• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New guy here

the_ocho

A friendly hello to everyone, this is my first post here. I have recently decided that I want to start to OC and I have been researching a lot. I have lived here for a little over a year and have got real sick on not having a weapon in my home, kinda figured I have it why not carry it. It wont be an everyday thing as I cant take a weapon to work with me and I rarely leave my home on work days other than to go to work. so mainly when I'm out and about on the weekends and what not. The thing is I live in North Las Vegas (which I understand to be gun unfriendly correct me if I'm wrong) and I can't really find a definite answer on the status of the whole deadly weapon prohibited in vehicles thing. How does this affect me in having a OC weapon in or out of a vehicle. Its "illegal" to have it in my truck but if I pull it off my hip and when I get pulled over say I'm going to the shooting range its magically legal because then it would be for recreation and not personal safety?

Please shed some light on this for me any info will be greatly appreciated. I just want to be as informed as I can be.

Thank you
Alex

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
You are legal by state law. This does not mean NLV's notorious police will not hassle you about it. If they don't like the way you look at the same time, they may even arrest and charge you for it. Since the NLV court is of non-record, you cannot use state law to win. You are guaranteed to win the appeal, however, and it will be at this point that they will drop the charges to keep from getting reamed by the State.

Now, that said, I grew up in NLV. I did not open carry or have a weapon visible in my vehicle, but we always had guns with us. We never needed our stories because we were never pulled over except for minor traffic stuff on occasion and that is all we discussed with the officer.

Many of us have open carried in NLV, but I have only done so at my destinations and en route; I've never had to test a police officer's opinion on the matter.

john-in-reno

Currently, like it or not that seems to be the only way to legally have your gun in your car AND ready to use if needed.

I believe we have discussed this in another thread.

Where in the NRS does it say that??

added: OOOps, I just realized you were talking about the communist section of Las Vegas

Last edited:

the_ocho

Thanks for the replies everyone, I just wanted to make sure everything I have been reading is still true. I don't have a NV CC but that seems like the best way to go. Some guys at work were telling me to just go get the AZ cc permit since all I needed was my finger prints, DD214, and the money or so he said. Honestly with a matter this sensitive I wouldn't want to risk running into issues with that. I'm active duty military with my home of record as Texas and a California drivers license(tho it has my NV address on it), any of this a problem going through the application process here?

Thanks again everyone
Alex

DooFstersGirl

It shouldn't be a problem to get your CCW here because you can show yours orders which state that you are stationed here and for how long. My husband is active duty here at Nellis and we are going to get our CCW permits as well. There are a lot of places that offer free classes and then you just pay the fees and go through the application junk.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Thanks for the replies everyone, I just wanted to make sure everything I have been reading is still true. I don't have a NV CC but that seems like the best way to go. Some guys at work were telling me to just go get the AZ cc permit since all I needed was my finger prints, DD214, and the money or so he said. Honestly with a matter this sensitive I wouldn't want to risk running into issues with that. I'm active duty military with my home of record as Texas and a California drivers license(tho it has my NV address on it), any of this a problem going through the application process here?

Thanks again everyone
Alex

If you are a Nevada resident, in order for a concealed firearm permit to matter, it must be issued by the county which you are a resident of.

In my opinion, NLV ordinances are in violation of state law.