Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Costco?

Costco?

My wife, kids, and I went to Wholesale Sports in Federal Way yesterday to get a bowstring for a longbow we found for one of my sons. We all know OC is no problem at Wholesale Sports, so no big deal. We decided to go to Costco across the way instead of going to the Costco in Covington which is our usual one. Didn't have a single problem at Costco. We spent more than an hour in there. The only time I noticed anyone "notice" me was when we were heading to the exit for them to check the receipt. Two girls, around middle-school age, who were with their dad, kept turning around with wide eyes looking at my hip. I could see that one was asking the other, "Did you see that...?"

That's it.
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTattoo View Post
    I could see that one was asking the other, "Did you see that...?"
    You should have said to them, "Hey, up here. I have eyes, you know!"

Sounds like a normal Costco experience for me too. I go to the Woodinville one, never been asked to leave, no signs.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post
    Sounds like a normal Costco experience for me too. I go to the Woodinville one, never been asked to leave, no signs.
    Lucky. I was asked to leave when I was still using my hip holster.

Then, another day months later, I had to do something about my membership and some door greeter told me that he "thinks it's against store policies to have guns in the store" I told him "well it's not posted and you don't know" and took care of what I needed to. The member services ladies did not know about any such policy and thought it was odd that the greeter would even mention it. There was a gentleman who waited for me out side the store and complimented me on how I handled that greeter. He thought that OC like that was a good idea.
    Last edited by Freedom1Man; 04-23-2012 at 07:03 PM.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

I went to Costco in east Wenatchee today and the manager found me at the food court said corporate policy was against open carry. It wasn't posted at the doors and he didn't want to show me the policy. A few weeks ago I was in auburn Costco with no problems. When we were heading out t door the friend I was with said he was surprised I didn't get asked to leave.

From what I hear, Costco has an unpublished, unadvertised policy to not allow firearms in the store. The only time it is ever mentioned is when you're either asked to leave or asking corporate to rectify the situation. I wonder if the customers can create new rules that weren't in the agreement they signed like Costco can?
    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Psalms 23:4

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

“It’s always open season on criminals in Mason County, and there’s no bag limit.” Sen. Tim Sheldon (D)

Molōn labe!

Quote Originally Posted by xxx.jakk.xxx View Post
    From what I hear, Costco has an unpublished, unadvertised policy to not allow firearms in the store. The only time it is ever mentioned is when you're either asked to leave or asking corporate to rectify the situation. I wonder if the customers can create new rules that weren't in the agreement they signed like Costco can?
    It is published, there is a website but I am on the phone so don't have it right now. With that said, ill continue to carry and hold a membership until they ask me to leave in the hopes that my continuous display of non-events can help change there policy. Not saying it will...
    Last edited by slapmonkay; 04-23-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post
    It is published, there is a website but I am on the phone so don't have it right now. With that said, ill continue to carry and hold a membership until they ask me to leave in the hopes that my continuous display of non-events can help change there policy. Not saying it will...
    Kk, I did find a published policy.

https://costco.egain.net/system/self...edArticle=true

Great how it's not on the Costco.com website or even easily accessible from the website. It's not published on their website or in the membership pamphlet. It is not posted inside or outside of the store. =\
    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Psalms 23:4

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

“It’s always open season on criminals in Mason County, and there’s no bag limit.” Sen. Tim Sheldon (D)

Molōn labe!

Of course that doesn't stop all the people who conceal. Never mind the irony about them wanting their members all disarmed for their "protection". As if the place had some sort of super security that could prevent criminals from raiding the place.

Quote Originally Posted by sirpuma View Post
    Of course that doesn't stop all the people who conceal. Never mind the irony about them wanting their members all disarmed for their "protection". As if the place had some sort of super security that could prevent criminals from raiding the place.
    They must not of installed the super security feature in Spokane....

http://www.krem.com/news/local/Polic...136494813.html
    Live Free or Die!

costco

My wife, kids, and I went to Wholesale Sports in Federal Way yesterday to get a bowstring for a longbow we found for one of my sons. We all know OC is no problem at Wholesale Sports, so no big deal. We decided to go to Costco across the way instead of going to the Costco in Covington which is our usual one. Didn't have a single problem at Costco. We spent more than an hour in there. The only time I noticed anyone "notice" me was when we were heading to the exit for them to check the receipt. Two girls, around middle-school age, who were with their dad, kept turning around with wide eyes looking at my hip. I could see that one was asking the other, "Did you see that...?"

That's it.
    Hey spyder were they looking at your sidearm or was your fly open HaHa
    I truly Love my Country, But the government scares the he!! out of me.

DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

All hail the Domain of Neptunus Rex

Kk, I did find a published policy.

https://costco.egain.net/system/self...edArticle=true

Great how it's not on the Costco.com website or even easily accessible from the website. It's not published on their website or in the membership pamphlet. It is not posted inside or outside of the store. =\
    Can we get this link stickied for the next Costco thread? It would be helpful to refer to.

This has been posted before. Please note the line:

By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.
    There is no mention of firearms in the "Rules Privileges, and Conditions". This is just another "opinion piece" by a Costco employee.

If they want to ban firearms then say so in the "Rules" that they publish.

If they only knew how many firearms are actually carried at their locations by their customers. They only know about the ones they see. How many concealed firearms would one guess are in the store on a given day?
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    This has been posted before. Please note the line:

There is no mention of firearms in the "Rules Privileges, and Conditions". This is just another "opinion piece" by a Costco employee.

If they want to ban firearms then say so in the "Rules" that they publish.

If they only knew how many firearms are actually carried at their locations by their customers. They only know about the ones they see. How many concealed firearms would one guess are in the store on a given day?
    This was why I let my membership expire then went and got a Sam's Club membership.
    They told me it was in my membership agreement. So I asked them to show me. It wasn't in their copy, my copy, or in a single document at the service desk.
    Everything was fine when I switched to Sam's Club until recently. I posted what happened in the south sound OC report.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar
    There is a reason I would only carry concealed at Costco. If people keep open carrying there, they will eventually add it to the signed membership agreement or put up signs like they did in Arizona when people kept pushing the issue.

Costco is widely considered to be the "blue state alternative" to Walmart & Sams. The people that shop there tend to have the attitude that gun ownership, & open carry especially, is a "red state" value. The anti gun movement mental grip will not fade as long as agit prop idiots in the anti gun movement are still around.

I like their food court, the cheap gas prices, & I think their milk tastes the best.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
    If people keep open carrying there, they will eventually add it to the signed membership agreement or put up signs like they did in Arizona when people kept pushing the issue.
    So exercising a right as one so chooses is "pushing the issue"?

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    According to most people I speak with, yes.

I have the right to travel and the right to transport my personal property on the public highways. So if your property includes handguns, rifle, parrot, whatever then if you carry all of those you are pushing the issue even in public.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

With private companies that are teetering in the edge, yes.

So you can have that right, so long as you don't exercise it.

Gotcha.

Gotcha.
    Just like how open carry is illegal in kommiefornia now. It's the fault of the OCers not the legislature right. (sarcasm x 1000)

That has got to be one of the most backward arguments that some gun owners use. It's sort of like a trailer queen car. Just for show, better not think about using it. (your rights)
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Sorry, private property rights trump your rights when you're on said private property.
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

Sorry, private property rights trump your rights when you're on said private property.
    Yes, that's true.

What I take issue with are those who disrespect those private property policies by continuing to carry (concealed or openly) when said company has a repetitive history of being anti-gun. I'm not just referring to Costco here, although it is a prime example. The attitude of "I'll just cover it with my shirt and keep giving them my money" makes no sense to me. They don't want your gun; don't give them your money or support.

Private property rights trump my personal rights, which is why I won't go onto private property that does not support my rights. YMMV.

Gotcha.
    The negative prohibitions of the Bill of Rights and the 14th amendment, apply to the actions of government, not private individuals and corporations.

The positive prohibitions that apply to private actors comes in the form of anti-discrimination law, regulations on parking, labor law, employment and public accommodations law, primarily passed by state governments under their plenary police powers.

When did Washington State pass a law requiring no discrimination in public accommodations against lawful gun owners in a similar fashion to other protected choices such as religion and marital status? Oh, that's right, they haven't. We're going to have a difficult enough time just getting parking lot protections. Your right on private property to carry openly, or even at all, or just being on the property, is solely at the whim of two authorities: The property owner, and the government using it's plenary police power with positive prohibitions against owner action against you.

When you sign the Costco membership agreement, there is regulations on your behavior. At this time, there is nothing in the agreement that speaks about firearms. That will change if you and others continue to open carry at Costco. You remember how Peets Coffee and California Pizza Kitchen banned all carry because people kept doing UOC at their California locations? That occurred because the anti-gunner groups successfully pressured them.

Your rights do not exist on private property, unless by their consent or positive prohibitions by a state under their plenary police power.

South Carolina also doesn't have open carry. Perhaps you should fix your own house before scolding people 3000 miles away for having prudence and discretion in open carrying? You have plenty of Sams Clubs in your neck of the woods, but we have maybe two Sams Clubs throughout the entire Seattle Metro area (North Seattle and Tacoma).
    Last edited by Gray Peterson; 05-02-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Don't forget the Sam's Club in Renton.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast