be illegal. She "informed" me that no it wouldn't be. And I told her yeah it would, because I don't have a conceal carry permit. She then "informed" me I shouldn't be carrying then. She was worried that her kids would see the gun and they didn't need to see that since they had just lost their father in a motorcycle accident. Anyway, they went to the other side of the playground and one of them called the cops. So two cops approach me and ask if they can talk to me for a moment. I said sure, but I'm playing with my boy so you'll have to follow along. Seems they didn't want to talk to me so much as question me. They asked for my id and all that good stuff to which I refused to provide. So after I wouldn't give them my name one of the officers starts pestering my wife for my name. After much refusing they called for backup. So now a third cop comes up and starts his lines. He asked me if I saw the sign on the way in that said no weapons allowed. I told him I did, but I didn't give a damn about that sign, because it was unenforceable. After some back and forth with this third cop TWO more show up and I am now surrounded by 5 cops. The third cop goes on and on about how I can be barred from the park if I don't go put my weapon away. I told him I wasn't going to put the weapon away and they can just go ahead and try to bar me if they want. After not too much more of this I just told my wife that we were leaving, but not before my son got to slide down the slide on the side of the park that ******* was on. He said something to the cop about if he doesn't get away from my kids he's going to be in some trouble. Threatening me harm and other such, but instead of circling him they circle the guy trying to enjoy time with his family until they become such a bother that I am practically forced to leave. I had not had trouble for a while so I left the recorder at home. The best lessons learned are the ones paid for, and I will never leave without a recorder alongside my firearm.

    I'm really getting tired of this crap so I'm calling the park manager tomorrow and telling him to take down that sign (again) and then I will be filing a complaint against George Johnson and will probably have to have another go at the city council.
    A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed to whom it may concern.
    Why open carrying is a good idea: http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...encounter.html

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central KY
    Posts
    917
    That sucks man. Let us know how your follow goes. Let us know if we can contact some one, as well.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Gravel Switch, KY
    Posts
    544
    Sounds like an open carry picnic is in order.

    Im sure you could post up in the Illinois forum and invite some Southen Illinois folk down to open carry in Kentucky.

  4. #4
    Regular Member KRM59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    256

    Oh good God

    flb my brother from another mother..... sound to me you was not being a good comrad..haha show me your paper comrad. the picnic sounds like a good idea.
    "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
    - George Mason

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    --
    Posts
    88
    Why on earth would you testify against yourself?

    Is it really so hard to say this: "Sir, with all do respect, I do not consent to this encounter, am I free to go?" and then SHUT THE HELL UP. Why say "oh why yes officer, I did see that sign, but I decided to not obey.." and stuff like that fueling their power trip..

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Gravel Switch, KY
    Posts
    544
    If you were familiar with Charley's plight in Paducah, you would know that he was gone before the city council and spoke with any and everyone about the unenforceable signs. He wasn't testifying against himself since there were no laws being broken.

  7. #7
    Regular Member HandyHamlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Terra, Sol
    Posts
    2,779
    Quote Originally Posted by CharleyCherokee View Post
    I had not had trouble for a while so I left the recorder at home. The best lessons learned are the ones paid for, and I will never leave without a recorder alongside my firearm.
    ...
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

    "Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

  8. #8
    Regular Member CharleyCherokee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    WesternKy
    Posts
    294
    I'm all for a picnic. How does Sunday, May, 6 sound to everyone? I was going to suggest the 13th, but my wife informed me that that is Mother's Day.
    A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed to whom it may concern.
    Why open carrying is a good idea: http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...encounter.html

  9. #9
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    These people never seem to disappoint, I mean how does a firearm and a motorcycle have any relevance to one another whatsoever? I can only imagine your disgust with this city and their ignorant law enforcement "authorities." All of this harassment will just make a victory in court so much better, if you are planning on forcing them to remove these signs? Good for you for having the patience to deal with these people in a professional manner, and I commend you for standing for your rights and not submitting to their demands.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

  10. #10
    Regular Member sawah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    437
    If you've been going to the park a lot unmolested, why not just leave and come back later? Part of the 'avoid three S' rule is leaving a stupid situation, you know.
    A firearm is a tool of convenience, not effectiveness - Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    127
    I guess you will be able to file an action in court to have the signs removed.

  12. #12
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Quote Originally Posted by sawah View Post
    If you've been going to the park a lot unmolested, why not just leave and come back later? Part of the 'avoid three S' rule is leaving a stupid situation, you know.
    Why would he leave a PUBLIC park because someone does not like his firearm? He has every right to be there armed or not, and I too would have refused to leave simply because some woman asked. He pays his taxes just like she does, and was doing nothing wrong. If she did not like it, she could have either removed herself entirely, dealt with it, or moved to a different part of the park. She had NO business asking him to leave because it is a PUBLIC park, and she should not have said anything to him, because it is not her business if he carries a firearm or not. I will not surrender my rights simply because someone has a problem with that right. The reason many states are just now starting to regain their firearm rights is because they allowed people who did not like those rights to take them from them, and I will not have any of that nonsense.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Comm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nicholasville, KY
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    Why would he leave a PUBLIC park because someone does not like his firearm? He has every right to be there armed or not, and I too would have refused to leave simply because some woman asked. He pays his taxes just like she does, and was doing nothing wrong. If she did not like it, she could have either removed herself entirely, dealt with it, or moved to a different part of the park. She had NO business asking him to leave because it is a PUBLIC park, and she should not have said anything to him, because it is not her business if he carries a firearm or not. I will not surrender my rights simply because someone has a problem with that right. The reason many states are just now starting to regain their firearm rights is because they allowed people who did not like those rights to take them from them, and I will not have any of that nonsense.
    +1

  14. #14
    Regular Member CharleyCherokee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    WesternKy
    Posts
    294
    I did wind up leaving and coming back, but only because I was surrounded by 5 cops who would not leave me alone until I submitted to their demands. And the one cop was insisting I could be banned from the park for having the firearm. They spent a good deal of time looking for that ordnance, but I guess they didn't catch the news almost a YEAR ago that it had been repealed because it was unenforceable. I appreciate the support here. So thanks for that, guys and gals.
    A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed to whom it may concern.
    Why open carrying is a good idea: http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...encounter.html

  15. #15
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Of course you would find support. You were in the right and doing something that we all find agreeable. I would be up for picnic in Paducah if a whole state didn't separate our locations.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  16. #16
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    5 cops??? Sounds like nothing more than an attempted show of force...I commend you for standing your ground. And if you figure out what a motorcycle crash and you OCing have to do with each other please let us know....
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  17. #17
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    5 cops??? Sounds like nothing more than an attempted show of force...I commend you for standing your ground. And if you figure out what a motorcycle crash and you OCing have to do with each other please let us know....
    Are you serious? Obviously he was attempting a drive-by on the back of a motorcycle when the driver was fatally shot. He managed to regain control of the motorcycle just in time to veer out of the way of an on coming semi truck. Only to jump the embankment and embed the motorbike and himself into the side of a hill. Having a weapon in your hand and having one properly holstered in plain view is similar in many ways.

    The woman OP referred to clearly did not want her kids to follow their (maybe) father's footsteps. She would prefer them to go into stealing heat pump cores like her current "baby's daddy" (Did I use that "hip" language correctly) does.

    Said in all jest, but part(s) of it may be true.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  18. #18
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    Are you serious? Obviously he was attempting a drive-by on the back of a motorcycle when the driver was fatally shot. He managed to regain control of the motorcycle just in time to veer out of the way of an on coming semi truck. Only to jump the embankment and embed the motorbike and himself into the side of a hill. Having a weapon in your hand and having one properly holstered in plain view is similar in many ways.

    The woman OP referred to clearly did not want her kids to follow their (maybe) father's footsteps. She would prefer them to go into stealing heat pump cores like her current "baby's daddy" (Did I use that "hip" language correctly) does.

    Said in all jest, but part(s) of it may be true.
    Ohhh...Now it all makes sense. I can see her concern now. And the whole time I thought she was just some scum bag idiot on the goverment draw that didnt know/understand/care about our rights...Love her heart.. That mean man playing with his kid in the park with his wife had that big ole scarry gun on and we all know that when you OC you cause motorcycle wrecks. Doesnt anyone watch Mythbusters???? And I think you used that hip language just fine...
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •