• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger P89 DC or Taurus 709 Slim

poorfella

I am looking at a couple guns that are both priced about the same, Ruger P89 DC-$350.00 or a Taurus 709 Slim-$325.00. Have not bought a Revolver in awhile so was wondering which would be best one for the price? Looks like Ruger is heavier than the Taurus which would most likely be harder to conceal carry. But since i dont conceal carry very often then that might not be an issue. Just wanted some opinions on these guns such as which is better etc? I had a Jennings 9mm but traded it and now i want another revolver but want something better than the Jennings i had.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I am looking at a couple guns that are both priced about the same, Ruger P89 DC-$350.00 or a Taurus 709 Slim-$325.00. Have not bought a Revolver in awhile so was wondering which would be best one for the price? Looks like Ruger is heavier than the Taurus which would most likely be harder to conceal carry. But since i dont conceal carry very often then that might not be an issue. Just wanted some opinions on these guns such as which is better etc? I had a Jennings 9mm but traded it and now i want another revolver but want something better than the Jennings i had.

Going to be pretty hard offering any advice on which revolver would be better, since both of these are semi-auto pistols. Further, what does weight have to do with concealability?

Seems that an apple and an orange are being compared here. The Ruger P89 is a full size 32 oz gun, while the Taurus 709 is a compact weighing 19 oz.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Why are you interested in these two PISTOLS? As Grape noted, the two choices you mentioned are vastly different guns. What are your parameters for a carry gun?

poorfella

These are just 2 guns i know of for sale local. Just found out the Taurus has been sold. I just want good 9mm semi-automatic. Not sure if the Ruger is worth $350.00? I want something that is going to work when i want it to. Seen a High Point 9mm for under $100.00 awhile back but think its in the same class as the Jennings and want something a little better with out spending a lot. I think $250.00 is just about tops i can spend. Maybe i should should have said size instead of weight.

Last edited:

DangerClose

Ruger P95 is around $285-$325 brand-new and depending on local vs. internet order. Internet order would have an FFL fee.
Around that price is also the S&W Sigma which people will complain of the heavy trigger but generally not much else.
Around $365 is the Sig P250 and 2022. Note: they only come with one mag, so that needs to be factored in.
There's also the Keltec PF9 and P11 around that $250 area. Again, one mag.

Just a few off the top of my head.

Hi-Points are good, and there are videos on Youtube showing they are near-indestructible. The .40 and .45 are big. The 9mm is decent-sized. It's basically the size of a double-stack 9mm but is only a single stack. They have a lifetime warranty even used and are around $140-$160. Hard to go too wrong unless it's for concealed carry or you want more capacity or are just too cool to shoot something not as pretty as other guns, etc.

Last edited:

poorfella

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like the used Ruger P89 at $350.00 is somewhat over priced. Looks is not that important however would like to be able to conceal carry if i wanted to. I will take another look at the High Point. The Taurus 709 looks like it would be good for conceal carry. I basically just want a good shooting gun that will not jam when i need to shoot it.

tcmech

I own a pt709 and a ruger p89. The taurus is much more accurate than the ruger, carries less than half as many rounds, and is much less reliable than the ruger. For simple reliability the ruger is the way to go.

j4l

I own a pt709 and a ruger p89. The taurus is much more accurate than the ruger, carries less than half as many rounds, and is much less reliable than the ruger. For simple reliability the ruger is the way to go.

Nonesense, the Taurus would be fine-both are decent pistols.
But, since the OP is limiting/handicapping himself to 9mm, why even spend the $$ on the pistol? Just get the ammo and throw it at a bad guy, if needed. You'll achieve roughly the same effect, anyway.. :rolleyes:

robert1970

Ruger or Taurus

I have owned both Ruger and taurus double action revolvers.I personally like them both,my current cc gun at the moment is a taurus concelled hammer 357 magnum with a 2 inch barrel.

Butch00

I have a p-85, P-89DC, P-91, and a P-94. I have shot them alot.
Never had any kind of jam.
P-85 and P-89 will do 2" groups at 25 yd off a sandbag.
I have never had a bad shooting Ruger.

hjmoosejaw

I have two handguns, a Sig P226 and a Hi Point 45. I have seen a lot of videos on Youtube that show people very happy with their Hi Points. If they work for them, Great! From MY experience, mine jams on me over and over again, no matter what I do with it. Cleaned it, tried different ammos, whatever. I bought the Hi Point first, then the Sig (which has never had a hiccup). I don't even buy ammo for the Hi Point anymore. If you have one that works for you, great! I might have just got a dud.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have two handguns, a Sig P226 and a Hi Point 45. I have seen a lot of videos on Youtube that show people very happy with their Hi Points. If they work for them, Great! From MY experience, mine jams on me over and over again, no matter what I do with it. Cleaned it, tried different ammos, whatever. I bought the Hi Point first, then the Sig (which has never had a hiccup). I don't even buy ammo for the Hi Point anymore. If you have one that works for you, great! I might have just got a dud.
The Hi-Point Warranty
All Hi-Point firearms carry a lifetime, "no-questions asked warranty." Whether you are the original purchaser, or the third-hand owner, your Hi-Point firearm will be repaired free of charge.
http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/

WalkingWolf

Just me, but if it jams reliably more than reliable I wouldn't trust my life on it. No matter what the warranty is. Maybe give them a chance to fix it once then I would get rid of it. Problem with that is I would not feel good about passing a unreliable gun to someone else.

kywildcat581

These are just 2 guns i know of for sale local. Just found out the Taurus has been sold. I just want good 9mm semi-automatic. Not sure if the Ruger is worth $350.00? I want something that is going to work when i want it to. Seen a High Point 9mm for under $100.00 awhile back but think its in the same class as the Jennings and want something a little better with out spending a lot. I think $250.00 is just about tops i can spend. Maybe i should should have said size instead of weight.

I would in no way consider a hi-point firearm in the "same" class as a Jennings. As previously stated they offer a lifetime warranty no questions asked. I owned a Hi-Point C9 for about a year and a half, I got rid of it only due to wanting a higher magazine capacity and buying the SIGMA. I had the Hi-Point laying around the house for a while and my mother had a close call with a BG, someone tried to get into her house so it went to her and her husband. The gun was great, occasionally jammed but I found ut the spread on the top of the magazine was the culprit and that problem was solved.

I owned a Jennings 9 when I was new and didn't know any better, that thing would make a better blunt force weapon if you could get a good pistol whip in than it would a firearm. They are both low price solutions to defense, but the Hi-Point trumps Jennings in my opinion.

Want a decent priced solution, look at the two you are looking into, and check out the SIGMA series Smith and Wesson. Nice price and a VERY safe and reliable handgun. I love my SIGMA, feels nice in the hands and has a nice look to it. Only setback is the trigger pull is long like a revolver, and hard, but it has internal safety features that make up for the lack of external safety on the weapon. 2 part trigger is the only external though.

Good Luck in your shopping!

ickthus

The Ruger P89 is worth $350 NIB. It is a fine, reliable and accurate platform. My brother in-law has the P-series in .45 and a good friend in 9mm and i have shot both more than a few times. Hi points and sigma are better that a rock and fine for shooting at cans or anything not moving or trying to kill you. lol sorry I have 40+ years in firearms and know the goods when i see them. Just because it goes bang does not make it a self defense gun but just a gun. A Yogo is a car but lets see you use it in a self defense situation or defensive driving, heavy weather... but it beats walking.

sraacke

My daily carry gun is a Ruger P89DC I bought in Killen, TX after I got back to Ft Hood from Desert Storm. I've carried it as a duty weapon when I was a Aux with my local Marshals Office. I've competed in USPSA matches and it was what I used in April when I attended a Combative Pistol class taught by Tom Givens (approx 1K rounds over 2 days). I have lost count of the thousands of rounds it's had run through it.
I have NEVER had a single weapon caused malfunction. It shoots today like the first time it went to the range.

Last edited:

hjmoosejaw

The Hi-Point Warranty
All Hi-Point firearms carry a lifetime, "no-questions asked warranty." Whether you are the original purchaser, or the third-hand owner, your Hi-Point firearm will be repaired free of charge.
http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/

Your'e right, I guess I've had it sitting around long enough, I forgot about the warranty. I'll have to send it back, give it another chance. Then keep it or sell it. It's better than just watching it gather dust.

bigun220

I have owned a Ruger P89 for over two years. It is plenty accurate and has never jammed. The P89 is a bit heavy but can be concealed with an unbuttoned shirt.