• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ccdw

Hurley99

Im getting ready to take my class for my ccdw. Question is that i have a glock 30 but would rather shoot my old 22 six shooter and the problem is that its a old gun. Works great but afraid they will tell me i cant shoot it. What do you guys think? Try with the 22 or just bring the glock 30? The glock is new to me and have only shot 50 rounds with itbut not sure if i could pass the test. I have a weeks time before i go in for my class. Thanks for the feed back!

09jisaac

You'll pass the shooting portion of the test as long as you try to point the front sight at the target. You are shooting at a FULL SIZED target at 7 yards. You could pass the test blind folded as long as you were pointed towards the target.

It doesn't really matter what you shoot. I would probably shoot the Glock if I was you, just because I like shooting knew guns. Or the .22 as you are already paying a good price to take the class, don't want to spend too much on ammo to shoot during it. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
The glock. You will have to reload 3 or 4 times with the .22 depending on cylinder capacity. And, if your revolver is old as in "single action old," it would take forever to reload. You want to get through it as quick as possible because people will be waiting. As far as hitting the target 11 out of 20 times, a monkey could do it, very simple.

Comm

Along with shooting it, you will also have to show you can disassemble and clean your Glock. So if your not sure about taking it apart, then you might want the .22. Really doesn't matter, you will have plenty of time and I'm sure others will help.

Hurley99

Along with shooting it, you will also have to show you can disassemble and clean your Glock. So if your not sure about taking it apart, then you might want the .22. Really doesn't matter, you will have plenty of time and I'm sure others will help.

I know how to field strip it so i think ill be going with the glock. Already have rounds and dont wanna waste peoples time. Thanks for the feed back!

rob31567

Ill be taking my course this Saturday at Borders in Ashland. The instructor told me that hes been doing this a long time and he cant remember when the last time anybody didnt pass the shooting part. Youll be fine with the Glock. Good luck bro.....

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Beware of borders instructors, they tend to give inaccurate advice. If they venture beyond what is in the book, take what they say with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

rob31567

Thanks for the heads up on that. Spoke with the guy that gives the class and he explained some things that was out of the ordinary. Right there told me to watch and really listen to see what was different in the course than whats in the state law. Glad I was already thinking on those lines........

boomer92266

Beware of borders instructors, they tend to give inaccurate advice. If they venture beyond what is in the book, take what they say with a grain of salt.

the police chief in tompkinsville who in monroe county give's the course here and gave at least one bit of advice that was wrong to my brother who took the course a few months ago. my brother came to visit right after the course and told me i better make sure the gun i keep in the console was unloaded, he said that he was told without a permit you can keep your gun in a compartment installed the manufacturer but it had to be unloaded or it would be confiscated and you would be sited for having a loaded gun in a vehicle without permit. i turned on my computer and came to open carry and showed him the ky. gun laws he was speechless, he didn't say any more about which laws but did say several things were told to him that wasn't true according to what he just read. thanks

09jisaac

According to the video if you are stopped you HAVE to inform the police that you are in possession of a deadly weapon. This was left unsupported by any federal or state law. I have reasons to believe that this is false.

Borders seemed content in allowing those who needed help to field strip their gun to receive help and the ones who didn't to continue unmolested. I was appreciative of this because I didn't feel I needed someone to teach me something I already know. The M&Ps (most polymer pistols) are super easy to strip. I thought the class was too basic but I realized that this was necessary because plenty of people were taking the class with their first handgun, which was new or new to them.

I like dealing with Borders though. I purchased a handgun there today and Eugene took $50 right off the top of the gun and 10% off of everything else (holster and ammo).

This is why I like dealing with them, because that money would have went directly into his pocket if he would have charged it to me. I already told him I was going to buy the gun before he gave me the discount (I feel that I owe him for previous discounts).

KYGlockster

Activist Member
The discounts keep getting better with every firearm you purchase. One of my last purchases was the sig 226 navy model, and I got it for around $750, which was a steal. I sold it back to them last week because I did not like it at all once I shot it, and they gave me nearly what I paid for it. Borders is a good place to do business if you do business with them often. As for concealed carry classes, that is a different story, and I would recommend AA firearms in Grayson for the class. The owner teaches the class, and was spot on with all relevant firearm information.

tlwheatley

I teach the class and have always been told by the state to teach what is in the book, anything else liability becomes the intructor's problem. As far as what gun to use, general rule of thumb is if the instructor can't break it down and inspect it he should not let you use it.

kywildcat581

Ill be taking my course this Saturday at Borders in Ashland. The instructor told me that hes been doing this a long time and he cant remember when the last time anybody didnt pass the shooting part. Youll be fine with the Glock. Good luck bro.....

My range portion of my CCDW 2 years ago had 2 or 3 people that had to retake the range firing test, one person retook it twice.... i was like.. for the love of god please correct the problem, or dont issue the license. Those missed bullets are innocent people being shot!