• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another lovely day at the Paducah Park

CharleyCherokee

My wife, my son, and I went to the park today to enjoy some of this lovely weather we've been having. I am of course open carrying. Shortly after our arrival a young "gentleman", if you could call him that, said,
"What's the matter, man? Afraid one of these kids is going to rob you?" To which I replied, "No, but you might. Besides that dogs attack people or some other such threat." He continued his jabber and I just told him to shut up. Shortly after that a woman who happened to be with that gentleman made some comment about me covering it up. I told her that I couldn't do that because it would be illegal. She "informed" me that no it wouldn't be. And I told her yeah it would, because I don't have a conceal carry permit. She then "informed" me I shouldn't be carrying then. She was worried that her kids would see the gun and they didn't need to see that since they had just lost their father in a motorcycle accident. Anyway, they went to the other side of the playground and one of them called the cops. So two cops approach me and ask if they can talk to me for a moment. I said sure, but I'm playing with my boy so you'll have to follow along. Seems they didn't want to talk to me so much as question me. They asked for my id and all that good stuff to which I refused to provide. So after I wouldn't give them my name one of the officers starts pestering my wife for my name. After much refusing they called for backup. So now a third cop comes up and starts his lines. He asked me if I saw the sign on the way in that said no weapons allowed. I told him I did, but I didn't give a damn about that sign, because it was unenforceable. After some back and forth with this third cop TWO more show up and I am now surrounded by 5 cops. The third cop goes on and on about how I can be barred from the park if I don't go put my weapon away. I told him I wasn't going to put the weapon away and they can just go ahead and try to bar me if they want. After not too much more of this I just told my wife that we were leaving, but not before my son got to slide down the slide on the side of the park that jackass was on. He said something to the cop about if he doesn't get away from my kids he's going to be in some trouble. Threatening me harm and other such, but instead of circling him they circle the guy trying to enjoy time with his family until they become such a bother that I am practically forced to leave. I had not had trouble for a while so I left the recorder at home. The best lessons learned are the ones paid for, and I will never leave without a recorder alongside my firearm.

I'm really getting tired of this crap so I'm calling the park manager tomorrow and telling him to take down that sign (again) and then I will be filing a complaint against George Johnson and will probably have to have another go at the city council.

flb_78

Sounds like an open carry picnic is in order. :D

Im sure you could post up in the Illinois forum and invite some Southen Illinois folk down to open carry in Kentucky.

KRM59

Oh good God

flb my brother from another mother..... sound to me you was not being a good comrad..haha show me your paper comrad. the picnic sounds like a good idea.

hazek

Why on earth would you testify against yourself?

Is it really so hard to say this: "Sir, with all do respect, I do not consent to this encounter, am I free to go?" and then SHUT THE HELL UP. Why say "oh why yes officer, I did see that sign, but I decided to not obey.." and stuff like that fueling their power trip.. :banghead:

flb_78

If you were familiar with Charley's plight in Paducah, you would know that he was gone before the city council and spoke with any and everyone about the unenforceable signs. He wasn't testifying against himself since there were no laws being broken.

CharleyCherokee

I'm all for a picnic. How does Sunday, May, 6 sound to everyone? I was going to suggest the 13th, but my wife informed me that that is Mother's Day.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
These people never seem to disappoint, I mean how does a firearm and a motorcycle have any relevance to one another whatsoever? I can only imagine your disgust with this city and their ignorant law enforcement "authorities." All of this harassment will just make a victory in court so much better, if you are planning on forcing them to remove these signs? Good for you for having the patience to deal with these people in a professional manner, and I commend you for standing for your rights and not submitting to their demands.

sawah

If you've been going to the park a lot unmolested, why not just leave and come back later? Part of the 'avoid three S' rule is leaving a stupid situation, you know. :)

garyh9900

I guess you will be able to file an action in court to have the signs removed.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
If you've been going to the park a lot unmolested, why not just leave and come back later? Part of the 'avoid three S' rule is leaving a stupid situation, you know. :)

Why would he leave a PUBLIC park because someone does not like his firearm? He has every right to be there armed or not, and I too would have refused to leave simply because some woman asked. He pays his taxes just like she does, and was doing nothing wrong. If she did not like it, she could have either removed herself entirely, dealt with it, or moved to a different part of the park. She had NO business asking him to leave because it is a PUBLIC park, and she should not have said anything to him, because it is not her business if he carries a firearm or not. I will not surrender my rights simply because someone has a problem with that right. The reason many states are just now starting to regain their firearm rights is because they allowed people who did not like those rights to take them from them, and I will not have any of that nonsense.

Comm

Why would he leave a PUBLIC park because someone does not like his firearm? He has every right to be there armed or not, and I too would have refused to leave simply because some woman asked. He pays his taxes just like she does, and was doing nothing wrong. If she did not like it, she could have either removed herself entirely, dealt with it, or moved to a different part of the park. She had NO business asking him to leave because it is a PUBLIC park, and she should not have said anything to him, because it is not her business if he carries a firearm or not. I will not surrender my rights simply because someone has a problem with that right. The reason many states are just now starting to regain their firearm rights is because they allowed people who did not like those rights to take them from them, and I will not have any of that nonsense.

+1

CharleyCherokee

I did wind up leaving and coming back, but only because I was surrounded by 5 cops who would not leave me alone until I submitted to their demands. And the one cop was insisting I could be banned from the park for having the firearm. They spent a good deal of time looking for that ordnance, but I guess they didn't catch the news almost a YEAR ago that it had been repealed because it was unenforceable. I appreciate the support here. So thanks for that, guys and gals.

09jisaac

Of course you would find support. You were in the right and doing something that we all find agreeable. I would be up for picnic in Paducah if a whole state didn't separate our locations.

self preservation

5 cops??? Sounds like nothing more than an attempted show of force...I commend you for standing your ground. And if you figure out what a motorcycle crash and you OCing have to do with each other please let us know....

09jisaac

5 cops??? Sounds like nothing more than an attempted show of force...I commend you for standing your ground. And if you figure out what a motorcycle crash and you OCing have to do with each other please let us know....

Are you serious? Obviously he was attempting a drive-by on the back of a motorcycle when the driver was fatally shot. He managed to regain control of the motorcycle just in time to veer out of the way of an on coming semi truck. Only to jump the embankment and embed the motorbike and himself into the side of a hill. Having a weapon in your hand and having one properly holstered in plain view is similar in many ways.

The woman OP referred to clearly did not want her kids to follow their (maybe) father's footsteps. She would prefer them to go into stealing heat pump cores like her current "baby's daddy" (Did I use that "hip" language correctly) does.

Said in all jest, but part(s) of it may be true.

self preservation

Are you serious? Obviously he was attempting a drive-by on the back of a motorcycle when the driver was fatally shot. He managed to regain control of the motorcycle just in time to veer out of the way of an on coming semi truck. Only to jump the embankment and embed the motorbike and himself into the side of a hill. Having a weapon in your hand and having one properly holstered in plain view is similar in many ways.

The woman OP referred to clearly did not want her kids to follow their (maybe) father's footsteps. She would prefer them to go into stealing heat pump cores like her current "baby's daddy" (Did I use that "hip" language correctly) does.

Said in all jest, but part(s) of it may be true.

Ohhh...Now it all makes sense. I can see her concern now. And the whole time I thought she was just some scum bag idiot on the goverment draw that didnt know/understand/care about our rights...Love her heart.. That mean man playing with his kid in the park with his wife had that big ole scarry gun on and we all know that when you OC you cause motorcycle wrecks. Doesnt anyone watch Mythbusters???? And I think you used that hip language just fine...