• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC, not to CC and new to the forum

DoubleJ

I've CC'd for years here in Washington. Everywhere except work, since they won't allow it. As soon as I get home, on my hip goes my Glock until bed. On the weekends, It goes on as soon as I get dressed. Been like this for years. When hunting or at home I OC. Anytime I leave the house, I cover it. Don't know why, just have always done it that way. Guess I never really cared for the attention I might get. Reading through these threads though, sounds like I'd be getting a lot less looks than I thought. This summer seems to be the perfect time to start. I always hated CC in summer for obvious reasons but, this summer, I'll be free!!!

Thanks for the forum guys.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO. You will not be invisible, but it will seem that way most of the time. The more of us the public sees, acting like "jus plain folks", the easier it gets.

Metalhead47

Welcome welcome!

In my experience, 90% of people you will encounter simply don't notice. OF those that do, 90% don't care, and of those who will make contact, most encounters are friendly. Alot will depend on how & what you carry too. A black Glock in a black holster while wearing dark jeans will draw less attention than great big AR pistol in a drop-leg rig ;). Make a point to KNOW (not just "know") the laws, there really aren't that many, expect​ encounters, and then you'll be surprised when you don't have any.

DoubleJ

99.99999999% of the time it's a black Glock 19 in a brown leather holster on blue jeans and varying colored tucked in t-shirts. I carry on my kidney so you can't see from the front anyway. I carry like this all the time. Only difference is when I am CC, I have a second shirt or jacket over the gun.

I do need a new holster. This one was a generic Uncle Mikes I bought 12 years ago. It's a little loose but does what it needs to right now. I've been holding off on a new holster because I want a new gun too :lol: Who knows when that'll happen though.

I did see the Kitsap County guys talking about brochures they have and hand out. Where can a guy get a hold of one of those?

And I read a few CO store threads but one store I am at weekly is Winco in Lacey. I haven't seen a report from there. Anyone with info?

golddigger14s

Activist Member
For brochures see the sticky: Washington Gun Rights Pamphlet. Winco, I go at least once a week no problem. I live about two blocks away, if you ever want a co-OCer to tag along let me know. I have Sun and Mon off, myself and some others will be at some of the classes at Cabelas next weekend. I will have lunch about noon at the grill, and go to the one and two pm classes on Sunday.

AlexMayhem

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on finding it before you started OCing, I had the displeasure of finding the forum after many bad encounters with law enforcement. I had been stopped, disarmed, questioned, handcuffed . . . I know better now because our brothers in arms on this site have educated me proper. I'd recommend studying up on your rights and the Washington state laws protecting them - that state brochure covers the major bases. Read up on how to handle any LEO encounters you may have too - that badge is not always there to serve and protect you.

Vitaeus

Check the sticky thread for a link to the .pdf for the pamphlets, thanks for the reminder I need to call the Port Orchard PAO and see about a table for their Safe Night Out.

skiingislife725

Welcome to the forum! Don't want to repeat what good points everyone else has said, but one thing you said did catch my eye. The mention of the old worn holster reminded me of this article, http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/f...her-holsters-can-cause-accidental-discharges/ Hopefully yours isn't THAT worn, but figured it'd be a good article to pass on just in case. Stay safe and have fun OCing...it's hard to go back, so damn uncomfortable once you don't do it everyday. AND no one notices 99% of the time...even after you talk to them for a half hour on multiple occasions (it's happened a number of times...and then eventually they suddenly realize you're carrying). That fact always makes me chuckle because it makes me think about when I'd get so worried about printing back when I CCed.

DCKilla

Welcome, it's always good to have new folks who are willing stand for their basic rights. Carry smartly and know the law, you'll do fine.

WOD

Welcome to OCDO, I've been OC'ing since January, well... attempting to OC, it's hard to really OC in wet cold rainy Western WA! For the most part, it's not noticed. The biggest thing for me was, getting my own head right, since I hadn't carried for years at all. Now, it's like putting my wallet in my pants pocket type of thing. I carry at home, doing yard work, grocery shopping, whatever. Last weekend was the first time a Safeway cashier even mentioned it, although several have noticed it.